Pulled pork

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pro tip- Meat related so I'll put this here. I'm in charge of buying hams,etc...for less fortunate families in Indy area for our church. Can't say it for all stores but Kroger routinely marks hams way down day before or day of holidays. The hams I bought this morning that were going for $28-$34 on Thursday/Friday are now $9-$10 each today. So instead of only getting 15-20 hams....I bought 45 this morning which means instead of just 15 +families....we get to give so many more away. 

During tough times it helps to know little tricks....or doesn't even have to be during tough times. 

PS....I love Pulled Pork and that looks phenomenal. 

49 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Pro tip- Meat related so I'll put this here. I'm in charge of buying hams,etc...for less fortunate families in Indy area for our church. Can't say it for all stores but Kroger routinely marks hams way down day before or day of holidays. The hams I bought this morning that were going for $28-$34 on Thursday/Friday are now $9-$10 each today. So instead of only getting 15-20 hams....I bought 45 this morning which means instead of just 15 +families....we get to give so many more away. 

During tough times it helps to know little tricks....or doesn't even have to be during tough times. 

Bless you.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Great story. In Greensburg the Bread of life big fundraiser is a Turkey Noodle dinner in March. On Thanksgiving morning I go to Walmart and buy a bunch of frozen ones for a fraction of the usual cost then donate them in February 

14 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Great story. In Greensburg the Bread of life big fundraiser is a Turkey Noodle dinner in March. On Thanksgiving morning I go to Walmart and buy a bunch of frozen ones for a fraction of the usual cost then donate them in February 

Bless you too.

13 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Great move! I do the same just for my house and friends. The Kroger in Carmel and Nora have thawed turkeys the night before Thanksgiving and day of for 80% off. I'll never understand the idea of paying full fare. 

4 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I never understood how much need was in our community until I started volunteering there. Made me feel even more blessed.   Thanks Mile

There is always a need.  We live in one of the most affluent counties in the entire country.  Yet. Through our church, have contributed to a local food bank for decades now.  Used to work there. People were so grateful.  Don't work there any longer.  But still have not stopped contributing.  The need has not ever stopped. 

23 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

There is always a need.  We live in one of the most affluent counties in the entire country.  Yet. Through our church, have contributed to a local food bank for decades now.  Used to work there. People were so grateful.  Don't work there any longer.  But still have not stopped contributing.  The need has not ever stopped. 

Well said. Our elementary school handed our 2000 meals on Friday.  There are out there every day

Wife does not feel comfortable working to help because we cant take any chances of exposing Ayden. Proud of what they are doing

Many kids in our area would not he eating if not for this.program and others like it

Drumroll please....... the sauce originally turned out spicier than I anticipated and I could barely get it into that bowl because it was falling apart so much but once I got the meat shredded the spice was fine. I then added one more bottle of bbq sauce to finish it off.... in total it was marinated for 12 hours then cooked 7 more in the oven.

2E22ABD3-850C-427C-BB3E-DCD49ED55C21.jpeg

776EA4DA-0E03-4A9A-9EAE-01E7DC847614.jpeg

EC4AB96F-91FD-4086-B68D-A2F652219EB4.jpeg

14 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Well said. Our elementary school handed our 2000 meals on Friday.  There are out there every day

Wife does not feel comfortable working to help because we cant take any chances of exposing Ayden. Proud of what they are doing

Many kids in our area would not he eating if not for this.program and others like it

School districts all over Colorado are having their bus drivers delivering food to those in need.

Denver Public Schools Announces More Grab & Go Sites Plus Meal Delivery – CBS Denver

1 minute ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Drumroll please....... the sauce originally turned out spicier than I anticipated and I could barely get it into that bowl because it was falling apart so much but once I got the meat shredded the spice was fine. I then added one more bottle of bbq sauce to finish it off.... in total it was marinated for 12 hours then cooked 7 more in the oven.

2E22ABD3-850C-427C-BB3E-DCD49ED55C21.jpeg

776EA4DA-0E03-4A9A-9EAE-01E7DC847614.jpeg

EC4AB96F-91FD-4086-B68D-A2F652219EB4.jpeg

Great thread. Apologies for the partial hijack. Looks great !

22 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

No need to apologize that stuff mentioned is very important and if me discussing pulled pork gets word out there I’m a happy camper 

You have been a valued member. Ever since the start up of HSN 3.0.  Do appreciate all you do for our site.  Just sad that you are in Illinois.  Just kidding. 

Try some pineapple with your next pulled pork.  Trust me.  You will not regret it.

4 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

You have been a valued member. Ever since the start up of HSN 3.0.  Do appreciate all you do for our site.  Just sad that you are in Illinois.  Just kidding. 

Try some pineapple with your next pulled pork.  Trust me.  You will not regret it.

Thank you for the kind words I appreciate it. It is sad I’m in Illinois but I did spend a lot of summers at my grandparents house in brown county so I do have Indiana in my blood.

Archived