ESPN/We love Sage Steele

rico

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Drroogh said:

That’s just terrible.  I’d use much stronger language but this is a family show.  I’m glad it was exposed.  I am 100% for all rights of all people.  People should be judged by their character not their background or race etc.  But, you have to handle things intelligently and constructively.  This is the opposite of that.  Better leadership is needed when you see idiocy like that.  

12 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Sage Steele's treatment is not at all surprising considering ESPN's track record.  She's too talented to stay at that trash heap. 

Hope she finds a home at a more ideologically-inclusive employer.

And FOX says "Come on over..."

22 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Why not?

That's kind of where I'm at as well. By all accounts Sage loved Arizona living far more than she does Connecticut. NFL and College Football studios in LA. 1 hour flight max....and with Fox College Hoops (BTN connections too) to me it makes plenty of sense.....not to mention Fox would back up the Brinks truck to cherry pick arguably the largest sportscaster going and rub a little salt in whatever is left at ESPN in coming years.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

That's kind of where I'm at as well. By all accounts Sage loved Arizona living far more than she does Connecticut. NFL and College Football studios in LA. 1 hour flight max....and with Fox College Hoops (BTN connections too) to me it makes plenty of sense.....not to mention Fox would back up the Brinks truck to cherry pick arguably the largest sportscaster going and rub a little salt in whatever is left at ESPN in coming years.

I think FOX would make her the face of their sports coverage...hell, I will donate money for her salary to get her to Fox.

9 minutes ago, Sark said:

I was hoping you could list some intelligent reasons for her to make such a move.

You really like to insult other poster's intellect, don't you? You need to get over yourself...

You know, money isn't everything to some people. A "good fit" in the working environment, being able to "be yourself" and possibly getting in on replacing ESPN as the most viewed sports network might be possible reasons.

I've said all along, there's a huge void in the sports world. Some of us don't like to be lectured every time we turn around about the significant social issue of a particular day. Some of us just want to see who hit the game winning home run, or sank the winning shot...

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

You really like to insult other poster's intellects, don't you? You need to get over yourself...

You know, money isn't everything to some people. A "good fit" in the working environment, being able to "be yourself" and possibly getting in on replacing ESPN as the most viewed sports network might be possible reasons.

I've said all along, there's a huge void in the sports world. Some of us don't like to be lectured every time we turn around about the significant social issue of a particular day. Some of us just want to see who hit the game winning home run, or sank the winning shot...

I am pretty sure he is a guy that posted over at rivals named Ordfan.  He was banned from there many times and kept coming back under different user names.  His ammo was to argue with everyone trying to make himself look smarter than anyone else.  He always talked about how much of an insider he was to the IU program but never could prove it.

Just now, IU Scott said:

I am pretty sure he is a guy that posted over at rivals named Ordfan.  He was banned from there many times and kept coming back under different user names.  His ammo was to argue with everyone trying to make himself look smarter than anyone else.  He always talked about how much of an insider he was to the IU program but never could prove it.

You know, I was once accused of being ordfan over there...I considered that quite an affront...

6 minutes ago, Sark said:

How have I insulted anyone’s intellect? By posing a question? That’s hardly an insult. I readily admit that I don’t find compelling the hysterics associated with ESPN allegedly being “woke”, especially because those who complain the loudest would happily accept political commentary if it was more consistent with their beliefs, especially when the instances of it occurring are so rare.

Sage is a smart lady. She’s unlikely to sabotage her career based on one perceived slight.

Not at all...as I said, some of us just want to see sports highlights. If I want to see political theater, I'll tune into a channel that is geared toward such coverage. I don't need the 2 to mix...

And I doubt moving from ESPN to Fox Sports would "sabotage her career." 

ESPN has the bevy of major sports contracts right now, so of course they attract more viewers. The have the NFL, NBA, and MLB contracts. Once those expire, I think the competition for viewers will be up for grabs.

52 minutes ago, Sark said:

For what duties? And all because she perceived that two co-workers objected to her involvement in something? It would lower her profile considerably, as well.

It's your opinion that it would lower her profile. No proof of that. No facts.

Facts suggest that it didn't hurt Cowherd when he made the move. Did not hurt Dan Patrick when he left ESPN. Rich Eisen has been extremely successful since he left.Erin Andrews is on the #1 Fox NFL team.

Come back with some facts to prove your opinion, or otherwise it just comes off as you running contra yet again.

1 hour ago, Sark said:

Of course it’s my opinion. Is it your opinion that SS is at a Cowherd, Patrick, Eisen or Andrews level or profile? Would you have any support for that view? Just curious if you had any facts to support your position. Thanks.

Your the one always requesting facts so i figured you'd have more to back up your position. 

Be that as it may, I can state factually that Steele holds the same opinion Patrick and Eisen held at ESPN--co-host of SportsCenter. She has not hosted her own show, like Cowherd. She probably has more cache than Andrews did, as Andrews was primarily a sideline reporter. And, being a minority woman certainly would help her value to a network looking to maintain diversity. 

Have not heard anything from you supporting your stance that she would not be helped by a move to Fox.

6 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Your the one always requesting facts so i figured you'd have more to back up your position. 

Be that as it may, I can state factually that Steele holds the same opinion Patrick and Eisen held at ESPN--co-host of SportsCenter. She has not hosted her own show, like Cowherd. She probably has more cache than Andrews did, as Andrews was primarily a sideline reporter. And, being a minority woman certainly would help her value to a network looking to maintain diversity. 

Have not heard anything from you supporting your stance that she would not be helped by a move to Fox.

He wanted facts when I showed him articles abut coach K or Cal but when he is asked for facts he is no where to be seen.  That is typical Ordfan from rivals  which I feel this is the same person.

11 minutes ago, Sark said:

So, in spite of what you say, those other broadcasters have been valued to a greater degree than has SS, which is compelling proof that her profile and appeal is lower than any of theirs. Thanks for the assistance.👍

Not sure how you came to that conclusion. But nice try. 

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

This a thousand times over.  Out of curiosity, I checked out SportsCenter last night and they had this big segment about NBA players using their media time to promote social justice.  I don't mind it coming up in an interview, but a whole segment on it?  Hard Pass.  ESPN has 💩 the bed and left the door wide open for Fox and others to capitalize and gain huge market share.  I told my daughter the time was right to sell Disney because at some point, ESPN is just going to be a money pit.

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

What Sark does is called sealioning.

9 minutes ago, Sark said:

Horrible. Michael Smith had anchored some but Hill never had, and it showed. But didn’t that end at least two years ago? Is that still an issue for anyone? And other than Will Cain, who also left, was there anyone else who spent much time babbling about politics and social issues? 

You said "the instances of ESPN being woke are overblown." I demonstrated that they weren't...doesn't matter how long ago...They tried WokeCenter, and the public responded by not watching. Simple as that.  

I’m going to say my piece and not argue about it. Sage is too good to put up with that crap. Honestly ESPN have pushed other voices over hers for years now. She is incredibly smart and insightful and thought provoking. I don’t always agree 100% but they push giving others their own shows etc and limit her voice I think she could do better. ESPN needs anchors and personalities like Sage not the other way around. It isn’t easy to step out and take a risk...especially for a minority woman in the sports industry but Fox or any other network would  reap the benefits of having her. Cowherd, DP, Eisen, Andrews have shown if you are good at your job people will watch/listen. They haven’t hurt their brands one bit by moving on...in fact they have only improved their brand. If Sage stays that is fine...will give me at least one person I look forward to hearing from on that show. I still enjoy SVP doing updates and interviews from time to time as well so it isn’t like ESPN is void of talent...But if Sage wanted to jump ship I’d welcome it.

Archived