Mason Miller committed to Creighton.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bryan Moss, publisher of the Memphis Rivals page, changed his FutureCast pick of Memphis to Indiana today.

I heard Kaufman and Miller won't play together.

I think the other option is Creighton, he will pick IU sooner rather than later and will have ZERO impact on Kaufman.

Posted Images

5 hours ago, BGleas said:

Seems like a shortsighted view for a recruit. It's pretty simple if you're Archie. Show a recruit all of the wide open jumpers Justin Smith either passed up or flatout bricked or airballed, and let the recruit know that it would be them nailing those shots within our system. 

It's not like stretch 4's don't get tons of shot opportunities, most ever team runs the exact same stuff, we're just looking for someone that wants to come in and actually take/make those shots. 

I kinda agree with that but I’m not sure it’s that simple. The reason Justin is so open is not because of the offense. It’s because the other team played way off him and didn’t respect him(rightfully so). Truth of the matter is we didn’t run ANY action for Justin. Precisely because it would be pointless but when opposing coaches are showing guys how they will run plays for them, how they will utilize them, and have guys being successful and going pro etc etc that makes it easier to envision. I know what you are saying and agree somewhat because there would be shots for him and he would see plenty of touches but kids want to see successful utilization. Showing a kid that never developed a shot, a handle, a move...doesn’t instill confidence you will get the most out of me. Will you improve my game? They want proof of concept if you know what I mean.

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Man oh man...this poor kid has some of the worst acne I've seen in awhile.  Makes me wonder if it's an effect of all this mask wearing in 2020.

I think I just discovered Creighton's secret weapon in this recruitment...

https://medschool.creighton.edu/departments/medicine/divisions/dermatology

https://youtu.be/9Jz1TjCphXE

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Man oh man...this poor kid has some of the worst acne I've seen in awhile.  Makes me wonder if it's an effect of all this mask wearing in 2020.

I think I just discovered Creighton's secret weapon in this recruitment...

https://medschool.creighton.edu/departments/medicine/divisions/dermatology

Dude ... c’mn man

• Like 6
23 hours ago, BGleas said:

Seems like a shortsighted view for a recruit. It's pretty simple if you're Archie. Show a recruit all of the wide open jumpers Justin Smith either passed up or flatout bricked or airballed, and let the recruit know that it would be them nailing those shots within our system. 

It's not like stretch 4's don't get tons of shot opportunities, most ever team runs the exact same stuff, we're just looking for someone that wants to come in and actually take/make those shots. 

I get where you’re coming from, but there’s no way showing recruits tape of a former player bricking a bunch of shots is an effective recruiting tactic.  

1 minute ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I get where you’re coming from, but there’s no way showing recruits tape of a former player bricking a bunch of shots is an effective recruiting tactic.  

Why not? As a recruit that is a shooter, I would be licking my chops to know I have a real chance to step into that role and get playing time right away. 

18 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Why not? As a recruit that is a shooter, I would be licking my chops to know I have a real chance to step into that role and get playing time right away. 

That may make sense logically, but I just don’t see how highlighting missed shots in an offense that has quite frankly been atrocious since Archie got here is going to be very appealing to recruits.  Especially in a situation like thus, where we’re competing against a team that had the third ranked offense last year.  Miller has repeated multiple times how much he loves Creighton’s offense — recruits really don’t say that about IU.

And I know you say that IU runs the same offense as any other school, but I really don’t think it’s a friendly offense for shooters.  IU has ranked 272nd, 297th, and 325th in threes attempted since Archie got here (with the ranking going down each year).  A quick three early in the shot clock gets an underclassman immediately pulled and chewed out, and players have clearly been tentative and hesitant to pull the trigger when they do get an open shot.  To me, limiting three point attempts appears to be a feature of the offense, not a bug.

Edit - 3PA rankings during Archie’s tenure at Dayton:

2011: 27th

2012: 299th

2013: 205th

2014: 165th

2015: 208th

2016: 181st

Edited by FW_Hoosier
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
28 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

That may make sense logically, but I just don’t see how highlighting missed shots in an offense that has quite frankly been atrocious since Archie got here is going to be very appealing to recruits.  Especially in a situation like thus, where we’re competing against a team that had the third ranked offense last year.  Miller has repeated multiple times how much he loves Creighton’s offense — recruits really don’t say that about IU.

And I know you say that IU runs the same offense as any other school, but I really don’t think it’s a friendly offense for shooters.  IU has ranked 272nd, 297th, and 325th in threes attempted since Archie got here (with the ranking going down each year).  A quick three early in the shot clock gets an underclassman immediately pulled and chewed out, and players have clearly been tentative and hesitant to pull the trigger when they do get an open shot.  To me, limiting three point attempts appears to be a feature of the offense, not a bug.

"Where have all the shooters gone, Indiana?"

"Where have all the shooters gone, like Jimmy Rayl?"

"Where have all the shooters gone?"

"Gone to Creighton every one."

"When will we ever learn. When will we ever learn."

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Haha 1
15 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

This is disturbing

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

This is disturbing

Wow...sometimes stats are misleading...but those are indeed down right scary. I think Archie realizes it....especially at a higher level conference and against higher level competition and is trying to remedy it...but make no mistake...shooting has not been a strong suit under Archie.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

The video doesn't have to show the result of the shot, just the action that freed up the shooter and him getting a shot off then cut to the next highlight.

Of course, it didn't run plays to get Smith open, the defenses gave him those shots.

40 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I don’t want to repeat my post but wonder what your opinion of what I responded to you from before is. I really respect that you’ve been around high level basketball environment and your insight is always unique and invaluable because of your experiences with those at that level. Thanks!

28 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

,Too many of CTC's players, could not trust them to shoot. Now that they are basically all his you see a big difference. 

So obvious I won't even put the cup of coffee emoji

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I think there is a little of both here...obviously the offense isn't tailored to be perimeter oriented, but there are shots there.  The big problem is we didn't have many players you wanted to take those shots, so they didn't.  I mean I know I'm not the only one that thought holy crap every time Justin Smith threw up another brick.  Basically Al, Rob, and then Jerome towards the end of the year were the only guys I would want shooting threes consistently on last years roster.  I think the news recruits will help curb this some.  Leal, Galloway, Geronimo, and Lander all seem like above average shooters.  I again think we need to see what happens when AM actually gets HIS players into the system.  

I don't think we will ever be a top 25 team in attempts but possibly top 75 or so.

31 minutes ago, gnet550 said:

I think there is a little of both here...obviously the offense isn't tailored to be perimeter oriented, but there are shots there.  The big problem is we didn't have many players you wanted to take those shots, so they didn't.  I mean I know I'm not the only one that thought holy crap every time Justin Smith threw up another brick.  Basically Al, Rob, and then Jerome towards the end of the year were the only guys I would want shooting threes consistently on last years roster.  I think the news recruits will help curb this some.  Leal, Galloway, Geronimo, and Lander all seem like above average shooters.  I again think we need to see what happens when AM actually gets HIS players into the system.  

I don't think we will ever be a top 25 team in attempts but possibly top 75 or so.

He’ll have to overhaul his offensive system to do that, as the only time one of his team’s have ever been in the top 150 was his first season at Dayton.

Just now, go_iu_bb said:

The video doesn't have to show the result of the shot, just the action that freed up the shooter and him getting a shot off then cut to the next highlight.

Of course, it didn't run plays to get Smith open, the defenses gave him those shots.

But that’s the thing...we didn’t run any action/plays for Justin. No special sets. He is left completely open because he can’t shoot. Defenses sagged off leaving him wide open by choice not because of our scheme etc. those open looks likely wouldn’t be there for a shooter like Miller. We would have to run specific action for him and that is what kids aren’t seeing. They want to see kids succeed in our system so that they know it works.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

But that’s the thing...we didn’t run any action/plays for Justin. No special sets. He is left completely open because he can’t shoot. Defenses sagged off leaving him wide open by choice not because of our scheme etc. those open looks likely wouldn’t be there for a shooter like Miller. We would have to run specific action for him and that is what kids aren’t seeing. They want to see kids succeed in our system so that they know it works.

Did you read the last sentence of my post before writing this?

• bluegrassIU changed the title to Mason Miller committed to Creighton.