IU/Duke Game thread

milehiiu

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not trying to take shots at Crean, but it was so fun to watch a game like that and not scratch your head. Archie put the guys in great positions to be successful, used his timeouts when needed and our substitutions made sense. We simply didn’t make the plays down the stretch and lost to a much better team. 

Just now, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

What a fun game. Not going to get ahead of myself. I hope they bring this effort into all the games moving forward. Having no shooters is going to continue to hurt us. Have to play through DeRon to be successful. 

I agree. We feed De'Ron early and often and it will be the opponents bigs sitting with foul trouble 

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Also for Langford, if he wants to play at Vandy as opposed to an environment like IU has, then I don’t know what to say. As a basketball player you live for games/atmospheres like tonight. You do not get that at Vandy. 

Right on!! And IF Darius watched the game he saw it as well. No way Vandy has the same atmosphere!!! The "6th" man almost pulled this out, proud of the crowd!!

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Not trying to take shots at Crean, but it was so fun to watch a game like that and not scratch your head. Archie put the guys in great positions to be successful, used his timeouts when needed and our substitutions made sense. We simply didn’t make the plays down the stretch and lost to a much better team. 

I was just texting some buddies this. It is so nice to not feel out coached in this type game for a change. 

We definitely won some big games under Crean and he deserves credit, but it was as much about the team getting hot and everything clicking as it was our scheme. No one went off tonight, in fact our jump shooting was bad, but we still competed and found a way to get buckets against a bigger, better team. 

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

This was a good game to see. We don't have the athletes Duke has, and it helps when they get touch fouls on the block, but we really looked good. I feel good about saying we are a tournament team. 

Gotta continue to improve and it’s gonna take some wins on the road in conference but if we can do that we should be a tournament team. Need to work on free throws and learning how to take them out of their game plan on defense. It’s not enough to just say we covered their guys. We need to do a better job of dictating the flow of the game and be able to take away some of the things they want to do on offense. Overall I’m happy with the way we played and think we can beat Michigan on the road this weekend if we bring this kinda effort 

2 minutes ago, FWIUFan said:

FT's and lack of 3's cost us this game.  Both things that can be coached up.  No disappointment at all with this team.  They just need to keep listening to CAM!

I’m not sure 3-pt shooting can be “coached up”. We’re just don’t have great shooters on this team. It’s not a good shooting team. Yes, you can work on technique and get lots of shots up in practice, etc., but this team isn’t going to all of the sudden be a really good 3-pt shooting team. 

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I’m not sure 3-pt shooting can be “coached up”. We’re just don’t have great shooters on this team. It’s not a good shooting team. Yes, you can work on technique and get lots of shots up in practice, etc., but this team isn’t going to all of the sudden be a really good 3-pt shooting team. 

I agree but think with Hartman playing /shooting  more and others being more selective, our overall 3pt shooting can improve. Not going to be like like our teams of the last few years for sure. 

Just looking at the box score and realized Curtis Jones did not play tonight at all. I can't find any mention of an injury going into this one, so I assume this was a coaches DNP. He hasn't been particularly effective early on this season, but I'm surprised he didn't see any court time tonight. Am I missing something here? 

2 minutes ago, JerseyHoosier said:

Just looking at the box score and realized Curtis Jones did not play tonight at all. I can't find any mention of an injury going into this one, so I assume this was a coaches DNP. He hasn't been particularly effective early on this season, but I'm surprised he didn't see any court time tonight. Am I missing something here? 

He’s not good right now. 

Much more surprised by Smith only getting a couple minutes. 

He’s not good right now. 

I’m not that surprised. While Smith has played well, as opposed to CuJo, this was a big time game in a big time atmosphere against the #1 team. The type of game where you shorten the rotation and play the guys that you trust at the moment. Archie definitely doesn’t trust CuJo yet, and again while Smith has been good he’s really young and Hartman and Morgan have been there/done that before. No room for messing around in a game like this. 

He’s not good right now. 

That's what I figured....wasn't sure if I had missed an injury. And good call about Smith. Not sure why he only got 2 minutes on a night we needed length on the interior. I was wondering about his absence during the game. 

Disappointed that we lost, but man, I couldn't be more excited for the future. Not much to say that hasn't already been said. I will say this, though..

I don't know that there is anything I enjoy more right now than watching Devonte Green entry passes into the post. He uses great angles, he uses his pivot foot to create space, and the best part of all, he uses bounce passes. Love it.

Excited for the future.

Really frustrating to lose a game by ten we lead half the time.  Missed shots and the tall bald ref who always screws us was obnoxious.  Very impressed by the consistent improvement every game though. Lovin Archie so far.  First time i feel like we are a tourney team.

I'll echo all the other comments. Straight up with best team in country for 37 minutes, missed free throws,etc..never say 8 straight fouls called against IU at home before. Considering talent difference. Plenty of things to build off of with this game. Now the key will be to bring that energy/focus every night not just vs Duke in prime time slot/made for TV match up. 

13 minutes ago, Indykev said:

mind blowing stat.

Yep.  We've complained about our team playing "dumb" for the past several years and we're already seeing it finally come to an end.  I have no doubt Archie and the staff will do a much better job of maximizing talent.  Add some size and muscle up front and great shooters and we're going to be "in the discussion" before long.

Archived