2022 Class Rankings and Discussion

37 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Where are the spots coming from to sign anyone, everyone can come back next year. I know some will transfer, go pro. but if they don't no open spots.

This is where I say, "I think I'll let the staff handle that concern, if it even is a concern.  They get paid to work through these types of issues."  Not really my worry.   😊   Go Hoosiers!

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

This is where I say, "I think I'll let the staff handle that concern, if it even is a concern.  They get paid to work through these types of issues."  Not really my worry.   😊   Go Hoosiers!

100%.  I can rattle off 4-5 plausible departures.  The players might be communicating their plans so the coaches can plan accordingly.  Nothing has to be “for sure” but broad strokes of what they think/hope.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

This is where I say, "its the off season just something to talk about. Don't reply if you dont want to talk about it. of course the staff is going to take care of it without talking to you first....😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

TJD will definitely be gone after this year, XJ is probably gone, and Rob, Hunter, Race, and Stewart might all decide to graduate and move on. There will be plenty of spots since not everyone will want to stay a 5th year. 

I've got it!  Professor Plum, in the conservatory, with a candlestick.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hippopotamo said:

TJD will definitely be gone after this year, XJ is probably gone, and Rob, Hunter, Race, and Stewart might all decide to graduate and move on. There will be plenty of spots since not everyone will want to stay a 5th year. 

College basketball is going to have a get old phase because of covid and the extra year.  Wise kids will play a 5th year for work on a free masters degree, regardless of overseas or other non nba opportunities.  

Wise coaches will also cash in on adding grown men vs tweener, undeveloped high schoolers.  There is no incentive to bring a kid that will have no immediate impact on winning.  Sadly this is now what the immediate future looks like.  Non power schools will actually be getting better freshman while they lose their upperclass talent.  That's my take on the immediate future.  I suspect the big dog programs will only recruit top 100 kids and then work the portal.  But that could all change if the nba ever changes the draft entry rules.  The portal is going to remain a hot commodity regardless though imo. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Indykev said:

This is where I say, "its the off season just something to talk about. Don't reply if you dont want to talk about it. of course the staff is going to take care of it without talking to you first....😊

Sorry.  I misunderstood your post.  Thought you were expressing a real concern versus a hypothetical one.  Apologies.  😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

College basketball is going to have a get old phase because of covid and the extra year.  Wise kids will play a 5th year for work on a free masters degree, regardless of overseas or other non nba opportunities.  

Wise coaches will also cash in on adding grown men vs tweener, undeveloped high schoolers.  There is no incentive to bring a kid that will have no immediate impact on winning.  Sadly this is now what the immediate future looks like.  Non power schools will actually be getting better freshman while they lose their upperclass talent.  That's my take on the immediate future.  I suspect the big dog programs will only recruit top 100 kids and then work the portal.  But that could all change if the nba ever changes the draft entry rules.  The portal is going to remain a hot commodity regardless though imo. 

Yep. This is going to trickle down to the players coming out of HS going to D1 since more spots will be taken by players using their extra year. So more of the borderline players will end up at D2 or NAIA schools and more of the borderline players for that level might end up at D3 schools. This will gradually work it's way back to normal as the current players use up that extra eligibility or move on without using it.

I think not every player in the transfer portal this year will find a spot to land at a D1 school. Schools' HS recruits are already signed and there are transferring extra eligibility players like Durham and Brunk transferring and counting against their new schools' limit. I just don't think there's enough scholarships for everyone.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2021 at 1:26 PM, NotIThatLives said:

I was super confused how you were saying you could make a 35% high school shooter a D1 43% shooter till I realized you were in a round about way saying it's much easier to make a 35% shooter great than a 10% shooter.  I was like dang.  This guy's a shot Doctor.  

Yes, much easier to coach talent that already has the skillset than to start from ground zero at this level unless you have a Vic Dipo and the WILL to be GREAT.  35% says the skillset is there and just need to adjust to the speed of the game but 10% takes total dedication and the desire to be GREAT but even then is left to fate.  Still don't understand why IU has not recruited more prolific shooters with these great %'s over athletes that can jump out of the gym and throw up bricks but hopefully CMW will change our culture.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Between2Halls said:

I am very intrigued by the different 2022 prospects we seem to be pursuing. It could turn into an incredible class. 

Agree. It is fascinating.  We’ve got Gunn who fits what Woody wants in terms of length.  But then there are a ton of scenarios.  

There are the Indiana kids in Washington and Smith.  Fife is connected with Washington.

We have Coach Kenya’s guys including Avery Brown, Ward and Rice.  

Then you have Coach Rosemond’s connections with Clowney, Julian Phillips and Banks.  

You have got Karaban and the recent guard offer in Trimble.  

And the summer recruiting season hasn’t even started.  It will be interesting to see Coach Woodson get out and get a good look at these guys.  I’m sure he will have a great feel for who he wants the most.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, hoosier_exotics said:

Trimble, Washington, Clowney,Gunn...  I could live with that

Why is everybody so high on Clowney? As of now, isn’t he a 3 star kid (or am I thinking of somebody else) that just happens to be 6’10?  Why are we drooling over this guy? Did he just blow up this past year and his ranking hasn’t reflected it yet? Not that I’m a huge fan of rankings, but that’s part of the anti-Smith argument... fact he doesn’t get much attention from the rankers and coaches. Believe I did see Clowney had some P5 offers but I don’t remember them being impressive schools. I could be way off here, going off aging memory! 

Edited by kyhoosier29

23 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Why is everybody so high on Clowney? As of now, isn’t he a 3 star kid (or am I thinking of somebody else) that just happens to be 6’10?  Why are we drooling over this guy? Did he just blow up this past year and his ranking hasn’t reflected it yet? Not that I’m a huge fan of rankings, but that’s part of the anti-Smith argument... fact he doesn’t get much attention from the rankers and coaches. Believe I did see Clowney had some P5 offers but I don’t remember them being impressive schools. I could be way off here, going off aging memory! 

I definitely want this kid. Nothing against Smith, but this guy is oozing talent

• Like 3