ESPN/We love Sage Steele

rico

32 minutes ago, rico said:

Here is a dated article from when they had the terminations a few years back.  It touches on Disney and a few other things.  It is a damn fine read...

https://thefederalist.com/2017/04/26/the-real-story-behind-espns-wednesday-massacre/

From the article...

"The near-universal sentiment of former ESPN addicts I’ve spoken to is that the content provider sidelined actual sports in favor of carnival barkers."

Count me in that group too...

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

From the article...

"The near-universal sentiment of former ESPN addicts I’ve spoken to is that the content provider sidelined actual sports in favor of carnival barkers."

Count me in that group too...

I blame it on Jim Rome a little because after he got popular everyone wanted that kind of sports talk.  I hate it because it is just a guy spouting off that really doesn't know the sport but he has a hot take on it.

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I blame it on Jim Rome a little because after he got popular everyone wanted that kind of sports talk.  I hate it because it is just a guy spouting off that really doesn't know the sport but he has a hot take on it.

I wouldn't know...the only thing I've ever watched that had Jim Rome in it was the clip where Jim Everett punked him...

Even I cheered for a Purdue grad that day...

37 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

For guys like us who likes  sports that is fine but today,  people's attention span is not as long as it use to be.

I don’t think it’s necessarily attention span (at least not to me). When SportsCenter was in its heyday, it was the most effective way to get scores and results before the next days paper.

Now everyone can get scores, analysis and highlights in real time, and that eliminates the need to watch an hour of TV programming.

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I wouldn't know...the only thing I've ever watched that had Jim Rome in it was the clip where Jim Everett punked him...

Never listened to him either but that kind of shock jock is ruining sports

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

That was a classic moment in sports TV.  Right there with you cheering for Jim (Chris) Everett.

8 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

That was a classic moment in sports TV.  Right there with you cheering for Jim (Chris) Everett.

A classic moment that many didn't get to see live as it was on ESPN2.  We didn't have that in South Whitley back then.

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

If you asked anyone in sports who actually knows the grind and respects the grind that Rome (and themselves as athletes) had to put in to get to the ultimate level....Rome would be at the top of the list. It's the reason so many athletes go on his show. It's not guys like Seth Davis who has a father that silver spooned him and his career in.

My little 2 cent opinion. Started listening to Rome in early 90's. As on point as it gets in radio business...including Knight. Always complimentary of his greatness.

29 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

If you asked anyone in sports who actually knows the grind and respects the grind that Rome (and themselves as athletes) had to put in to get to the ultimate level....Rome would be at the top of the list. It's the reason so many athletes go on his show. It's not guys like Seth Davis who has a father that silver spooned him and his career in.

My little 2 cent opinion. Started listening to Rome in early 90's. As on point as it gets in radio business...including Knight. Always complimentary of his greatness.

I am just not a fan of his style especially when he lets callers call in.  The type of sports talk I love listening to was when the host and the callers would just talk back and forth with each other like friends talking sports.  My favorite was the two guys on 1190 WOWO from Fort Wayne because they would just talk with the callers.  Now it is just asking a question and the host goes on a 10 minute answer and no talking back and forth.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am just not a fan of his style especially when he lets callers call in.  The type of sports talk I love listening to was when the host and the callers would just talk back and forth with each other like friends talking sports.  My favorite was the two guys on 1190 WOWO from Fort Wayne because they would just talk with the callers.  Now it is just asking a question and the host goes on a 10 minute answer and no talking back and forth.

Agree for the most part. Plenty of broadcasters ask a question and it's followed up by 4 minutes of them explaining why they asked the question. Here it plenty in Indy on the limited radio shows we have access to now! 

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Agree for the most part. Plenty of broadcasters ask a question and it's followed up by 4 minutes of them explaining why they asked the question. Here it plenty in Indy on the limited radio shows we have access to now! 

It is about having a take and don't suck

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

And that would have been Art Saltsberg and Dean Pantazi on WOWO.  At one time they had the longest running sports talk show in America.

8 minutes ago, rico said:

And that would have been Art Saltsberg and Dean Pantazi on WOWO.  At one time they had the longest running sports talk show in America.

Couldn't remember their names but I really enjoyed listening to them.  I also liked them because they would talk recruiting a lot.  I remember listening to them and skipping a class to listen when they had a recruiting expert on their show.  It was the year we were recruiting Corliss Williamson and it looked like we had a good shot so I just stayed in my car listening to them instead of going to class.

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Couldn't remember their names but I really enjoyed listening to them.  I also liked them because they would talk recruiting a lot.  I remember listening to them and skipping a class to listen when they had a recruiting expert on their show.  It was the year we were recruiting Corliss Williamson and it looked like we had a good shot so I just stayed in my car listening to them instead of going to class.

Yes, it was a damn fine show.  I miss it as well.

3 hours ago, rico said:

A classic moment that many didn't get to see live as it was on ESPN2.  We didn't have that in South Whitley back then.

I loss so much respect for Rome after this and quit watching/listening to him. Regardless of what you thuoght about Jim Everett as a player, he was a weasel for doing this.

2 hours ago, WI_Hoosier said:

Who does he write about? Duke? Bama? LeBron or Tiger?

If you are asking about Eamonn.  Of course when he was part of the Indiana Daily Student, he covered all IU sports, including the Little 500. In fact sat in the press box for IU football games, along with John Decker.  I would often ask them what food IU was serving that day for the press.  And they would always answer back.  It was a fun thing to do.

When Eamonn was with ESPN...his assignment was college basketball. Right along with Andy Katz.

Eamonn now writes for The Athletic. Assignment is to write about college basketball.  Man's got to make a living. 

Eamonn Brennan – The Athletic

5 hours ago, rico said:

Dean Pantazi, as a Ft. Waynian, that is a name I have not heard in awhile.  He did the sports broadcasts for WPTA (channel 21) when I was a kid.

Your post made me look him up, and it looks like he still works for the station.

6 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Dean Pantazi, as a Ft. Waynian, that is a name I have not heard in awhile.  He did the sports broadcasts for WPTA (channel 21) when I was a kid.

Your post made me look him up, and it looks like he still works for the station.

Dean was just in the news...

https://wpta21.com/2020/04/14/dean-pantazi-extends-commitment-to-46th-year-at-abc21-will-shift-into-new-role/

Archived