ESPN/We love Sage Steele

rico

2 hours ago, jefftheref said:

I was listening to their show when they broke the news about Alan Henderson hurting his knee. I remember getting that sick feeling in my stomach and think , oh not not again!

That link I posted about Dean been said they did the show for 16 years.  So by what you said, they were still doing it in '93.  I just can't remember when they started.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, rico said:

That link I posted about Dean been said they did the show for 16 years.  So by what you said, they were still doing it in '93.  I just can't remember when they started.

Me either. It was on for quite a few years. I think I remember calling in when we were recruiting Tyler Zeller.

• 3 weeks later...

Since ESPN isn't doing live sports right now, I think it would be great if they taped a few entertaining segments for fans to pass the time until we get back to live sports again.  Here's a script for one I'd love to see them do.  It's short but I suspect it would be highly entertaining and may even go viral on the web for years to follow:

Jockitch: Archie, good to have you on the show

CAM: (grudgingly):  Good to be here, Dan, thank you.

Jockitch: Check that, little arch…good to have you on the show.

CAM:  You know what…you’ve been calling me that ever since I took the IU job…

Jockitch: No, just since the 1-12 losing streak, Tiny.

CAM:  You know what…let me say one thing.  What was your record as coach at IU?

Jockitch: What was my record…?

CAM:  Yeah, what was your record, you John Wooden wannabe?

Jockitch:  Well that was more than ten years ago. You know you may have been coach Archie Miller back then but somewhere along the way, you ceased being Coach Archie Miller and became little arch.

CAM:  You’ve been slumming on GBI again haven’t you Dan?  Let me tell you a little secret…we’re sitting here right now and if you guys want to take a station break right now, you can, but if you call me little arch to my face one more time…

Jockitch:  I already did it twice!

CAM:  …you better take a station break.

Jockitch:  Well, it’s a 20-minute segment…we got a long way to go…

CAM:  We do…

Jockitch:  I’ll get a couple segments out of you though…

CAM:  Well it’s good to be here with you though…

Jockitch (still smiling but looking a little uncertain):  …well it’s good to see you too…

CAM:  …because you’ve been talking like this behind my back for a long time…

Jockitch:  …but now I said it right here…

CAM: Right.  Exactly…

Jockitch: …but we got no problem with that…

CAM:  I think you probably won’t say it again…

Jockitch:  I’ll bet I do…

CAM:  …OK…

Jockitch:  little arch…

(At this point Coach Miller upends the table as he stands up, shoves Jockitch to the floor and gags him with a game-worn De’Ron Davis jockstrap before ESPN crew members come to the rescue and pull him off.)

So...what do you guys think...?

I'll have to admit that I'm loving all the odd sports on ESPN during this lockout.  Watching death diving now, which looks like a belly buster competition to me,  The dad bod on the last diver was awesome. 😂😂😂😂

OK, ESPN...I'm entertained.

Gave up on ESPN years ago when sports became an afterthought to their political campaigns and all of the talking heads turned into social justice warriors. It only took losing millions of subscribers and viewers to figure it out. Unless a team I follow is playing, I don't even think about ESPN.

2 hours ago, Euroclydon said:

Gave up on ESPN years ago when sports became an afterthought to their political campaigns and all of the talking heads turned into social justice warriors. It only took losing millions of subscribers and viewers to figure it out. Unless a team I follow is playing, I don't even think about ESPN.

I 100% agree with your take.  I too, quit ESPN when they decided to get stupid and get political, thus alienating approximately half of their audience.

I've just been bored lately and when I channel-surfed over ESPN, I saw they were doing wacky sports like in the old days.  It felt like I was transported back to the glory days of ESPN.  Maybe they too can learn...who knows...

On 5/1/2020 at 6:09 PM, FKIM01 said:

Since ESPN isn't doing live sports right now, I think it would be great if they taped a few entertaining segments for fans to pass the time until we get back to live sports again.  Here's a script for one I'd love to see them do.  It's short but I suspect it would be highly entertaining and may even go viral on the web for years to follow:

Jockitch: Archie, good to have you on the show

CAM: (grudgingly):  Good to be here, Dan, thank you.

Jockitch: Check that, little arch…good to have you on the show.

CAM:  You know what…you’ve been calling me that ever since I took the IU job…

Jockitch: No, just since the 1-12 losing streak, Tiny.

CAM:  You know what…let me say one thing.  What was your record as coach at IU?

Jockitch: What was my record…?

CAM:  Yeah, what was your record, you John Wooden wannabe?

Jockitch:  Well that was more than ten years ago. You know you may have been coach Archie Miller back then but somewhere along the way, you ceased being Coach Archie Miller and became little arch.

CAM:  You’ve been slumming on GBI again haven’t you Dan?  Let me tell you a little secret…we’re sitting here right now and if you guys want to take a station break right now, you can, but if you call me little arch to my face one more time…

Jockitch:  I already did it twice!

CAM:  …you better take a station break.

Jockitch:  Well, it’s a 20-minute segment…we got a long way to go…

CAM:  We do…

Jockitch:  I’ll get a couple segments out of you though…

CAM:  Well it’s good to be here with you though…

Jockitch (still smiling but looking a little uncertain):  …well it’s good to see you too…

CAM:  …because you’ve been talking like this behind my back for a long time…

Jockitch:  …but now I said it right here…

CAM: Right.  Exactly…

Jockitch: …but we got no problem with that…

CAM:  I think you probably won’t say it again…

Jockitch:  I’ll bet I do…

CAM:  …OK…

Jockitch:  little arch…

(At this point Coach Miller upends the table as he stands up, shoves Jockitch to the floor and gags him with a game-worn De’Ron Davis jockstrap before ESPN crew members come to the rescue and pull him off.)

So...what do you guys think...?

....(looking up side effects of COVID-19)....you really have too much time on your hands lol!!! But I would love to see it!

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Regarding ESPN. Went down a Youtube rabbit hole last night. Came across the time Mark Cuban owned Skip Bayless word for word clip. About 5 minutes long. Cuban pretty much sums up why stopped watching ESPN (minus IU games/NFL) decades ago.

Just watched that. Cuban is exactly right. Many of the talking heads, like Bayless, speak in generalities so they can never be cited as wrong.

I also noticed Steven A. didn't say a damn word when Skip was getting carved up like a Christmas turkey.

14 hours ago, dgambill said:

....(looking up side effects of COVID-19)....you really have too much time on your hands lol!!! But I would love to see it!

While it would be funny.....isn't that the scene where a reporter kept calling Jim Everett "Chris" and Jim got super pissed about it after asking him to stop several times?? 🤔

Found it.....

For me when ESPN went from sports to having shows with people arguing is when I stopped watching ESPN except for games.  To me Steven A and Skip Bayless was what killed that network.  I liked the show The Sports Reporters but then they decided to make their shows be like Jerry Springer show.

I feel like ESPN created multiple shows all

concentrated on hot takes. It seems like they argue just to argue. I wonder if they actually care, or just flip a coin to see what opposing positions they will take. I also feel like they never reached out to the sports fans for their opinions. If you are going to make all your shows about opinions about something as hard to compare as sports, instead of giving us the same, over paid experts who are often times very wrong, and also mixed in the with obligatory “eye candy”, bring in fans who have invested a lot of emotion into what ever issues you are debating. Instead of a guy like Stephen A who loves the sound of his own voice, have a moderator to let the armchair experts talk about these topics.... Or even better, don’t have them at all. I just think over time, ESPN abandoned the GenXers who grew up watching them, and adapted the same political leanings and values that also ruined Star Wars.. my opinion, anyway. I don’t care about politics at thei point: and we go to sports to escape it. Then they allow DD to call IU games, knowing it is going to alienate many fans watching. One of the many reasons I cut the cord and got Fubo Tv.... no espn and 1/3 the cost

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Just watched that. Cuban is exactly right. Many of the talking heads, like Bayless, speak in generalities so they can never be cited as wrong.

I also noticed Steven A. didn't say a damn word when Skip was getting carved up like a Christmas turkey.

That was my 2nd favorite part of the interview!

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

No one that thinks Warren Moon and Donovan McNab were better quarterbacks than Peyton Manning could ever be the worst.  That's just crazy talk.

Peyton has been on Denver tv a ton..... lately.  Spokesperson for a local mortgage company.  I know. Doesn't have anything to with anything.  Just thought I would throw that out.

Archived