ESPN/We love Sage Steele

rico

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, rico said:

Their business model has been a slowly sinking Titanic for at least 10 years. Some of the contracts they've spent $ on are simply ridiculous. If it wasn't the arrogance of simply admitting their own mistake....instead of 15% cuts I think you would see multiple stars of ESPN let go instead of little cuts like this here and there.

Plenty of good people on ESPN when I watched. I never cheer for people to lose job or $ but that model requires subscriptions. Won't work without an overhaul.

i have had absolutely no interest in anything they put on other than actual sports games and sportscenter for years.  now that there are no games and really nothing of interest on sportscenter, my TV never goes to that channel.  fist time in my life since ESPN came into existence.    

8 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i have had absolutely no interest in anything they put on other than actual sports games and sportscenter for years.  now that there are no games and really nothing of interest on sportscenter, my TV never goes to that channel.  fist time in my life since ESPN came into existence.    

I've said for years if NBC, CBS, or Fox sports had a clue there's a huge void out there to be filled...give me highlights of last night's games in the 4 major sports in the US without all the idiotic speculation and sprinkle it with glib, lighthearted jokes and analogies, and I'm there...

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I've said for years if NBC, CBS, or Fox sports had a clue there's a huge void out there to be filled...give me highlights of last night's games in the 4 major sports in the US without all the idiotic speculation and sprinkle it with glib, lighthearted jokes and analogies, and I'm there...

I am sure NBC, CBS, and Fox are circling ESPN/ABC like a bunch of vultures.  Nothing wrong with that.

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Maybe it's my partiality to all things Gus Johnson but I really felt like Fox really changed the game this past season and before with the High Noon slot on Saturday during college football. Used to be CBS owned Saturday with their late afternoon SEC matchups (and probably still do) but Fox did a great job with the typically Meadowlands time slot that is Noon EST. 

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

That’s what Sportscenter was in the 90’s and early 2000’s. Why they ever left that model is beyond me.

42 minutes ago, southsidehoosier said:

That’s what Sportscenter was in the 90’s and early 2000’s. Why they ever left that model is beyond me.

They got woke.

No matter what political bent you have, I don't tune into sports coverage to hear yet another political argument.  People can get that on CNN, MSNBC, Fox News, etc.

ESPN had the same kind of creep that other networks have had (like the History Channel becoming the Pawn Shop and Alligator Hunting Hillbillies channel).  They didn't stick to sports close enough and they waded into the culture wars almost exclusively on one side...which turns off about half the country no matter which side you pick.

I watch games on ESPN for the teams I root for only.  I avoid them for everything else.

16 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

They got woke.

No matter what political bent you have, I don't tune into sports coverage to hear yet another political argument.  People can get that on CNN, MSNBC, Fox News, etc.

ESPN had the same kind of creep that other networks have had (like the History Channel becoming the Pawn Shop and Alligator Hunting Hillbillies channel).  They didn't stick to sports close enough and they waded into the culture wars almost exclusively on one side...which turns off about half the country no matter which side you pick.

I watch games on ESPN for the teams I root for only.  I avoid them for everything else.

Beyond that stuff...Seeking 6 was right.  The "Evil Empire" doled out a bazillion bucks to land TV rights.   And some of those rights haven't panned out.  

4 minutes ago, rico said:

Beyond that stuff...Seeking 6 was right.  The "Evil Empire" doled out a bazillion bucks to land TV rights.   And some of those rights haven't panned out.  

I wonder how much of your cable bill goes towards ESPN and Disney each month.  I dropped YouTube tv and switched to Sling blue which is only $30 month and has almost all the channels except ESPN and Disney. 

5 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I wonder how much of your cable bill goes towards ESPN and Disney each month.  I dropped YouTube tv and switched to Sling blue which is only $30 month and has almost all the channels except ESPN and Disney. 

Here is a dated article from when they had the terminations a few years back.  It touches on Disney and a few other things.  It is a damn fine read...

https://thefederalist.com/2017/04/26/the-real-story-behind-espns-wednesday-massacre/

1 hour ago, southsidehoosier said:

I think injecting a lot of the fantasy sports analysis hurts them too...

Nothing against the people who like fantasy sports leagues, but if I'm sitting there wanting to watch highlights, someone launching into who to sit and who to play is gonna lose me pretty quickly...

And I agree that they need to drop the social commentary...I watch sports to be entertained, not to be lectured...I can form my own opinions, thank you...

17 minutes ago, rico said:

Definitely that too.  They spent like a drunken sailor on shore leave for the rights to games and they did that based on a cable subscription model that is dying at worst or is in the middle of a huge change at best.

One of the biggest charges on your cable bill (if you still have one) is related to sports.  ESPN being the biggest chunk of that.  The cord cutters are hurting their business model.

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Definitely that too.  They spent like a drunken sailor on shore leave for the rights to games and they did that based on a cable subscription model that is dying at worst or is in the middle of a huge change at best.

One of the biggest charges on your cable bill (if you still have one) is related to sports.  ESPN being the biggest chunk of that.  The cord cutters are hurting their business model.

Or like me you switch to a package that doesn't have sports once football and basketball is over.  There is no contract with Hulu, YouTube TV, Sling, etc which I like.  I can drop them at anytime. 

Just now, IUFLA said:

I think injecting a lot of the fantasy sports analysis hurts them too...

Nothing against the people who like fantasy sports leagues, but if I'm sitting there wanting to watch highlights, someone launching into who to sit and who to play is gonna lose me pretty quickly...

And I agree that they need to drop the social commentary...I watch sports to be entertained, not to be lectured...I can firm my own opinions, thank you...

Totally agree with that but they see that a lot of people only pay attention to sports because on fantasy sports or gambling.  As a person who just loves sports because of the sports itself it is hard to watch all of this attention to fantasy sports.

5 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

https://thefederalist.com/2017/04/26/the-real-story-behind-espns-wednesday-massacre/

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Totally agree with that but they see that a lot of people only pay attention to sports because on fantasy sports or gambling.  As a person who just loves sports because of the sports itself it is hard to watch all of this attention to fantasy sports.

Then make the fantasy analysis a separate show...

SportsCenter used to be fast moving highlights and good commentary...like friends talking about sports...I'd like to see one of the other big players, and they ALL have separate sports networks now, have a show that harkens back to that time...

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Then make the fantasy analysis a separate show...

SportsCenter used to be fast moving highlights and good commentary...like friends talking about sports...I'd like to see one of the other big players, and they ALL have separate sports networks now, have a show that harkens back to that time...

For guys like us who likes  sports that is fine but today,  people's attention span is not as long as it use to be.

Archived