ESPN/We love Sage Steele

rico

13 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I’m going to say my piece and not argue about it. Sage is too good to put up with that crap. Honestly ESPN have pushed other voices over hers for years now. She is incredibly smart and insightful and thought provoking. I don’t always agree 100% but they push giving others their own shows etc and limit her voice I think she could do better. ESPN needs anchors and personalities like Sage not the other way around. It isn’t easy to step out and take a risk...especially for a minority woman in the sports industry but Fox or any other network would  reap the benefits of having her. Cowherd, DP, Eisen, Andrews have shown if you are good at your job people will watch/listen. They haven’t hurt their brands one bit by moving on...in fact they have only improved their brand. If Sage stays that is fine...will give me at least one person I look forward to hearing from on that show. I still enjoy SVP doing updates and interviews from time to time as well so it isn’t like ESPN is void of talent...But if Sage wanted to jump ship I’d welcome it.

That's the part I'm confused on earlier in thread. I listed about 4 reasons why someone would jump ESPN and didn't get a response. ESPN is a sinking ship...has been for years. It's a 1997 business model. Sage is smart enough to realize this is her time and it's not like FOX is some some bum start up like....let's say ESPN was in 1970's. Time for her to fly and I would applaud it. Just for business. I'll stay out of the other reasons.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

That's the part I'm confused on earlier in thread. I listed about 4 reasons why someone would jump ESPN and didn't get a response. ESPN is a sinking ship...has been for years. It's a 1997 business model. Sage is smart enough to realize this is her time and it's not like FOX is some some bum start up like....let's say ESPN was in 1970's. Time for her to fly and I would applaud it. Just for business. I'll stay out of the other reasons.

Well like I said..she hasn’t been afforded the breaks many have at ESPN like heading up her own show etc. She is not as proven a commodity as the others mentioned but I think if put out front would turn into a star. That said I can understand her reasons for staying. Like I said about women and minority women in sports it can’t be easy. I have no clue what her family and finance situation is either. Lots to consider and some are willing to sacrifice their happiness to do what is best for their family. So without knowing her situation I can’t say...also maybe she has out feelers out there...who is to say. I just think she would be an incredible talent with a bigger platform. 

10 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Well like I said..she hasn’t been afforded the breaks many have at ESPN like heading up her own show etc. She is not as proven a commodity as the others mentioned but I think if put out front would turn into a star. That said I can understand her reasons for staying. Like I said about women and minority women in sports it can’t be easy. I have no clue what her family and finance situation is either. Lots to consider and some are willing to sacrifice their happiness to do what is best for their family. So without knowing her situation I can’t say...also maybe she has out feelers out there...who is to say. I just think she would be an incredible talent with a bigger platform. 

I could see her sliding into JB's role at Fox NFL Pregame.....and Fox College Hoops without blinking an eye. 

4 hours ago, Sark said:

I’m less familiar with her time at ESPN than probably you and others. I know her primarily from her NBA studio hosting duties. Has she done much college basketball or NFL work?

Over the years has done it all really. But yes most recently the NBA and nba countdown. All I know is everything she does whether football, nba, college or even auto racing she has done a masterful job. Just a professional and super knowledgeable and very insightful. That said it seems more and more the past 3-4 years she has been hidden away. I don’t think she even host the nba show anymore...they’ve gone for more colorful commentary of Beadle (ugh) and Mcnicols I think last I saw...who I honestly don’t care for either to sit next to Pierce and other ex nba players. I don’t watch ESPN that much anymore...occasionally I see her come out as a guest host etc on some random shows and she more than carries her weight imo. I just think she is under utilized that’s all.

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

She’s a professional sports broadcaster.  Of course she has the ability to switch to NFL pregames.  I like the idea above of her switching to a network role.  I think she’s capable.  

Absolutely...She checks all of the boxes as far as I'm concerned...Smart, articulate, witty, charming, knows the sport, and sports in general...

10 hours ago, rico said:

Good read. As a white male I can’t even imagine what Sage has been through. She has gotten it from both sides growing up and picked a profession that is notorious for being hard for females to break through. What I respect most about her is she is very sharp and has really smart deep opinions. I know it’s seems awful to state but perhaps all she has been through has molded her into the strong minded successful sports reporter she is today. She has definitely taken all the negativity and used that to focus her attention to be even better at her job. Lots of respect for her...and I don’t say that lightly in an industry of people that I generally have disdain for. Would love someday for my young daughter to sit down with her...

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Sark said:

For those critical of ESPN, what Dan Le Batard and his crew did today was so out of bounds that he deserves all the criticism he’s going to get. Interesting that he was rumored to be on the chopping block during their recent radio realignment but remained in the lineup in a reduced role. Wonder if he’ll survive this.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjxsrfYyoDrAhUBbq0KHQBPCRsQFjAjegQICxAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fthespun.com%2Fmore%2Fsports-media%2Fdan-le-batard-apologizes-for-insensitive-poll-question-today&usg=AOvVaw05k7ogR3ObguU-phTjld5W

Honestly just about anyone that has a problem with Dan and ESPN long quit listening to his schtick  long time ago. Sure was tasteless and even the way he apologized showed he just doesn’t get it. Oh well...I’m not going to worry about it...fact that guys like him have a platform that he does is sad enough. Isaac is a first class young man...first class. We used to look up to guys like Isaac...now they are ridiculed...can’t believe this is how far we’ve lost our way. I doubt Dan loses his show...it’s who he is...and the direction ESPN wants him to go. Thing is..for the most part good hearted people that support Isaac aren’t part of the cancel/hate anger culture. These are the type of people that forgive and look for reasons give people second chances. They aren’t going to line up outside Bristol and threaten to burn it down if they don’t defund Lebretard.

Archived