Larry Smith Commits to Indiana

KDB

Ho hum....another 4 star out of Florida. Love it, love it, love it....Allen's message is being well received obviously in our 2 strongest states. IN and Florida. Can't tell you how long I've been begging an IU Coach to pound that state. So much talent to go around. Congrats to Larry Smith, his family, and our staff!

3 hours ago, KDB said:

Indiana's 2021 class moves up to #34 nationally and #10 in the Big Ten on 247Sports. 

Moves up to #22 nationally and #9 in the Big Ten on Rivals.

On 247, our top 4 recruits last year were worth 66.67 points.  This year our top 4 recruits are worth 66.21 points.  We have basically already matched our top 4 recruits from last year, and we only have 5 total commits.  This could be an awesome class.

3 hours ago, KDB said:

I like that he laid a couple hits and borderline taunted the guy he hit.  I don't want our guys getting up over somebody after a play, and I am confident Allen and company won't stand for any of that, but it shows that he's got a little attitude.  I like safeties that play with some attitude and don't back down from anybody.

Looks like he is real athletic too.  We should have some real competition at safety for a while.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Ho hum....another 4 star out of Florida. Love it, love it, love it....Allen's message is being well received obviously in our 2 strongest states. IN and Florida. Can't tell you how long I've been begging an IU Coach to pound that state. So much talent to go around. Congrats to Larry Smith, his family, and our staff!

Agree completely.  Honestly, Wilson was the first one who cranked it up on trying for bigger recruits.  He had been at some big schools and knew exactly the types of athletes he needed for his vision.   He shifted the mentality and Allen has extended it and taken it up a notch.   Allen had coached in the SEC and had seen the highest level of performance.  And Allen is pulling them in.  I’m sure LEO and the culture are part of it, but so is the style of play.  I don’t have a single complaint about the big picture.  

Would an IU team from pre-2010 have skill position recruits like Penix and Tuttle at qb, James at rb, Williams at receiver, etc?   Heck no.  We might not have even tried for some of those guys, and if we did, not really believe we could get them.  It’s all different now.   Facilities are a factor, no doubt, but we’ve caught up to a degree but it’s not like our facilities blow away the rest of the conference.  Far from it.  IMO, more than anything  really about the coaching staff and the approach for the team and player development.  

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Agree completely.  Honestly, Wilson was the first one who cranked it up on trying for bigger recruits.  He had been at some big schools and knew exactly the types of athletes he needed for his vision.   He shifted the mentality and Allen has extended it and taken it up a notch.   And Allen is pulling them in.  I’m sure LEO and the culture are part of it, but so is the style of play.  I don’t have a single complaint about the big picture.  

It is too bad Wilson's last couple years recruiting weren't very good.  We've had a ton of underclassmen playing last year and this year because of his last two classes.

He definitely made us more attractive to recruits though.  Under him, we stopped competing with mid major schools.  Before Wilson, if a recruit had any other Power 5 offers, it was a success.  Now a lot of our recruits have multiple Power 5 offers.

3 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

It is too bad Wilson's last couple years recruiting weren't very good.  We've had a ton of underclassmen playing last year and this year because of his last two classes.

He definitely made us more attractive to recruits though.  Under him, we stopped competing with mid major schools.  Before Wilson, if a recruit had any other Power 5 offers, it was a success.  Now a lot of our recruits have multiple Power 5 offers.

Yes, the days of having a class of two star and low three star try harder kids who narrowed it to Western Michigan, Central Michigan, Miami (Ohio), and IU are over.   

10 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Agree completely.  Honestly, Wilson was the first one who cranked it up on trying for bigger recruits.  He had been at some big schools and knew exactly the types of athletes he needed for his vision.   He shifted the mentality and Allen has extended it and taken it up a notch.   Allen had coached in the SEC and had seen the highest level of performance.  And Allen is pulling them in.  I’m sure LEO and the culture are part of it, but so is the style of play.  I don’t have a single complaint about the big picture.  

Would an IU team from pre-2010 have skill position recruits like Penix and Tuttle at qb, James at rb, Williams at receiver, etc?   Heck no.  We might not have even tried for some of those guys, and if we did, not really believe we could get them.  It’s all different now.   Facilities are a factor, no doubt, but we’ve caught up to a degree but it’s not like our facilities blow away the rest of the conference.  Far from it.  IMO, more than anything  really about the coaching staff and the approach for the team and player development.  

Don't want to take this thread a different direction but being a Canes fan all my life (family ties, first ever game in Orange Bowl,etc..) I can't tell you the number of Mothers in the state of Florida that want their kids to get out of town....i.e. go somewhere safe so you aren't hanging on the streets.

The elite, elite will always go to Miami, UF, FSU, Bama, Georgia, Clemson....but there are so many others who grew up in tough areas and the parents want them somewhere safe. Not saying this is the case with Larry Smith or others we've landed in Florida but it's certainly something that has been going on down there for 3 decades. Just glad we have a Coach thriving down there. He has Florida represented in all of his classes and last years bowl game will only help.

I was wearing an orange Hurricanes tee shirt just yesterday.  I have no connection to them.  I liked the school (and, who are we kidding, the weather) enough to consider it for law school (got in, but went to Bloomington).   They are a secondary team for me, since, if you drew a Venn diagram, there’s no overlap or conflict with IU.  I appreciated the way they played from the 1980s on.  I don’t actually follow them, but casually, out of the corner of my eye, I root for them.

Like IU in basketball, college football would be better off with the U re-emerging.  If they could grab some of the guys going to Bama, LSU, and Clemson from South Florida, it might balance out the sport so it’s not so redundant watching the same 3-4 teams at the end.  The other two biggies who need to re-emerge are USC and Texas.   

8 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I was wearing an orange Hurricanes tee shirt just yesterday.  I have no connection to them.  I liked the school (and, who are we kidding, the weather) enough to consider it for law school (got in, but went to Bloomington).   They are a secondary team for me, since, if you drew a Venn diagram, there’s no overlap or conflict with IU.  I appreciated the way they played from the 1980s on.  I don’t actually follow them, but casually, out of the corner of my eye, I root for them.

Like IU in basketball, college football would be better off with the U re-emerging.  If they could grab some of the guys going to Bama, LSU, and Clemson from South Florida, it might balance out the sport so it’s not so redundant watching the same 3-4 teams at the end.  The other two biggies who need to re-emerge are USC and Texas.   

Manny dodged a bullet this past season. Recruits still buying....but he better deliver a little more this year or a pro town like Miami will say enough is enough again. Very similar to IU Hoops in that regard. So proud. Confident/Arrogant fan base.....just tired of not doing what we should do which is compete on the national level. 

Ok, last one.  The two things that made me appreciate the U were their team speed and the competitiveness of the team.  I remember one of their teams playing and the announcer said “this is the fastest team I can remember and that’s just at linebacker.”  It was maybe Jesse Armstead, Darrin Smith and another pro that could run.  The overall team speed is something I believe in. It creates synergies.  

Second, the number of insane winners that came out of there, from Michael Irvin to Ed Reed, created just an amazing culture.   If somebody wants to argue that Bama has become what the U was, I’d say that the U was a better program and would take it to Bama.  The list of players would make anybody gulp.  

Bringing it back to IU, some of these traits help provide my point of view.  I think our team speed has become much better.  It’s not just speed at receiver, running back, and corner.  It’s linebackers, tight ends, defensive linemen.  Allen is getting guys who can run.  And our fight and competitiveness have ratcheted up.  

6 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Ok, last one.  The two things that made me appreciate the U were their team speed and the competitiveness of the team.  I remember one of their teams playing and the announcer said “this is the fastest team I can remember and that’s just at linebacker.”  It was maybe Jesse Armstead, Darrin Smith and another pro that could run.  The overall team speed is something I believe in. It creates synergies.  

Second, the number of insane winners that came out of there, from Michael Irvin to Ed Reed, created just an amazing culture.   If somebody wants to argue that Bama has become what the U was, I’d say that the U was a better program and would take it to Bama.  The list of players would make anybody gulp.  

Bringing it back to IU, some of these traits help provide my point of view.  I think our team speed has become much better.  It’s not just speed at receiver, running back, and corner.  It’s linebackers, tight ends, defensive linemen.  Allen is getting guys who can run.  And our fight and competitiveness have ratcheted up.  

Armstead, Smith, and Michael Barrow. Just sick to think about in college. 

Archived