NBA Horse Tournament

Wasn't interested in it when I first heard about it.  Then, when I read in the Denver Post that Chauncey Billups is now a participant... it has become must watch for me.  At least for the first round. LOL
How about you, HSN ?   Something you will watch ? Or pass on ?

NBA HORSE Tournament - How to watch on ESPN, bracket and more

12 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Wasn't interested in it when I first heard about it.  Then, when I read in the Denver Post that Chauncey Billups is now a participant... it has become must watch for me.  At least for the first round. LOL
How about you, HSN ?   Something you will watch ? Or pass on ?

NBA HORSE Tournament - How to watch on ESPN, bracket and more

Have no interest at all, rather watch old IU games on YouTube

Remember when they did short games of H-O-R-S-E during halftime of NBA games back in the 70's or 80's? About a month ago I watched one on YouTube between Pete Maravich and George Gervin.  I was pretty surprised how badly Gervin out-shot the pistol.  Pete put letters on Gervin using trick shots, but Gervin was clearly the better shooter on that day.

Pistol v.s. The Ice Man

5 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Remember when they did short games of H-O-R-S-E during halftime of NBA games back in the 70's or 80's? About a month ago I watched one on YouTube between Pete Maravich and George Gervin.  I was pretty surprised how badly Gervin out-shot the pistol.  Pete put letters on Gervin using trick shots, but Gervin was clearly the better shooter on that day.

Pistol v.s. The Ice Man

Thanks for the video. You most likely remember this one :

Larry Bird vs. Michael Jordan Horse Challenge

16 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Pistol v.s. The Ice Man

I was watching Game 6 of the NBA Finals on NBATV the other day, it was the Bill Walton Blazers vs. the Dr. J Sixers. Crazy thing about the game was they kept promoting the NBA Dunk Contest happening live at halftime, of which Dr. J was participating. 

Those were definitely different times. 

As far as the Horse contest, I’m interested and will watch for as long as it keeps my interest. It’s a fun idea, and kudos to the people that cake up with it. It’s a nice distraction. 

Not to derail the thread, but the video I posted earlier was part of a bunch I watched about Maravich. 

It's neat because of several reasons with Indiana and IU connection: Jon McGlockin on the Bucks, Walt Bellamy on the Hawks, and Oscar Robertson's first season with Milwaukee.  Definitely a different flavor of  the game back then.  There's also a fun, entire game, of Pete going for 60-something points. (hint: he almost never missed a shot).

Here's the whole game from 1970 of his NBA debut 

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I was watching Game 6 of the NBA Finals on NBATV the other day, it was the Bill Walton Blazers vs. the Dr. J Sixers. Crazy thing about the game was they kept promoting the NBA Dunk Contest happening live at halftime, of which Dr. J was participating. 

Those were definitely different times. 

As far as the Horse contest, I’m interested and will watch for as long as it keeps my interest. It’s a fun idea, and kudos to the people that cake up with it. It’s a nice distraction. 

Yeah, I remember listening to a Pacer game on the radio and after the game they were taping a contest between Darnell Hillman and somebody on the other team (I was a big fan of Dr. Dunk).  They actually covered the contest on the radio broadcast and Bob Lamey was losing his mind at how long it was taking because Don Criqui had to keep having his hair and makeup done. ha.

3 hours ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Not to derail the thread, but the video I posted earlier was part of a bunch I watched about Maravich. 

It's neat because of several reasons with Indiana and IU connection: Jon McGlockin on the Bucks, Walt Bellamy on the Hawks, and Oscar Robertson's first season with Milwaukee.  Definitely a different flavor of  the game back then.  There's also a fun, entire game, of Pete going for 60-something points. (hint: he almost never missed a shot).

Here's the whole game from 1970 of his NBA debut 

I am just half way through the game. But I had to come back to thank you, so much for this contribution. I am loving it.  Yep, IU's McGlockin.  Plus my all time favorite IUBB player, Walter ( Big Bell) Bellamy.  Just two teams. But amazing how many NBA greats are in that game.... like Alcindor, and Hazzard.  Oh... had a chuckle that "Pistol Pete".... college basketball's all time scorer,  at the time,  was held out of the game at first, cause his coach wanted to bring him along slowly.  LOL

I don't see how anyone can watch the Pistol Pete game in think any of those guys could play today. Not to derail the thread, but the reason you could run your offense 15 feet from the basket is because the defenses were atrocious. I know things got a lot better by the 80s, but yikes. 

"Smooth". "Mr.Big Shot".... Chauncey Billups moves on despite falling behind early to Trae Young.  Had to be filmed early. As it was 70 degrees in Denver on Saturday.  And snowing most of the day on Sunday.

Tamika Catchings. In Indy. Up now. 

Archived