Cal and Cuban talk IU-UK restarting series

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would love to resume the series......after Cal is gone.  His response is exactly why I have no desire to play them while he is there.  

For those that don't want to click the link.

• He suggests doing it without fans.
  • He whines that IU has 'all 13' players coming back while poor old UK has no one returning.

SMH.

18 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I would love to resume the series......after Cal is gone.  His response is exactly why I have no desire to play them while he is there.  

For those that don't want to click the link.

• He suggests doing it without fans.
  • He whines that IU has 'all 13' players coming back while poor old UK has no one returning.

SMH.

All for dumping on Cal and what not, but will actually defend him a little bit here. I'm pretty sure he suggested doing it without fans because of Covid (even though everyone knows how he feels about us) and I'm willing to bet he's being pretty sarcastic about saying that Cuban was waiting for Cal to lose all of his players

EDIT: Decided to watch to see what was actually said. It wasn't fully about Covid for the no fans but they did spend the 8 minutes leading into IU/UK talking about Covid and the draft/NBA/NCAA impacts. He was squirmy in general talking about playing anywhere but "Cuban's place" in Dallas and he tried to promote the ol' Kentucky argument of how he "even offered two straight years in Indy." Was very sarcastic in the losing players thing (even if he was off by 2 with how many guys we have returning). The third guy who was on the video call with them actually brought it up but I loved seeing Cuban be persistent on Cal about how we need to bring the rivalry back, especially playing in Lexington and Bloomington.

I'm going to get hammered for this, but just reading the article and no other parts of the discussion Cal and Cuban had, I'm with Cal on this. This is part of what I haven't liked about the IU administration. IU isn't creative. IU isn't forward thinking. IU is typically behind the pack, not ahead of it. 

Cal is already brainstorming ways to be the first team back playing games on TV. Just off the top of his head, he developed a headline event to be the first game back when this entire quarantine is over, even coming with the play without fans to be the first game on TV before the quarantine is over. 

I don't see the problem with it. Watch IU sleep on this because we're mad he won't play home/home, and then Cal throws this together with ESPN and plays Louisville, MSU or OSU and it's a huge national TV event. 

28 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'm going to get hammered for this, but just reading the article and no other parts of the discussion Cal and Cuban had, I'm with Cal on this. This is part of what I haven't liked about the IU administration. IU isn't creative. IU isn't forward thinking. IU is typically behind the pack, not ahead of it. 

Cal is already brainstorming ways to be the first team back playing games on TV. Just off the top of his head, he developed a headline event to be the first game back when this entire quarantine is over, even coming with the play without fans to be the first game on TV before the quarantine is over. 

I don't see the problem with it. Watch IU sleep on this because we're mad he won't play home/home, and then Cal throws this together with ESPN and plays Louisville, MSU or OSU and it's a huge national TV event. 

UK and Duke always play in the champions classic (basically the first game of the year anyways). Heck they get espn specials and televised scrimmages against semi pro puerta rican national scuads. There is nothing new about what he is proposing. Personally I would be fine with a tourney in Indy with us and Ohio St and rotating UK and UL for us to play. I’m kinda done with the crossroads classic because it really doesn’t do a lot for us or this could be in addition to it. Cal won’t ever play in Bloomington again....no sooner than play at Camron.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

UK and Duke always play in the champions classic (basically the first game of the year anyways). Heck they get espn specials and televised scrimmages against semi pro puerta rican national scuads. There is nothing new about what he is proposing. Personally I would be fine with a tourney in Indy with us and Ohio St and rotating UK and UL for us to play. I’m kinda done with the crossroads classic because it really doesn’t do a lot for us or this could be in addition to it. Cal won’t ever play in Bloomington again....no sooner than play at Camron.

I would be fine stepping away from the Crossroads as long as we played both N.D. and Butler every year.

1 minute ago, rico said:

I would be fine stepping away from the Crossroads as long as we played both N.D. and Butler every year.

I just don’t have any desire to play them. It doesn’t do anything to get my juices going honestly. That said I understand northern Indiana people may feel differently but us southern Indiana folks just want to stick it to UK and UL.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I just don’t have any desire to play them. It doesn’t do anything to get my juices going honestly. That said I understand northern Indiana people may feel differently but us southern Indiana folks just want to stick it to UK and UL.

I grew up watching IU play ND and Kentucky every year...Louisville means nothing to me.

Agree with you on the Crossroad Classic. I’ve never been a big fan of it and think it actually hurts IU more than helps. 

As far as UK, maybe I read the article wrong, but the way I read it was that it wasn’t really about renewing the rivalry, it was coming up with a fun, creative way to be the first game back once sports are able to resume, and Cal felt that being so close that UK-IU would make sense. It minimizes travel and exposure and they’re both big brand names that move the needle. 

Regardless, I just like the creative thinking from the head of a major program. I wish IU was as proactive with these things as some of the other big schools. 

I know I am in the minority on this, but I hope the new AD scraps the Crossroads Classic (fat chance given who was hired) but that event is boring to me.

Just now, IUCrazy2 said:

I know I am in the minority on this, but I hope the new AD scraps the Crossroads Classic (fat chance given who was hired) but that event is boring to me.

Agree. I’d rather IU’s mentality be that we’re too good for that event (recent history aside), and that IU should be playing in a more national event. All the Crossroads does is tell those other schools, especially Butler, that we’re all at the same table. 

11 minutes ago, rico said:

I love the Cross roads classic because it is a celebration of Indiana basketball and I have had a great time attending the games.  Just like they use to have the holiday classic and the Hoosier classic it give fans who can't get tickets to AH a chance to see IU play.

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree. I’d rather IU’s mentality be that we’re too good for that event (recent history aside), and that IU should be playing in a more national event. All the Crossroads does is tell those other schools, especially Butler, that we’re all at the same table. 

The thing is that the last 25 years we are on the same level.

Just now, IU Scott said:

I love the Cross roads classic because it is a celebration of Indiana basketball and I have had a great time attending the games.  Just like they use to have the holiday classic and the Hoosier classic it give fans who can't get tickets to AH a chance to see IU play.

Meh...

3 minutes ago, rico said:

I grew up watching IU play ND and Kentucky every year...Louisville means nothing to me.

I get it...just there is nothing about playing ND that even gets me the least bit interested over playing UConn or Kansas or any other traditional power house. I couldn’t watch those games from the 60s and 70s but anytime I have in the 80s and on it was just another game. I mean the only instate rivalry is with Purdue for me. Again just me. No problem us scheduling them and if we want to do the crossroads thing still all good...but if I have to pick one classic it would involve NCs and that would be our neighbors to the south...and then involve probably either Michigan or Ohio St to get the other schools interested as UK already plays Michigan St in a rotation and to me Ohio St is the logical regional type rival for Louisville etc. Anyways just my stab at trying to at least get us all playing again. 

I just look at our non conference schedule this next year and we will have 3 tough games in Maui, play the ACC challenge which will be one of the top teams, Butler and maybe the Gavit games.  That is a very tough non conference schedule to start so it is not like we need UK to upgrade the schedule.

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Right, I have always viewed the Classic as IU funded welfare for the other 3 programs.  They get to come and play a game in Indianapolis that their fans cannot support, it helps get them on TV, and it helps get their programs talked about a little more than usual around Indy leading up to the game.  Then the gate is split 4 ways when the majority of the fan support comes from Indiana fans.

Ditch that thing and bring in a National brand type of team every year for an "Indiana" classic in Indianapolis.  Heck, invite 3 teams.  Come play in Indianapolis in a NCAA tournament type of arena on a Saturday early in the year.  TV would be all over a doubleheader of like Indiana and pick 3:  Louisville, Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, UNC, UCLA, Arizona, Villanova, Ohio St., Michigan St., Michigan, Florida, Syracuse, Gonzaga, etc.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I just look at our non conference schedule this next year and we will have 3 tough games in Maui, play the ACC challenge which will be one of the top teams, Butler and maybe the Gavit games.  That is a very tough non conference schedule to start so it is not like we need UK to upgrade the schedule.

I think I read there is no gavit game this year??

2 hours ago, loviubb said:

AND Cal starts out lying saying he lost his whole team and we have 13 returning scholarships returning. Heck we only had 11 on scholarship as it was. We don't need them while Cal is there

And as for Cal saying he offered different venues. I am calling BS on that.  It was IU and Mr. Glass that offered different venues to keep the series going. Numerous times. And I know for a fact, from a friend who was working in the IU Athletic department at the time.  Which Cal refused . FACT.

And as far as Mr. Cuban is concerned.... stay out of this.  Someday. Kentucky will come crawling back to reignite the series.  And I would say screw them. 

4 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Right, I have always viewed the Classic as IU funded welfare for the other 3 programs.  They get to come and play a game in Indianapolis that their fans cannot support, it helps get them on TV, and it helps get their programs talked about a little more than usual around Indy leading up to the game.  Then the gate is split 4 ways when the majority of the fan support comes from Indiana fans.

Ditch that thing and bring in a National brand type of team every year for an "Indiana" classic in Indianapolis.  Heck, invite 3 teams.  Come play in Indianapolis in a NCAA tournament type of arena on a Saturday early in the year.  TV would be all over a doubleheader of like Indiana and pick 3:  Louisville, Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, UNC, UCLA, Arizona, Villanova, Ohio St., Michigan St., Michigan, Florida, Syracuse, Gonzaga, etc.

Agreed....with the Duke, UK, KU, MSU already in a classic I just figured keeping it somewhat regional for traveling fans to all come to Indy and you have National championship winners in OSU, UL, UK, IU....if we open it up to those other teams they are going to want to play it in Dallas or Georgia or New York I just want it local to all us but overall agree we need to be in one of these caliber tournaments even without UK if needs be...maybe UCLA, Villanova, IU, UNC and rotate the host game from Philly, Indy, Charlotte, LA. We need our brand back out there on a national level to get these recruits seeing us on the level our history deserves.

Archived