IU/Duke Game thread

milehiiu

20 minutes ago, slojoe said:

I think we took 2 steps forward offensively in the 2d half.  DD is a man.  He schooled Carter in the 2d half.  Unfortunately he missed too many free throws, but if he can play without fouling (just 1 in 2d half), IU will be really tough offensively.   I think we are probably now elite (top 25) offensively.  DD still has a problem getting tired.

Defensively it was hard to tell if we have progressed against Duke.  They're just a very good offensive team.  Allen just made some great shots even guarded closely by RoJo.   You can't double team him or even shade over to him with their other weapons.  I think Allen has matured.  He just went about his business and didn't get chippy.  I think being the senior leader of this team has helped him.  He knows he can't lead his team and be the cause of a lot of drama.

Decided to check out the KenPom rankings on offense and defense to see where we stand after last night’s game.  Right now, we’re #30 on offense, and #219 on defense.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Timing of the "Overated" near the first half was ill timed.  Not my favorite chant.  However, if you're going to use the "Overrated" chant, use it near the end of the game, when the outcome is out of doubt.

Overall, the crowd was great.  Before the game, Duke fans felt the crowd would be a sixth man, so to speak.  And the crowd did not disappoint.

There actually was a time in the second half, that I thought IU could pull off the upset.  Though it did not happen, IU's overall performance, short of free throw shooting, left me with a good feeling.  And high expectations as to what is yet to come. 

Agree with your thoughts on the chant and the crowd. 

The part about the upset, I kept thinking if we can push the lead to 8 or 10 on them in the second half (I think we were up 73 - 69 with about 6:00 to go), we could pull it off. But Duke, and Grayson, never let us get any separation and really closed it out the last 3 or 4 minutes - gotta give them credit.

Like others have said, I am excited about the future of this team and the program. We played a great, complete game (offense and defense) thanks to Archie and the coaching staff. The players deserve credit too, but for the first time in 5 or 6 years, no one is on here saying we got outcoached in some aspect of the game.

1 minute ago, Coach1K said:

Ouch

All bias aside - there were SO many and-1 calls for Duke that were just ticky-tacky.  That last foul on DDavis for the floater was a complete joke.  Rojo of course fell asleep on D for that one.  Couldn't believe we fouled down 8 but give up 5 seconds later.  Hate that I couldn't relish in the silver lining moral victory last night -- instead I owe some big bucks this week!

Just now, hoosierdaddy said:

All bias aside - there were SO many and-1 calls for Duke that were just ticky-tacky.  That last foul on DDavis for the floater was a complete joke.  Rojo of course fell asleep on D for that one.  Couldn't believe we fouled down 8 but give up 5 seconds later.  Hate that I couldn't relish in the silver lining moral victory last night -- instead I owe some big bucks this week!

Yeah there were some questionable calls last night and the refs missed a few travels and other things and IU didn't get very many of those calls.

1 hour ago, cohete15 said:

Duke’s bigs made it easy for them to stop the slightest hint of bleeding. They elevate so ridiculously well. Our buckets felt much more labored. Also, we weren’t even allowed to stand straight up and down, much less actually challenge an inside shot. 

In the end, Duke might be better 1-8 than our best player. I don’t think anyone beats Duke this year with a 25% 3-point percentage because you just can’t match them 2 for 2 for 40 minutes...though we came close. We had open 3s, but we seemed to really press/anxious to hit them, instead of taking a confident stroke. We did our job at the end, but the missed free throws were deflating and cost us an opportunity to win. I loved the energy and excitement of the team.

It was the best sporting event I’ve been to.  

Lucky you. Has your voice recovered? Hearing?

Just now, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

There was smoke he was going to commit back in October but that has dissipated. His recruitment is still very much open but we look to be in strong position.

"Not only is Indiana now capable of defending the nation’s best team on the perimeter, but at the offensive end, Miller has somehow transformed this program into one of careful thought and intellect, which has to stun every fan that has followed this program over its recent past."

http://www.news-sentinel.com/sports/2017/11/30/tom-davis-indiana-basketball-has-been-transformed-quickly-by-archie-miller/

1 hour ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

That chant was actually "F*** you Grayson".

No. There was also an Overrated Chant in addition to the Grayson chant.  My Duke buddies talked about it with me.... and I also saw some posts on one of the Duke boards about the Overrated chant.

2 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

No. There was also an Overrated Chant in addition to the Grayson chant.  My Duke buddies talked about it with me.... and I also saw some posts on one of the Duke boards about the Overrated chant.

Think they may have thought they heard that. As many thought they did. But don't think it actually happened.

15 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I was so impressed with how Archie managed Davis in the second half.  He pulled him right before the TV timeout multiple times to keep him fresh so he wouldn't commit a stupid foul.  Reall loved seeing that after years of frustration with our subs. 

Totally with you on how Archie managed the lineup, he had a great game plan.  Not questioning him at all, but I would be interested to know why he didn’t have Hartman on the floor down the stretch. 

Just now, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Think they may have thought they heard that. As many thought they did. But don't think it actually happened.

Sure sounded like overrated to me.  I have a sound system in my man cave, and can fine tune in background noise as well as tune it out.  I had it tuned all the way up for the Duke game, so I could feel like part of the crowd.  I heard the Grayson chant.... as well as an Overrated chant that came very near the end of the first half. 

16 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I heard the other one but not the overrated chant.

13 minutes ago, Coach1K said:

I heard the other one but not the overrated chant.

Granted, it was not very loud.  But I heard it.  And, so did some Duke fans. 

And, from TDD, their game thread, on page 9, near the middle of the page,  1dukeblue wrote :

"You don't chant overrated in the first half babies...LOL.  Blow them out guys !!

Duke Basketball plays at Indiana in ACC/Big Ten Challenge Wednesday night

7 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Granted, it was not very loud.  But I heard it.  And, so did some Duke fans. 

And, from TDD, their game thread, on page 9, near the middle of the page,  1dukeblue wrote :

"You don't chant overrated in the first half babies...LOL.  Blow them out guys !!

Duke Basketball plays at Indiana in ACC/Big Ten Challenge Wednesday night

That thread makes it even clearer that they were confusing the Grayson chant for the overrated chant.

image.thumb.png.e918f7cfa7bc41347b25be19c157c642.png

53 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Totally with you on how Archie managed the lineup, he had a great game plan.  Not questioning him at all, but I would be interested to know why he didn’t have Hartman on the floor down the stretch. 

I'd guess because he wanted Morgan and Davis in the game. 

Archived