IU/Duke Game thread

milehiiu

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

No. There was also an Overrated Chant in addition to the Grayson chant.  My Duke buddies talked about it with me.... and I also saw some posts on one of the Duke boards about the Overrated chant.

I didn't catch the overrated chant but can see how people can confuse one with the other. In honestly the Grayson one shouldn't have been chanted because you are in a public venue and clearly Chuck kindly told them not to. 

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Sure sounded like overrated to me.  I have a sound system in my man cave, and can fine tune in background noise as well as tune it out.  I had it tuned all the way up for the Duke game, so I could feel like part of the crowd.  I heard the Grayson chant.... as well as an Overrated chant that came very near the end of the first half. 

I was there, and I never heard an overrated chant (doesn’t mean it didn’t happen). I did, however, hear “F*** you Grayson” loud and clear. And long enough to the point where I thought something would be said on the intercom. 

4 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

I was there, and I never heard an overrated chant (doesn’t mean it didn’t happen). I did, however, hear “F*** you Grayson” loud and clear. And long enough to the point where I thought something would be said on the intercom. 

Mike Miller tweeted that Chuck Crabb did say something to them.

I was there and there was one chant in the first half that I couldn’t make out and I bet it was “overrated”.  You definitely could tell when they did the FU Grayson version.  It was so loud you couldn’t hear anything though.  I could tell at one point Chuck Crabb was saying something related to the chant but it was only from experience I knew it was the whole “inappropriate language can cause a technical foul to be called on the home team” routine. 

13 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

Well, I'm just going to say, when Coach Crean was here,we beat the best teams in the country in Assembly Hall.  Now everyone is content that we lost to one?  :coffee:

I’m hoping that was said sarcastically. This was game 7 under a new coach, we weren’t even given a chance to win. We played great but lost at the end. I for one am very pleased with game, considering what happened in the first game of the year!

11 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

Well, I'm just going to say, when Coach Crean was here,we beat the best teams in the country in Assembly Hall.  Now everyone is content that we lost to one?  :coffee:

IMO, Crean would've had no chance to beat Duke yesterday with this same team. We would've had 20 turnovers and lost by 20, and the game would've been decided in the early second half. When Crean's teams beat best teams in the country, he had future NBA talents in the rosters. All we got now is a bunch of role players without a single player who could take over the game. Plus, would De'ron Davis play this well if Crean was here? Our guards were terrible at post-entry passes back in Crean era.

We hung 36 minutes and even took the lead in the second half because the team played under control and executed good part of the game. 

After watching this game I am somewhat hopeful for the rest of this season.  This was the first time, at least to me, that the players fully bought into Archie's coaching style.  The defense was pretty good overall, which is a large improvement over the past few years.  Duke's height and athleticism finally overcame IU and their rebounding is top shelf.  I don't think anyone else that we play will have quite as many top tier guys to contend with.  Our offense was also pretty darn good.  They are learning and adapting to a new system and got plenty of open drives inside as well as outside shots.  Davis finally looked like a stud despite being outsized and the team is now finding out how to feed him.  Johnson is a beautiful driver to the basket.  Unfortunately, what brought us down was a lack of consistency from the outside (Johnson hasd so many open threes and only managed to hit one), and continued poor free throw shooting.  IU probably could have won this game with better FT's and just a few more connected threes.

I do think we should be able to win at Michigan if we play as well as last night and then beat Iowa at home.  After that, we'll see.........

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

I'd guess because he wanted Morgan and Davis in the game. 

Now that you mention it, I don’t remember Hartman being on the floor with those two at any point last night.  I’d like to see what a two guard lineup along with those three could do.  Maybe we’ll start to see that as Hartman starts to play more.

The thing with the "Crean beat teams like this" thing is that Crean won those games with Zeller, Watford, Yogi, VO, Bryant, Williams, etc. Five of those guys are NBA players. He should absolutely be given credit for those wins, but he didn't win games like last night with a roster like Archie has this year. 

11 minutes ago, BGleas said:

The thing with the "Crean beat teams like this" thing is that Crean won those games with Zeller, Watford, Yogi, VO, Bryant, Williams, etc. Five of those guys are NBA players. He should absolutely be given credit for those wins, but he didn't win games like last night with a roster like Archie has this year. 

Agreed.  We shot 5-21 from three last night.  A shooting performance like that would’ve resulted in a 30 point beat down if Crean was still the coach.

44 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Now that you mention it, I don’t remember Hartman being on the floor with those two at any point last night.  I’d like to see what a two guard lineup along with those three could do.  Maybe we’ll start to see that as Hartman starts to play more.

You don't remember it because it didn't happen; Hartman, McSwain, Davis, Morgan and Smith combined to play 80 minutes. I agree with you, I'd love to see Hartman (and even Smith or Morgan) get some run at the 3. 

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

i heard the over rated chant on tv and smh. it was in the first half to i think.

Glad to know another IU fan heard it as well.  It was not as loud as the Grayson chant.  I bet ESPN had a microphone close to where it was being chanted, is why you and I heard it on the tv.  And yes it was in the first half.  And I shook my head as well, when I heard it. 

15 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Glad to know another IU fan heard it as well.  It was not as loud as the Grayson chant.  I bet ESPN had a microphone close to where it was being chanted, is why you and I heard it on the tv.  And yes it was in the first half.  And I shook my head as well, when I heard it. 

Yes, there was an overrated chant, I heard it as well. 

All I could think of when I heard it was when the student section chanted it against OSU in football this year and next play OSU took it 80 yards to the house.

1 hour ago, KDB said:

Yes, there was an overrated chant, I heard it as well. 

All I could think of when I heard it was when the student section chanted it against OSU in football this year and next play OSU took it 80 yards to the house.

Jeez.  It sure seems our fans have no clue as to when to use the Overrated chant. 

Indiana fans chanted 'overrated.' then ohio state scored 29 unanswered and won. 

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Jeez.  It sure seems our fans have no clue as to when to use the Overrated chant. 

Indiana fans chanted 'overrated.' then ohio state scored 29 unanswered and won. 

Well, I would be really embarrassed by this, except for the fact that the computer generated fake British voice fails to understand hyphens in sports scores. Which is a little bit funny, isn't it?

37 minutes ago, bstall76 said:

I heard the overrated chant as well and commented about how I hate the chant in the game thread.

It seems like a chant used by schools which are never rated very high and have no class. It's beneath Indiana University.  The Indiana University that I remember, anyway.

Archived