Richard Lagow future

Payday

Guys, 

While I realize there are those who might wish Richard had never arrived on campus, we have been inundated with top agents wanting to sign him and every agent has stated they think Richard will have a much better N.F.L. career so IU might well have at least some reason to be proud he was there at some point in the future. I admit I do not know this process from here out, have called on some buddies who played in the nfl for their guidance, but it does appear there is a chance for him. One of the agents listed records held by Richard (no smart asses, int’s is not one of them) and it is surprising. Even the game last Saturday, where we lost to pissants, the passing yardage ranked in the top 12 games ever at IU. When the stats are updated Richard will own three of the top ten games in IU history. Now I know these guys are promoters, but after listening to them it makes you want to cry that we did not have a run game and just a little more OC creativity this year. Hindsight is 20/20, but we could have really been good with just a few breaks.

That being said, with West, Donovan, Gest, Ellison, Luke, Tasir, the TE, backs getting bigger, the line getting stronger, two new qb’s coming in, and maybe a new OC, damn..... I like what is coming back next season. And that is not even all of them. 

I have a friend who gambles and I told him a long time ago that if you want to increase your odds, start betting based on the second string. All big ten teams can match up with the starters, but it is when they get tired or injured that the real game is played. We have a lot of offense depth coming back, fans should be excited. And if Allen knows defense and can plug in players, who knows. 

7 minutes ago, Payday said:

Guys, 

While I realize there are those who might wish Richard had never arrived on campus, we have been inundated with top agents wanting to sign him and every agent has stated they think Richard will have a much better N.F.L. career so IU might well have at least some reason to be proud he was there at some point in the future. I admit I do not know this process from here out, have called on some buddies who played in the nfl for their guidance, but it does appear there is a chance for him. One of the agents listed records held by Richard (no smart asses, int’s is not one of them) and it is surprising. Even the game last Saturday, where we lost to pissants, the passing yardage ranked in the top 12 games ever at IU. When the stats are updated Richard will own three of the top ten games in IU history. Now I know these guys are promoters, but after listening to them it makes you want to cry that we did not have a run game and just a little more OC creativity this year. Hindsight is 20/20, but we could have really been good with just a few breaks.

That being said, with West, Donovan, Gest, Ellison, Luke, Tasir, the TE, backs getting bigger, the line getting stronger, two new qb’s coming in, and maybe a new OC, damn..... I like what is coming back next season. And that is not even all of them. 

I have a friend who gambles and I told him a long time ago that if you want to increase your odds, start betting based on the second string. All big ten teams can match up with the starters, but it is when they get tired or injured that the real game is played. We have a lot of offense depth coming back, fans should be excited. And if Allen knows defense and can plug in players, who knows. 

Good luck to him. I surely hope there isn’t anyone who wishes he never came to IU. While he probably didn’t live up to expectations on a decision making/game management front he was still the best QB we had and, no disrespect to Ramsey. As I’ve posted before, if a guy like Gibran Hamden can get drafted and make an NFL squad I’m sure Lagow has a punchers chance. I for one will be rootig for him

21 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

Good luck to him. I surely hope there isn’t anyone who wishes he never came to IU. While he probably didn’t live up to expectations on a decision making/game management front he was still the best QB we had and, no disrespect to Ramsey. As I’ve posted before, if a guy like Gibran Hamden can get drafted and make an NFL squad I’m sure Lagow has a punchers chance. I for one will be rootig for him

I agree, I posted previously my preference this year to having Richard in over Ramsey.  I thought Richard gave us our best chance to win with our best weapons being at receiver and TE.  I think Ramsey could be solid, but someone I think could come in and give him a run for starter next year.  Overall I think the team overall was a disappointment but not Richard.

Glad he came to IU and wish him the best of luck going forward. I have openly wondered if the amount of interceptions he has thrown would hold him back.

However, there is a lack of quality QB play in the NFL at the moment, and he very well could find a great franchise to play for! Hope he does!

Richard was caught in the transition between coaches and that must have had an effect on him. Between Ok State, Juno, Wilson and Allen he went through way too many OCs. Richard handled the Ramsey situation with as much class as could be imagined. He remained a good teammate and mentor to Peyton. Those qualities are an indication of the upbringing he received from his parents. To me, the way he has conducted himself is much more impressive than records he set

I know I'm definitely glad he came here!  While there were times he didn't meet my expectations (I expected 40 touchdowns, no interceptions!), he still brought a lot to the table and was a great representative for IU on and off the field.

I think at a minimum he has the skills to get a tryout for an NFL team.  Best of luck!

Thank you all of you. I have another child who played d1 at LSU and the thing I have always told the kids is that they are simply occupying the seat for a very short period and years later when they have the luxury of having been associated with the school they want to be able to look back and say they were a positive to the school. The rest is all noise on the way through life. As for the OC and transitions

1 hour ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Richard was caught in the transition between coaches and that must have had an effect on him. Between Ok State, Juno, Wilson and Allen he went through way too many OCs. Richard handled the Ramsey situation with as much class as could be imagined. He remained a good teammate and mentor to Peyton. Those qualities are an indication of the upbringing he received from his parents. To me, the way he has conducted himself is much more impressive than records he set

I have talked to the agents calling and as bad as it was having to learn all the different offensive schemes, that is one thing they say plays heavily in his favor. He had to learn six different offensive schemes in his college career, never had the same offensive coach more than a year and in two instances changed offense a few games in the season. They say it is a plus because he knows all the terminology. Who knows. 

There is no doubt I have been frustrated at times, and the writings showed, but this has been a good group of people and that is not the case on some boards and I hope it stays that way. A couple of you were correct, I didn’t need to be reading during the season, but it is good to talk to some of you and I enjoyed talking on the private messages because I am a football junkie. Grew up with the Selmon brothers, played ball with Dickerson and James, step father’s brother played with Bart Starr and I used to go to one of the heisman trophy winners house as a kid and played with the trophy (which back in those days it was not the most coveted trophy). I get the feeling a lot of the folks on this board are old alums and maybe even ex players so yes, I did hope that Richard passed the test because those guys are the ones whose backs helped produce today’s opportunities.

11 minutes ago, Payday said:

Thank you all of you. I have another child who played d1 at LSU and the thing I have always told the kids is that they are simply occupying the seat for a very short period and years later when they have the luxury of having been associated with the school they want to be able to look back and say they were a positive to the school. The rest is all noise on the way through life. As for the OC and transitions

I have talked to the agents calling and as bad as it was having to learn all the different offensive schemes, that is one thing they say plays heavily in his favor. He had to learn six different offensive schemes in his college career, never had the same offensive coach more than a year and in two instances changed offense a few games in the season. They say it is a plus because he knows all the terminology. Who knows. 

There is no doubt I have been frustrated at times, and the writings showed, but this has been a good group of people and that is not the case on some boards and I hope it stays that way. A couple of you were correct, I didn’t need to be reading during the season, but it is good to talk to some of you and I enjoyed talking on the private messages because I am a football junkie. Grew up with the Selmon brothers, played ball with Dickerson and James, step father’s brother played with Bart Starr and I used to go to one of the heisman trophy winners house as a kid and played with the trophy (which back in those days it was not the most coveted trophy). I get the feeling a lot of the folks on this board are old alums and maybe even ex players so yes, I did hope that Richard passed the test because those guys are the ones whose backs helped produce today’s opportunities.

I know you are a proud father and deservedly so. I was a minority who never agreed with the QB change.  Still think OC and OL were the problems.  However, it allowed everyone interested in IUFB to see what a class act Rich is.  I hate how the season ended and I am as frustrated as any.  The W's and L's need to take back seat to recognizing what fine young men are playing for IU.  It is much more important to me to recognize what class representatives Rich and Rashard especially have shown themselves to be for IU on and off the field.  I hope I'm speaking for most of Hoosier Nation in thanking them for their contributions and wish them only the best whatever they pursue in life.  I could not be prouder of them and our other graduating seniors!!

Payday,

I am not an NFL scout or anything like that.  But that boy of yours has a cannon for an arm.  I would like to think I know NFL talent when I see it.  Richard passes the eye test.  IMHO.  Your boy will be fine, and I wish him the best of luck.  Just please......no Packers!!!!!!!  Anywhere else is fine!!!!!!  

6 hours ago, rico said:

Payday,

I am not an NFL scout or anything like that.  But that boy of yours has a cannon for an arm.  I would like to think I know NFL talent when I see it.  Richard passes the eye test.  IMHO.  Your boy will be fine, and I wish him the best of luck.  Just please......no Packers!!!!!!!  Anywhere else is fine!!!!!!  

Man Rico, we hope you are right. And I don’t know how anyone plays for the packers in that cold, but we will take whatever comes his way. Thank you all. Now, can someone please fix the basketball team.....without having to resort to criminal activities? 

Great luck to Richard.  I’m a bit of a football nut so I have checked out draft sites and Richard was listed on pre-season listings.  With his size and arm, I think he will get a shot.  6’6 guys with rocket arms do not grow on trees.  And it’s not like he’s a statue. I predict he gets at least a practice squad spot.  I just hope he goes to a franchise with some really good quarterback coaches.  

I have said on here since the beginning that I wish Richard came to IU as a freshman and developed over a four or five year period here.  I know he ran into some bad luck going to Stillwater then UConn and then JC (Cisco?).  I think quarterback is such a difficult spot to play, that some consistency would have helped.  I’d imagine the NFL scouts and coaches will take that into account.  He was a senior this year but he may have been the equivalent of about a soph or junior on the field.  

Either way, best wishes to the young man.  He will be a winner regardless of how the NFL turns out.  

• 2 weeks later...

Richard ended up being one of my favorite people to play at IU!  Regardless how the season ended and felt, he was a team player and showed a winning attitude. 

Best wishes to him in his pursuits on the field as well! I think he has a great chance to play at the next level.  By that ,I mean literally play if he lands someplace that does good work with their QBs, and can put a solid O-line in front of him.

I'm with anyone else who wishes he couldn't have found his way here earlier in his college career.

I do not wish for Mr. Lagow to have any bad luck in his future !! However ,  I AM THRILLED THAT HE AND HIS  25  INTERCEPTIONS THROWN DURING THE PAST 2 SEASONS ARE GONE , GONE , GONE , GONE , GONE !!

:P.S  I am hoping that IU NEVER ever has another Quarterback who throws 25 [or more] INTERCEPTIONS in LESS than TWO FULL SEASONS !!!

On 12/21/2017 at 12:31 PM, hoosiertildeath said:

I do not wish for Mr. Lagow to have any bad luck in his future !! However ,  I AM THRILLED THAT HE AND HIS  25  INTERCEPTIONS THROWN DURING THE PAST 2 SEASONS ARE GONE , GONE , GONE , GONE , GONE !!

:P.S  I am hoping that IU NEVER ever has another Quarterback who throws 25 [or more] INTERCEPTIONS in LESS than TWO FULL SEASONS !!!

And these were in the history of the program so you may get your wish and not live long enough to see it again. Hopefully 🤣 Righ at 10,000 passing yards for his college career....but I’m sure your accomplishments are far better. 

Lagow finished his career first in 400-yard passing games (2), fourth in 300-yard passing games (5), sixth in passing touchdowns (34) and completions (425), seventh in attempts (733), eighth in passing yardage (5,298) and ninth in total offense (5,060) on Indiana’s career lists. He graduated with a liberal studies degree in Dec. 2017.

2017 Honors: Team captain ... earned the team's LEO Award.

2017 (Senior): Started eight times and appeared in 10 games ... completed 172-of-295 (58.3 percent) for 1,936 yards, 15 touchdowns (T-9th in program history) and eight interceptions ... recorded two, three-TD games and six multi-TD games ... completed 40 passes (2nd in program history) in 65 attempts (1st in program history) for 410 yards (5th in program history) and three scores in the season opener against No. 2 Ohio State ... the 410 yards are the most ever for any Hoosier against the Buckeyes ... added 32 completions (T-9th in program history) and attempted 60 passes (3rd in program history) for 373 yards with three touchdowns in the season finale at Purdue ... went 32-of-48 (66.7) for 289 yards and two TDs in the win at Illinois ... followed that up going 17-of-28 (60.7) for 236 yards and a pair of scores in the Rutgers victory ... member of the Johnny Unitas Award, the Earl Campbell Tyler Rose Award and the Senior Bowl Watch Lists ... two-time IU offensive player of the game (Ohio State and Maryland) ... 12-time game captain.

2016 Honors: Honorable mention All-Big Ten (coaches) ... named IU’s Offensive Newcomer of the Year.

2016 (Junior): Finished 253-of-438 (57.8 percent) for 3,362 yards with 19 passing touchdowns, 17 interceptions, two rushing TDs and one receiving score ... ranked second in the Big Ten in passing yards per game (258.6, 28th nationally), third in yards per completion (13.3, 32nd) and completions (19.4, 39th), fifth in touchdowns (19), and sixth in total offense per game (250.3) and passing efficiency (128.8) ... sits second at IU in single-season passing yardage, third in attempts, tied for third in 300-yard games (3), fourth in completions and total offense (3,176), and sixth in passing TDs ... led the Big Ten in passing plays of 10-plus yards (136, 21st nationally), was second in 40-plus (15, T-12th), 30-plus (24, T-20th) and 20-plus yarders (48, T-25th), third in 50-plus yarders (7, T-17th), and tied for third in 70-plus (2, T-19th) and 60-plus yarders (3, T-25th) ... started all 13 games ... recorded three, three-touchdown games ... set the Indiana single-game mark with 496 yards along with three scores on 28-of-47 against Wake Forest ... the 496 yards were the most the in the Big Ten and the 12th-most nationally in 2016 ... threw for 394 yards, seventh all-time in school history, with three TDs on 28-of-40 (70.0) in the victory at Rutgers ... tossed three touchdowns, including a career-long 79-yarder, and went 17-of-27 (63.0) in the Ball State win ... completed 35-of-59 for 317 yards at Northwestern ... 59 attempts are tied for fourth and 35 completions are fourth in Hoosiers lore ... posted 276 yards with two passing scores and a 5-yard receiving TD in the victory over No. 17 Michigan State ... netted 292 yards and two touchdowns against No. 10 Penn State ... went 18-of-27 (66.7) for 240 yards and one passing and rushing score in his first career start at Florida International ... IU offensive player of the week (Michigan State) ... enrolled in spring classes and participated in practice.

Junior College: Quarterback for head coach Dionte Dean at Cisco (Texas) Community College ... rated the top-ranked, pocket-passing junior college quarterback by ESPN ... threw for 2,285 yards with 21 touchdowns and 10 interceptions in 2015 ... completed 66 percent (175-of-265) en route to Southwest Junior College Football Conference honorable mention accolades ... in 2014, passed for 2,221 yards and averaged 353.5 per game with 17 TDs and seven interceptions.

2013: Redshirted the 2013 season at Oklahoma State University.

Prep/Personal: Quarterback for head coach Jaydon McCullough at Plano High School ... completed 109-of-182 and racked up 1,968 yards during his senior campaign ... rushed for 12 scores and added eight through the air ... earned first team all-district honors ... Plano advanced to the Conference 5A Division I playoffs ... parents are DeAnn and Kyle Lagow ... Richard William Lagow was born on Sept. 14, 1994.

12 minutes ago, Payday said:

And these were in the history of the program so you may get your wish and not live long enough to see it again. Hopefully 🤣 Righ at 10,000 passing yards for his college career....but I’m sure your accomplishments are far better. 

Lagow finished his career first in 400-yard passing games (2), fourth in 300-yard passing games (5), sixth in passing touchdowns (34) and completions (425), seventh in attempts (733), eighth in passing yardage (5,298) and ninth in total offense (5,060) on Indiana’s career lists. He graduated with a liberal studies degree in Dec. 2017.

2017 Honors: Team captain ... earned the team's LEO Award.

2017 (Senior): Started eight times and appeared in 10 games ... completed 172-of-295 (58.3 percent) for 1,936 yards, 15 touchdowns (T-9th in program history) and eight interceptions ... recorded two, three-TD games and six multi-TD games ... completed 40 passes (2nd in program history) in 65 attempts (1st in program history) for 410 yards (5th in program history) and three scores in the season opener against No. 2 Ohio State ... the 410 yards are the most ever for any Hoosier against the Buckeyes ... added 32 completions (T-9th in program history) and attempted 60 passes (3rd in program history) for 373 yards with three touchdowns in the season finale at Purdue ... went 32-of-48 (66.7) for 289 yards and two TDs in the win at Illinois ... followed that up going 17-of-28 (60.7) for 236 yards and a pair of scores in the Rutgers victory ... member of the Johnny Unitas Award, the Earl Campbell Tyler Rose Award and the Senior Bowl Watch Lists ... two-time IU offensive player of the game (Ohio State and Maryland) ... 12-time game captain.

2016 Honors: Honorable mention All-Big Ten (coaches) ... named IU’s Offensive Newcomer of the Year.

2016 (Junior): Finished 253-of-438 (57.8 percent) for 3,362 yards with 19 passing touchdowns, 17 interceptions, two rushing TDs and one receiving score ... ranked second in the Big Ten in passing yards per game (258.6, 28th nationally), third in yards per completion (13.3, 32nd) and completions (19.4, 39th), fifth in touchdowns (19), and sixth in total offense per game (250.3) and passing efficiency (128.8) ... sits second at IU in single-season passing yardage, third in attempts, tied for third in 300-yard games (3), fourth in completions and total offense (3,176), and sixth in passing TDs ... led the Big Ten in passing plays of 10-plus yards (136, 21st nationally), was second in 40-plus (15, T-12th), 30-plus (24, T-20th) and 20-plus yarders (48, T-25th), third in 50-plus yarders (7, T-17th), and tied for third in 70-plus (2, T-19th) and 60-plus yarders (3, T-25th) ... started all 13 games ... recorded three, three-touchdown games ... set the Indiana single-game mark with 496 yards along with three scores on 28-of-47 against Wake Forest ... the 496 yards were the most the in the Big Ten and the 12th-most nationally in 2016 ... threw for 394 yards, seventh all-time in school history, with three TDs on 28-of-40 (70.0) in the victory at Rutgers ... tossed three touchdowns, including a career-long 79-yarder, and went 17-of-27 (63.0) in the Ball State win ... completed 35-of-59 for 317 yards at Northwestern ... 59 attempts are tied for fourth and 35 completions are fourth in Hoosiers lore ... posted 276 yards with two passing scores and a 5-yard receiving TD in the victory over No. 17 Michigan State ... netted 292 yards and two touchdowns against No. 10 Penn State ... went 18-of-27 (66.7) for 240 yards and one passing and rushing score in his first career start at Florida International ... IU offensive player of the week (Michigan State) ... enrolled in spring classes and participated in practice.

Junior College: Quarterback for head coach Dionte Dean at Cisco (Texas) Community College ... rated the top-ranked, pocket-passing junior college quarterback by ESPN ... threw for 2,285 yards with 21 touchdowns and 10 interceptions in 2015 ... completed 66 percent (175-of-265) en route to Southwest Junior College Football Conference honorable mention accolades ... in 2014, passed for 2,221 yards and averaged 353.5 per game with 17 TDs and seven interceptions.

2013: Redshirted the 2013 season at Oklahoma State University.

Prep/Personal: Quarterback for head coach Jaydon McCullough at Plano High School ... completed 109-of-182 and racked up 1,968 yards during his senior campaign ... rushed for 12 scores and added eight through the air ... earned first team all-district honors ... Plano advanced to the Conference 5A Division I playoffs ... parents are DeAnn and Kyle Lagow ... Richard William Lagow was born on Sept. 14, 1994.

Thank you for this, but you don't have to defend your son. His accomplishments on the field, and the way he comported himself off the field stand for themselves.HTD is a passionate fan, but in no way does he represent the majority of IU fans.

Enjoy your son's journey. I hope he gets an opportunity at the next level to carve out a professional career for himself 

On 12/21/2017 at 1:31 PM, hoosiertildeath said:

Really?  I am just shaking my head in disgust.  That was uncalled for.  

Archived