Pulled pork

1 hour ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Thank you for the kind words I appreciate it. It is sad I’m in Illinois but I did spend a lot of summers at my grandparents house in brown county so I do have Indiana in my blood.

Brown County. One of my most favorite places in all of this great country of ours.  And trust me, when I say I have been around to many great places in this country.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Brown County. One of my most favorite places in all of this great country of ours.  And trust me, when I say I have been around to many great places in this country.

My grandpa owned from the corner of the state park all the way to where the golf course is And farmed that and the old gas station across the street from the golf course and sold everything but the gas station to the state of Indiana and the rest is history.

2 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

My grandpa owned from the corner of the state park all the way to where the golf course is And farmed that and the old gas station across the street from the golf course and sold everything but the gas station to the state of Indiana and the rest is history.

Maybe you can help me here. As I can't recall the name of the restaurant in downtown Nashville.  Took the mile family there several times. Not even sure if it is still in operation. However they served the greatest breakfasts.  Family style.  Oh it was so good. 

Great memories for you. 

Ride Around Tour Of Nashville, Indiana A Cute Little Town 

15 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Maybe you can help me here. As I can't recall the name of the restaurant in downtown Nashville.  Took the mile family there several times. Not even sure if it is still in operation. However they served the greatest breakfasts.  Family style.  Oh it was so good. 

Great memories for you. 

Ride Around Tour Of Nashville, Indiana A Cute Little Town 

Brown county inn? Yes they lived way up on the hill behind the gas station and had a wrap around porch with green AstroTurf. It overlooked the golf course so sunrise and sunset was perfect.

11 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Brown county inn? Yes they lived way up on the hill behind the gas station and had a wrap around porch with green AstroTurf. It overlooked the golf course so sunrise and sunset was perfect.

Yes. Know about the BCI. Ate there as a student, with a GF of mine at the time.  However don't think that is the restaurant I am thinking of.  It was on the main street in Nashville. Kind of diagonal from the Dillinger museum (at that time ).  Memories.

2 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Yes. Know about the BCI. Ate there as a student, with a GF of mine at the time.  However don't think that is the restaurant I am thinking of.  It was on the main street. Kind of diagonal from the Dillinger museum (at that time ).  Memories.

I remember the Dairy Queen with the putt put golf and the tarot card lady that had a business.

6 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Yes. Know about the BCI. Ate there as a student, with a GF of mine at the time.  However don't think that is the restaurant I am thinking of.  It was on the main street in Nashville. Kind of diagonal from the Dillinger museum (at that time ).  Memories.

The Nashville House. The Grand daughter Of the past owner is in the process of reopening it As we speak. I fly with her Husband. 
It’s going to have an upstairs and down stairs bar and they are thinking of having a bakery/ pastry section. 
According to him, her GP was friends with the gentlemen that created the Cracker Barrel chain. The Nashville House was his inspiration for the concept.  

36 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

The Nashville House. The Grand daughter Of the past owner is in the process of reopening it As we speak. I fly with her Husband. 
It’s going to have an upstairs and down stairs bar and they are thinking of having a bakery/ pastry section. 
According to him, her GP was friends with the gentlemen that created the Cracker Barrel chain. The Nashville House was his inspiration for the concept.  

That's it....at least I think it's the one they were asking about. We used to go camping every summer in Brown County growing up and tried to rough it most of the time but always saved one big meal at Nashville House. My introduction to apple butter. Hopefully they can open again!

46 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Yes. Yes !  That's the one.  I was sad when I learned it was closing. So happy to learn it may be opening up again.  I don't think I have ever had fried biscuits, other than at the Nashville House. And as Seeking said....with apple butter.  UMMM.

17 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

I never understood how much need was in our community until I started volunteering there. Made me feel even more blessed.   Thanks Mile

Our Church hosts the Food for Meriwether (county) monthly, which feeds an average of 250 families! Last week instead of our own risking the virus, the Georgia National Guard came and helped distribute! God Bless America!

11 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Our Church hosts the Food for Meriwether (county) monthly, which feeds an average of 250 families! Last week instead of our own risking the virus, the Georgia National Guard came and helped distribute! God Bless America!

God bless your church.  And though I never held the National Guard in high respect, after my time in the regular Army, having to serve summers in California with National Guard units , after getting out. And having a duece and a half drive over my fox hole in the middle of the night... May God bless the National Guard for the service they are doing now.

On 4/11/2020 at 6:49 PM, IUfaninIllinois said:

Drumroll please....... the sauce originally turned out spicier than I anticipated and I could barely get it into that bowl because it was falling apart so much but once I got the meat shredded the spice was fine. I then added one more bottle of bbq sauce to finish it off.... in total it was marinated for 12 hours then cooked 7 more in the oven.

2E22ABD3-850C-427C-BB3E-DCD49ED55C21.jpeg

776EA4DA-0E03-4A9A-9EAE-01E7DC847614.jpeg

EC4AB96F-91FD-4086-B68D-A2F652219EB4.jpeg

Looks amazing.  Get yourself a smoker arou d father's day.  Great prices around then.  

1 hour ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Surprisingly I actually can’t stand smoked food. I don’t know why but I just can’t do it.

I can understand that...

I've eaten quite a bit of meat that's been overly smoked...even in BBQ restaurants they can get carried away...

But someone who knows what they're doing can really enhance the flavor by smoking...

The 3 keys to me are what kind of rub you're using, what kind of wood you're using, and how much smoke you're putting on it...

• 1 month later...

Could use some advice. I’ve done a couple pork roasts, but have had issues with the meat have a slightly bitter aftertaste. I’ve tried different methods of cooking, brining and not brining, taken out potential seasonings that could cause it, etc. 

Any advice? I’ve researched it and can’t find anything useful to explain it. I could understand it being a bad cut of meat if it was just once, but it’s happened multiple times. I love pulled pork and want to do it right. 

15 minutes ago, JaybobHoosier said:

Could use some advice. I’ve done a couple pork roasts, but have had issues with the meat have a slightly bitter aftertaste. I’ve tried different methods of cooking, brining and not brining, taken out potential seasonings that could cause it, etc. 

Any advice? I’ve researched it and can’t find anything useful to explain it. I could understand it being a bad cut of meat if it was just once, but it’s happened multiple times. I love pulled pork and want to do it right. 

What cooking methods have you used?  

12 minutes ago, JaybobHoosier said:

Smoking and crockpot. I had wondered in the crockpot if it was overcooked because it was left cooking while at work. 

For smoking, probably a buildup of creosote on the meat from too much smoke.  I always leave my vent 1/2 to 3/4 open so smoke doesnt build up too much. 

With crockpot, if cooked too long I would guess the fat turned rancid. 

7 hours ago, JaybobHoosier said:

Smoking and crockpot. I had wondered in the crockpot if it was overcooked because it was left cooking while at work. 

What are you smoking it on? I’d agree with mrflynn. You probably have too much smoke or just not a clean fire. 

11 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

For smoking, probably a buildup of creosote on the meat from too much smoke.  I always leave my vent 1/2 to 3/4 open so smoke doesnt build up too much. 

With crockpot, if cooked too long I would guess the fat turned rancid. 

I usually leave the vent mostly open. The only issue is I’ve done pork loins more recently and there have been no bitterness to it. 
Idk, will just have to keep trying. I am going to give my smoker a good cleaning this week, will see if that makes a difference. 

8 hours ago, JaybobHoosier said:

I usually leave the vent mostly open. The only issue is I’ve done pork loins more recently and there have been no bitterness to it. 
Idk, will just have to keep trying. I am going to give my smoker a good cleaning this week, will see if that makes a difference. 

So just clarify for me...

What kind of smoker/wood?

Are you smoking it first then putting it in the Crock-Pot or are you saying you've done them both ways with the same results?

Are you using a rub?

I've brined pork and turkey for years and never had an issue with it...so I'm not sure that would be the problem...

Boar taint is another possibility.  If you dont cut the nuts off of a pig early they will produce an excess of hormones.  Toxins and excess hormones are stored in fatty tissue. Boston butt is the popular choice for pulled pork and a fatty cut of meat. 

Archived