IU/Duke Game thread

milehiiu

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Newkirk (32 minutes) and Green (28 minutes)  both had 8 points. 

Green had 4 assists to 1 turnover. 

Newkirk had 2 assists and 3 turnovers. 

Al with 1A/1TO

Liked what I saw from Green for the most part. Does he move ahead of Newkirk on the depth chart? 

Curtis Jones 0 mins

Where does everybody go to get the +/- stats on the players. Just curious to see what where Colin was at. 

On another note, while reading this thread during the game somebody called out Deron for having no talent, or low BB IQ, or something along those lines (hopefully out of frustration) which made me shake my head,, but I think/hope tonight could be a turning point.

Yes, I was yelling at the TV with every missed free throw too, but he TOOK IT AT 2 of the best players in the country. Normally he does a great job in the post, but I don't remember seeing Deron attacking with his physicality like we saw last night. If he continues to do that against the less talented and smaller defenders (and makes free throws of course) then watch out. He can't reserve that physicality for only the best. Hopefully tonight unleashed the beast from within and he's going to go Incredible Hulk on guys from here on out. 

Really fun game to watch.  Assembly Hall never disappoints.  Really well-coached game by Archie, love the structure on offense and defense.  Just not much you can do when Duke is so huge and talented, and the game is called the way it was.

On to the next one.  We have a chance to start the conference season off with 2 wins, which would be huge.  Looking like we have a good chance to do that if we continue to improve like we have every game so far.

Timing of the "Overated" near the first half was ill timed.  Not my favorite chant.  However, if you're going to use the "Overrated" chant, use it near the end of the game, when the outcome is out of doubt.

Overall, the crowd was great.  Before the game, Duke fans felt the crowd would be a sixth man, so to speak.  And the crowd did not disappoint.

There actually was a time in the second half, that I thought IU could pull off the upset.  Though it did not happen, IU's overall performance, short of free throw shooting, left me with a good feeling.  And high expectations as to what is yet to come. 

I was surprised to not see Hartman in at the end of the game during crunch time (I don't remember him being in anyway).  I was also surprised to see more minutes go to McRoberts than to Justin Smith.  Nothing against McRoberts, I just think you have more upside with Smith in to make some big plays and help out on the boards.

Duke’s bigs made it easy for them to stop the slightest hint of bleeding. They elevate so ridiculously well. Our buckets felt much more labored. Also, we weren’t even allowed to stand straight up and down, much less actually challenge an inside shot. 

In the end, Duke might be better 1-8 than our best player. I don’t think anyone beats Duke this year with a 25% 3-point percentage because you just can’t match them 2 for 2 for 40 minutes...though we came close. We had open 3s, but we seemed to really press/anxious to hit them, instead of taking a confident stroke. We did our job at the end, but the missed free throws were deflating and cost us an opportunity to win. I loved the energy and excitement of the team.

It was the best sporting event I’ve been to.  

16 minutes ago, HoosierCPA said:

I was surprised to not see Hartman in at the end of the game during crunch time (I don't remember him being in anyway).  I was also surprised to see more minutes go to McRoberts than to Justin Smith.  Nothing against McRoberts, I just think you have more upside with Smith in to make some big plays and help out on the boards.

Not surprised on Smith completely. This is the type of game you tighten your rotation and play the guys you trust. Not really saying Archie doesn't trust Smith, just that he's young, a little turnover prone at this point, etc., and with McRoberts you kind know what you're going to get (play hard, not get rattled, good D, no turnovers, etc.). Smith's minutes were always going to go down with Hartman's return, but I think last night they were so low just because of the game/atmosphere. 

I tell you that place was as electric as I have ever seen it and there wasn't an empty seat in the house but good game for both sides really. This is a game that Archie and the team can build off of and he has them in the right direction now of course free throws those need to be made Davis clunked two of those and if they made those it would be a different game.

I think we took 2 steps forward offensively in the 2d half.  DD is a man.  He schooled Carter in the 2d half.  Unfortunately he missed too many free throws, but if he can play without fouling (just 1 in 2d half), IU will be really tough offensively.   I think we are probably now elite (top 25) offensively.  DD still has a problem getting tired.

Defensively it was hard to tell if we have progressed against Duke.  They're just a very good offensive team.  Allen just made some great shots even guarded closely by RoJo.   You can't double team him or even shade over to him with their other weapons.  I think Allen has matured.  He just went about his business and didn't get chippy.  I think being the senior leader of this team has helped him.  He knows he can't lead his team and be the cause of a lot of drama.

RoJo was a man last night offensively and defensively.  He didn't hit the three, but he did go to the basket successfully often.

46 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Timing of the "Overated" near the first half was ill timed.  Not my favorite chant.  However, if you're going to use the "Overrated" chant, use it near the end of the game, when the outcome is out of doubt.

Overall, the crowd was great.  Before the game, Duke fans felt the crowd would be a sixth man, so to speak.  And the crowd did not disappoint.

There actually was a time in the second half, that I thought IU could pull off the upset.  Though it did not happen, IU's overall performance, short of free throw shooting, left me with a good feeling.  And high expectations as to what is yet to come. 

That chant was actually "F*** you Grayson".

Played well and I'm proud of our guys.  You just can't go 5-21 from 3 against maybe one of the best college basketball teams ever and hope to win.   I predicted a loss because we have no lights out shooter like Hulls, Watford, Yogi, or JBJ.  If we did we would've won.  Still highly impressed by our guys.

Archived