Like seeing top recruits not going to one and done factories

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

So should Leal had gone to Stanford lol. I mean Romeo was OAD here. I don’t care where they go. Follow your dream. For some Stanford is exactly that and I respect that.

42 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I assume since he actually had the credentials to get into Stanford that he values education as much as his basketball talent.  I also wouldn't be surprised if the kid stayed 3 years and graduated before going on to the NBA.  

I know there are recent examples (Yogi) and current players too who will stay all 4 years...but anymore with kids coming into school with credits, taking summer classes,etc....I've changed my thinking in that if we can get 3 years out of some of the guys that's good enough for me.

My apologies to Scott for saying this. The other side of that coin is this. If we have kids who are staying all 4 years does that mean they shouldn't have been recruited to come here to begin with? i.e....they weren't good enough to head to the pros after 3 full seasons? Just a thought.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I know there are recent examples (Yogi) and current players too who will stay all 4 years...but anymore with kids coming into school with credits, taking summer classes,etc....I've changed my thinking in that if we can get 3 years out of some of the guys that's good enough for me.

My apologies to Scott for saying this. The other side of that coin is this. If we have kids who are staying all 4 years does that mean they shouldn't have been recruited to come here to begin with? i.e....they weren't good enough to head to the pros after 3 full seasons? Just a thought.

I don't mind  if they leave after 3 years especially if they have a degree and if they are going to get drafted.  Like I said before I don't see why any players would leave after 3 years if they know they are not going to get drafted.  To me it would be better to come back for your 4th year and maybe become a legend at your university.  My thinking is if you are not a top NBA player or a player who is not getting multiple contracts you will not make enough money rom basketball to live off the rest of your lives.  Most players will have to find an actual job after playing even over seas so too me it would be best to have that degree and all the connections from your alumni.

17 hours ago, dgambill said:

So should Leal had gone to Stanford lol. I mean Romeo was OAD here. I don’t care where they go. Follow your dream. For some Stanford is exactly that and I respect that.

I think the OP put it out there pretty correctly. THere are a handful of school that perception is they are OAD factories. These type of kids almost eclusively go to those school. Not sure about Arizona, but UNC, Duke, Kentucky along with Kansas far and away are considered OAD factories. That doesn't mean that seem kids don't go to these school, this kid and Romeo, are obviously two... but that doesn't discount what OP said. And I agree, I prefer when they spread out.

6 hours ago, WI_Hoosier said:

I think the OP put it out there pretty correctly. THere are a handful of school that perception is they are OAD factories. These type of kids almost eclusively go to those school. Not sure about Arizona, but UNC, Duke, Kentucky along with Kansas far and away are considered OAD factories. That doesn't mean that seem kids don't go to these school, this kid and Romeo, are obviously two... but that doesn't discount what OP said. And I agree, I prefer when they spread out.

Oh I know...just giving Scott a hard time...lol

22 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I assume since he actually had the credentials to get into Stanford that he values education as much as his basketball talent.  I also wouldn't be surprised if the kid stayed 3 years and graduated before going on to the NBA.  

Or maybe the coach said come here and get up 30 shots a game before you go pro. Either way, both good reasons.

4 hours ago, rico said:

Heck, look at Washington.  How many OAD's have they had recently?

I think a lot of kids are finally seeing that UK never runs deep in the NCAA so why go there and share the ball with 6 other one and dones. Go some where and get up a lot of shots. UK will still get their share but are losing some now to.

52 minutes ago, Indykev said:

I think a lot of kids are finally seeing that UK never runs deep in the NCAA so why go there and share the ball with 6 other one and dones. Go some where and get up a lot of shots. UK will still get their share but are losing some now to.

Not really sure about that. In 10 full seasons (not counting this year) he's been to 8 Sweet Sixteen's, 7 Elite 8's, 4 Final Fours, 2 Championship games and has 1 National Title. Sure, you can argue he should have 2-3 National Titles, but that is an impressive resume. 

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Not really sure about that. In 10 full seasons (not counting this year) he's been to 8 Sweet Sixteen's, 7 Elite 8's, 4 Final Fours, 2 Championship games and has 1 National Title. Sure, you can argue he should have 2-3 National Titles, but that is an impressive resume. 

And then there is this...

https://kentuckysportsradio.com/basketball-2/btis-rants-and-ramblingsranking-the-16-cal-players-who-needed-to-come-back-sans-2020-guys/

On 4/12/2020 at 4:34 PM, dgambill said:

My daughter is 4, but I've continuously told her Stanford is her team and that is where she should go. 

• 2 weeks later...

To me, it seems that there has been a trend where ball dominant or high usage guards or wings are prioritizing opportunities where they’ll have the ball in their hand more. Those specific prospects seem to be mentioning their desire to play in offenses with a lot of PnR too.

There was a lot of buzz around this notion when Kahlil Whitney transferred. 

With Coach Cal, there has been minor grumblings about OADs being  underutilized - KAT (played back to basket), Booker (no PnR, off-ball), Bam Adebayo (limited O involvement) immediately come to mind. 

Archived