Mason Miller committed to Creighton.

12 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

Did you read the last sentence of my post before writing this?

I did but that contradicts the first part so I wasn’t sure where you landed on the fence of why kids especially a stretch 4 would wonder how they would fit into our system. You can’t just cut to Smith and say this would work for you because Smith was left uncovered...nobody is leaving a shooter like Miller alone. Sorry I guess I missunderstood which point you were making.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bryan Moss, publisher of the Memphis Rivals page, changed his FutureCast pick of Memphis to Indiana today.

I heard Kaufman and Miller won't play together.

I think the other option is Creighton, he will pick IU sooner rather than later and will have ZERO impact on Kaufman.

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I did but that contradicts the first part so I wasn’t sure where you landed on the fence of why kids especially a stretch 4 would wonder how they would fit into our system. You can’t just cut to Smith and say this would work for you because Smith was left uncovered...nobody is leaving a shooter like Miller alone. Sorry I guess I missunderstood which point you were making.

The point was just because someone is a bad shooter and misses a lot of shots doesn't mean they can't be used as evidence of a system to sell a recruit. Whether the player makes or misses the shot is irrelevant. The play looks better if the player makes it but editing can be used to not show the miss. 

Then I pointed out why this doesn't really apply to Justin Smith.

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yes, Smith was sagged off, but think if the ball went in or there was more driving with open lanes....open still

1 hour ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Yes, Smith was sagged off, but think if the ball went in or there was more driving with open lanes....open still

Oh no doubt...the struggles offensively have been exaggerated because we play 4 on 5 at the offensive end. Having a threat to score and draw out a defender would help the team but when it comes down to attracting a stretch 4 you can’t say you would just have all these open looks because teams would defend Miller differently then Justin...and we don’t have any examples of how we would run sets and plays for Miller because we never run sets for our 4 with Smith. Hopefully, Hunter will be a better example of what that position can be.

16 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Show him Evan Fitzner against Marquette in 2018 for what a stretch 4 could do in our offense. Unfortunately he lost his confidence and shot at some point and never seemed to regain it.

That’s great but I think what is becoming evident is for the high level recruits at that position...the Hurts, Garcia’s, Patterson’s, Kaufman’s, and now maybe Miller and others what we have done at that position isn’t translating or isn’t selling us to kids. If what we keep hearing is that the offense doesn’t fit....the stuff we hear positive about other programs and why they are getting picked then eventually you have to look at what you are doing and either adjust or realize those kids are likely going elsewhere. I take the kids at their word....what we are running is not as good a fit for what they want play. How many more times do we have to hear it before we realize it’s the truth that kids at that position don’t like our offense. Now...that hasn’t inhibited us getting guards or bigs necessarily but our offense is scaring enough kids away that it’s becoming obvious. We don’t take a lot of 3s, we don’t have a perimeter orientated offense and that might not stop some kids but if you want shooters it might be hard to get their commitments. It might work itself out but right now our offense is hurting us from finding shooters. Hopefully some improvement will happen and that can change or we get one of these kids to commit and they show for others how it can work. One way or the other we do need to fix this though and that’s on Archie to make the adjustments in the offense or on the recruiting trail.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Oh no doubt...the struggles offensively have been exaggerated because we play 4 on 5 at the offensive end. Having a threat to score and draw out a defender would help the team but when it comes down to attracting a stretch 4 you can’t say you would just have all these open looks because teams would defend Miller differently then Justin...and we don’t have any examples of how we would run sets and plays for Miller because we never run sets for our 4 with Smith. Hopefully, Hunter will be a better example of what that position can be.

Yeah, I think Hunter is the better comparison. The only 3 game stretch of his career where he was getting mid to high 20 minutes, he got up 16 3's and the rest of the year he was on a similar per minute pace. I would have to think that makes the point that a big wing can get outside shots. I'd have to go back and look at tape, but I think defenses have always respected Hunter's shot in a way they never did Smith.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Show him Evan Fitzner against Marquette in 2018 for what a stretch 4 could do in our offense. Unfortunately he lost his confidence and shot at some point and never seemed to regain it.

Man that game got me excited for what I thought the year would be. Fitzner looked like a steal and the team appeared to be a well-oiled offensive machine but both, unfortunately, turned out to be fools gold.

• Like 5
18 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

I bet if Mason commits to Creighton we’ll be active in the transfer portal after this year. Definitely not a bad thing. 

Transfers behave the exact same way recruits do. They go to the programs that are hot.

A lot of our fans think we're going to be an attractive destination for grad transfers, but it almost never works out that way. If we're losing recruits to Creighton and Purdue, we'll lose transfers to Louisville and Kentucky and Arizona.

• Like 5

With the NIL thing coming up, I can't imagine a ton of programs being able to out market IU.  

We gotta start winning and winning big.  I feel like CAM almost has to go 3 guardish, Jerome the 4 guy, open up the floor, shoot more threes.  It's what recruits want.  That video showing Race banging 3s and talk that he has put in the most work.  I hope it all comes together.  I really do feel this team is going to surprise.  

Edited by NotIThatLives
  • Like 3
4 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

Really, that’s hopeful 

Agreed. However.... also hearing Miller is a little gun shy about the size of I.U.'s campus.  But postponing the decision makes it more hopeful for I.U. than last week.

Stay safe. 

• Like 1
  • bluegrassIU changed the title to Mason Miller committed to Creighton.