ESPN/We love Sage Steele

rico

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, dgambill said:

How this became a Howard cossell thread I don’t know and don’t care. He was essentially before my time. Watching older games and highlights I found him obnoxious and his voice grating. That said his highlights I found enjoyable because in those moments he did have a fun and interesting vocabulary and way of describing a play. That said the Xs and Os he provided nothing in my limited experiences. Kind of like Chris Berman....love his highlights but never want him calling a game.

Good news and Bad news: It's no longer about Howard, but MLB announcers instead...😉

2 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Good news and Bad news: It's no longer about Howard, but MLB announcers instead...😉

MLB announcers tend to do other announcing in the "off season."  Buck and Brennamen are cases in point.

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Not comparing Aydens challenges to Benetti but Ayden wants to go into broadcasting  since he cant play 

@rico If you really were DD you could give Ayden a hand in that

Sorry, although I did go to school with a guy that became a sports writer.

1 hour ago, Coach1K said:

I use to listen Mike and Mike with my dad on the way to school and it seemed like all Golic wanted to talk about was football even when there were other sports going on in the football off season.

They talked football probably about 90% of the time and only talked about college basketball around tournament time.

9 hours ago, IU Scott said:

They talked football probably about 90% of the time and only talked about college basketball around tournament time.

I don't know if that 90% figure is correct or not...but it does seem the NFL was the talk all the time.  

20 hours ago, Sark said:

Harry and Jack Buck were about as far apart as you can get in terms of MLB play by play, yet both were effective and loved by their core audiences. HC had a loyal following of devoted fans while others couldn’t stand him as he babbled mindlessly about everything but the game, got lost in the middle of innings, and butchered names. What some found endearing and human others found cartoonishand disrespectful. And the commentary regarding ESPN and Cosell are exactly the same. It’s the beauty of having choices. To each his own.

That wasn't your original premise as far as Cosell was concerned...you stated Cosell "was recognized as quite knowledgeable about the sports he covered" not that liking or disliking him was an opinion. I provided links to 2 Hall of Fame journalists who stated that simply wasn't the case.

By your rules, you could say "Hitler was a good guy" and anyone who thought differently would only have an "opinion."

If you liked Cosell, fine. To me, he was the wrestling equivalent of a "heel" He was neither a play by play guy or an analyst, therefore, my opinion is to anyone who truly tuned in to watch the game, those I'd consider "knowledgeable sports fans" , Cosell was more of a distraction than a figure lending to the broadcast itself.

2 hours ago, rico said:

I don't know if that 90% figure is correct or not...but it does seem the NFL was the talk all the time.  

Honestly, that is almost all sports talk radio.  The NFL dominates a bunch of the conversation...that and college football.

25 minutes ago, Sark said:

I stand by my opinion that he was considered knowledgeable. Not sure why that upsets you so much just because yours is different. They’re opinions. If you read them, you’ll see that the focus of both pieces were on his arrogance, not his knowledge of sports. One attempts to make a point of his supposed lack of sports knowledge but offers nothing but weak generalities. And as I said, I think some viewers were put off by Cosell’s intelligence and felt he was talking over their heads or down to them. They just wanted to try to watch the game. Especially for the casual fan, it’s understandable. 

I think I know why Sark appreciated Cossell so much...they essentially the equivalent of each other...in the booth and on this board lol. Sorry Sark...I’m just teasing...although so far on this board you have to admit you do tend to go the hot take route lol.

47 minutes ago, Sark said:

I stand by my opinion that he was considered knowledgeable. Not sure why that upsets you so much just because yours is different. They’re opinions. If you read them, you’ll see that the focus of both pieces were on his arrogance, not his knowledge of sports. One attempts to make a point of his supposed lack of sports knowledge but offers nothing but weak generalities. And as I said, I think some viewers were put off by Cosell’s intelligence and felt he was talking over their heads or down to them. They just wanted to try to watch the game. Especially for the casual fan, it’s understandable. 

Doesn't upset me at all...I just think someone trying to support an indefensible position flaunts their own lack of knowledge concerning sports...

16 minutes ago, Sark said:

It’s not indefensible at all, but you’re claiming something that the opinion pieces you posted don’t support. Cosell’s arrogance really angered the casual and less than knowledgable sports fan who felt they were being talked down to. As you said, many of those fans considered him a heel and we’re put off by him. Enjoyed the discussion, but I think we’ve about covered it.

Yes, we have covered all his negatives.  You have covered all his negatives in a positive light.

Time to move on from the pompous, egotistical, and pious Cosell.

3 minutes ago, rico said:

Yes, we have covered all his negatives.  You have covered all his negatives in a positive light.

Time to move on from the pompous, egotistical, and pious Cosell.

I grew up watching Monday Night football but it was not to hear the blow hard Cosell who did not have much inside sports knowledge.  He was there for entertainment purposes only and left the actual football Knowledge to Gifford and Meredith.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Just saw that ESPN has an hour long show about NFL players Madison rankings.  That just shows that they have way to much programming space to fill.

Well, being as the state mental hospital use to be in Madison, Indiana, I thought one thing... :D

But, I'd imagine they mean Avenue and a ranking of wealth/worth/marketability

Archived