ESPN/We love Sage Steele

rico

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How this became a Howard cossell thread I don’t know and don’t care. He was essentially before my time. Watching older games and highlights I found him obnoxious and his voice grating. That said his highlights I found enjoyable because in those moments he did have a fun and interesting vocabulary and way of describing a play. That said the Xs and Os he provided nothing in my limited experiences. Kind of like Chris Berman....love his highlights but never want him calling a game.

52 minutes ago, dgambill said:

How this became a Howard cossell thread I don’t know and don’t care. He was essentially before my time. Watching older games and highlights I found him obnoxious and his voice grating. That said his highlights I found enjoyable because in those moments he did have a fun and interesting vocabulary and way of describing a play. That said the Xs and Os he provided nothing in my limited experiences. Kind of like Chris Berman....love his highlights but never want him calling a game.

I look at Berman as a good studio personality/sports anchor.  His calls of the Homerun Derbies really get on my nerves.

2 minutes ago, rico said:

I look at Berman as a good studio personality/sports anchor.  His calls of the Homerun Derbies really get on my nerves.

I view Berman and Vitale in the same where they were good at one time but now they just a person who is just holding on to a job.

ESPN might not be losing tons of money for Disney even while hemorrhaging subscribers because Disney has done a wonderful job negotiating subscription prices from cable companies. Companies who can’t afford to lose their suite of channels which they rely on to keep older customers and those that can’t get internet speeds fast enough to stream. Cable companies and satellite companies that have lost leverage in negotiating and hurting financially. Sure you don’t lose much money when you jack up the price which is what Disney has done. Disney has been smart in using it to negotiate all the while also using it to support their online venture of Disney plus and online media empire...but don’t be surprised once they hit a level they think their platform can survive on its own they sell it. It’s a great name recognition commodity with a huge presence. It’s not going to disappear but it isn’t the cash cow it once was and with the erosion of subscribers it will have to adjust if it wants to turn that around. It isn’t all just cord cutters...but if they want to continue to go down the road of mixing social commentary into the sports world they are going to exasperate their problems. 

I would agree that announcers back in the 70's and 80's had more personality and was not so PC.  I think today they are to robotic and try to please everyone and not offend either team.  I always thought back when I was a kid and heard certain announcers I knew it was a huge game.  Some of that did have to do with the announcers but the other thing that made it big was that there were not that many games on nationally back then as well.  In football you had two or three games on Sunday and one on Monday and there were no Red Zone channel where you can catch every game.  You heard announcers like Dick Enberg and Merlon Olsen you knew that was the big AFC game on NBC.  CBS at that time had the NFC games and you heard Pat Summeral and Tom Berkshier and later John Maddon and you knew they were huge games.

Today there are so many games on through the week in every sport so it is hard to say any game is a huge game.  Also I don't think of announcers and just hear them and think it is a huge game.  I like Kevin Harlan and Gus Johnson now but at first when they became national broadcasters I did not really care for them.

Never mind it isn’t worth it. I don’t want to get goaded into it.

Watch ESPN don’t it’s up to each to decide. Some appreciated the simplicity and purity of just the sports and don’t want all the other crap. Some think sports and social issues should coexist and athletes and sports reporters opinions are exactly who they want to listen to get their info on social issues. Count me as the former and I think more and more people feel the same way. I don’t feel like I should have to sit through 30 mins of what they are peddling to get my box score. 

I’m in the camp that watches ESPN mainly just for the games that I can only find there.  

Sure, somebody like Jemele Hill should not have been ever hired there but it’s not a political issue for me.  I’m not so delicate that I can’t watch opinions outside my own.  I actually will check in with all the news channels without having a heart attack about it because I’m curious how different outlets present items.  I’m personally not a fan of opinion based news.  I always liked the Walter Cronkite approach, calling balls and strikes and telling us what we need to know.  

Having said all that, ESPN is a sports outlet.  I am not going there to hear about the latest panic attack in the news.  Sports is meant to be non-political to me.  It should bring us together.  We can talk about a pitcher’s new cutter or whatever without any care in the world what the other person thinks about building a wall.  In fact, politics doesn’t even enter my mind.  

But I think the main issue is ESPN just has a lot of garbage on.  They pay analysts to provide the most vanilla, useless stuff. Not everybody but a lot of it.  Some of their hosts are weak. Trey Wingo? He should be the backup sportscenter guy or the weekend afternoon guy, not front and center.  Tedy Bruschi?  The next insightful thing he says will be the first.  

With the maturation of the internet, you can find better analysis online or on a podcast tailored to your team or interest du jour. Heck, this site has smart people who discuss at a more elevated level than you’d get there.  

The highlight show isn’t as critical now IMO.   In the 1980s and 1990s, their 11 pm Sportscenter was great.  You’d get legit highlights you hadn’t seen yet.  Or get a score you didn’t know.  That’s all moot now because we can get real time info online.  They are a victim of a much more saturated sports media with much more individualized opportunities.  I don’t watch ESPN much because I don’t need it and consume info from other sources.  

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Never mind it isn’t worth it. I don’t want to get goaded into it.

Watch ESPN don’t it’s up to each to decide. Some appreciated the simplicity and purity of just the sports and don’t want all the other crap. Some think sports and social issues should coexist and athletes and sports reporters opinions are exactly who they want to listen to get their info on social issues. Count me as the former and I think more and more people feel the same way. I don’t feel like I should have to sit through 30 mins of what they are peddling to get my box score. 

These networks don't care about the actual long time sports fans who actually watched the games for the actual love of sports.  I don't know if it is just the day and age of where these new sports fans grew up in but it seems like it is more of an entertainment rather than love of sports.  It might be due to lack of attention span where the viewers don't want to take the time to actually watch for highlights.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

These networks don't care about the actual long time sports fans who actually watched the games for the actual love of sports.  I don't know if it is just the day and age of where these new sports fans grew up in but it seems like it is more of an entertainment rather than love of sports.  It might be due to lack of attention span where the viewers don't want to take the time to actually watch for highlights.

That’s because look at who runs it now...and look at the origins of the company. Started by a hockey communications manager who got fired but wanted to still cover sports. It was in his blood he loved it...lowly beginnings but basically started at the right place in time with an emerging technology and bam...it grew from there. Heck first headquarters built on a dump. If these people there had half the passion for sports and tenacity and humbleness imagine how great the product would be. I mean what do you expect when you now have ABC and Disney involved etc etc. anyways I promised I’d stop so I am. It isn’t even just a political thing like Bob said...it’s just all the fluff and nonsense I don’t want on top of just getting one sided opinions. For a channel that champions diversity in all things sports they sure ignore it in diversity of thought.....unless you are arguing MJ vs Lebron lol...but you catch my drift. Peace!✌️

I just think after awhile when your station is dedicated to just one thing like sports and it is 24/7/365 it is hard to do quality programming.  Just like the news channels you have so programming time to fill you have to try to come up with things people watch.  You then are left with the trash that is TV today.  It was easier to have quality programming when you had 3 or 4 networks and TV stations turned off at  midnight.

7 minutes ago, rico said:

Drunk?

and pure entertainment!  i miss Harry.  this thread has my BP up just thinking about Joe Buck doing baseball games.  i have started muting most baseball games due to morons like Buck and local broadcasters who can't even call a decent game because all they do is cheer for their team and complain about calls.   

4 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

and pure entertainment!  i miss Harry.  this thread has my BP up just thinking about Joe Buck doing baseball games.  i have started muting most baseball games due to morons like Buck and local broadcasters who can't even call a decent game because all they do is cheer for their team and complain about calls.   

I still listen to the Cubs' radio broadcasts.  But I miss Ron Santo.

1 hour ago, rico said:

I still listen to the Cubs' radio broadcasts.  But I miss Ron Santo.

Pat Hughes telling the story of Ronnie's toupee catching on fire is a classic...

"Hughes heard something ‘sizzling like bacon.’ He turned around, saw Santo’s head on fire and quickly poured a cup of water on it. ”'He said how does it look?’ Hughes said. 'I lied and said, 'It doesn’t look that bad.’ It actually looked like a professional golfer had taken a pitching wedge and hit one off his head.’“

Archived