Mason Miller committed to Creighton.

4 hours ago, 5fouls said:

It depends on if we played well while we were winning.  Being undefeated does not mean a thing if you look crappy doing it.  :coffee:

You could also say being undefeated doesn’t mean much if you are playing teams ranked in the 300s. Who you beat is just as important. It’s why I don’t get overly excited about our overall record being tiny bit better. To me what matters is the B1G and we have been losing ground there. I won’t be happy with a back half of the B1G finish this year I can tell you that. We have too much talent to be falling behind. I anticipate a much better year this year but man it’s critical we start making strides in our conference because our conference members are our biggest recruiting competition...not just for in state kids but out of state. If you look at who we offer 9/10 another B1G coach is offering as well. You need to win those battles on the court so you can off it.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bryan Moss, publisher of the Memphis Rivals page, changed his FutureCast pick of Memphis to Indiana today.

I heard Kaufman and Miller won't play together.

I think the other option is Creighton, he will pick IU sooner rather than later and will have ZERO impact on Kaufman.

Posted Images

32 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Maybe Archie needs to just tell the kids what they want to hear.  Tell each player they can come in and shoot 20 threes a game.  Tell them that defense is optional and you will never sit on the bench. LOL!

I am wondering how not being able to get kids on campus to see a game impacted this class.  At least Muhammad has been to campus.

I think to campus makes a difference...to a game wouldn’t have effected most of this class. We had fans last year...how many times did Trey go to games? We will see about next class though...they probably won’t get to see the Hall full.

28 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I doubt he stays past two years.  Most kids will Lea e once they feel like they have done enough to go.  It seems like there have been players leave after a year or two when  you never would expected.  There was a freshman PG at Standford that left after one year and I bet the coaches never thought he would leave that early.  When OG and VO signed did you think they would leave early for the NBA.

I hear ya.  

Just now, Bustout said:

I hear ya.  

Creighton had a kid that left early this year as a junior.  I think he might have been a top 50-60 player who went to Oak Hill Academy.  I actually saw him at Newcastle when they had a national high school games there.  He was real good but did not look at him and day he would be a guy who left early.  The bad part he went undrafted and if he would have came back Creighton could have been a final four team.

7 minutes ago, IndySportsPartizan said:

Archie took Dayton to the Elite 8 with a bunch of 2 and 3 stars. But it took him a few years to get his system in. Patience gentlemen, a few missed recruits is not the end of the world.

Amen and remember he won a game in the tournament with no starter over 6'6

• Like 4

Some quotes from Miller on his decision.

Miller, who is the son of long time NBA player Mike Miller, checks in as the No. 65 player in the 247Sports Composite for the class of 2021, and he selected the Bluejays over Indiana in what was a very competitive recruitment.

“It was definitely a hard decision,” Miller told 247Sports. “I am close with both of the coaching staffs, but I knew I could only choose one school. I liked Indiana a lot, but Creighton had what I needed. It was a really hard decision, but I feel it was the right one.”

When asked what it was about Creighton that led to the commitment, Miller said, “Creighton was one of the first schools to recruit me and I have known them the longest of any coaching staff. Coach McDermott and Coach (Alan) Huss are cool coaches who won’t get on you for missing shots. They are all about confidence and helping you get better.”

At 6-foot-8, Miller is someone who can play either forward spot, and is known for his skill level on the court. A good shooter and a solid athlete, Miller is a proven producer and someone who is seen as a good fit for what Gregg McDermott and his staff like to do.

Style of play proved to be a huge factor for Miller, and he likes how he fits into the Creighton offense.

“They definitely said I would play more than one position,” explained Miller. “They showed me how they would use me off of ball screens, and then also in pick and pop situations. I will be able to play the four and the three for them, and sometimes even the two. I just feel like their system fits my game really well.”

Edited by IU Scott
1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Like I said in another post with each player getting an extra year I think it would cover one bad recruiting cycle. Like I said next year you actually have 5 freshman since this year's freshman would be considered freshman next year as well.

As for transfers I would just bring them in to.replace TJD and Brunk.

Those freshman are then still having to sit behind guys another year then. It isn’t they get just as much time as before it’s they have to sit two years maybe 3 being someone now. You are much more likely to see a young guy transfer out then if say Al comes back again. We’ve had a guy transfer every year...what makes you think someone won’t next year. Every year there are guys not happy...making them sit longer will do that.

9 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Those freshman are then still having to sit behind guys another year then. It isn’t they get just as much time as before it’s they have to sit two years maybe 3 being someone now. You are much more likely to see a young guy transfer out then if say Al comes back again. We’ve had a guy transfer every year...what makes you think someone won’t next year. Every year there are guys not happy...making them sit longer will do that.

We have no idea if Al or Brunk will even want to come back but f they do we shouldn't run them off

2 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

Not the end of the world. But anybody that ignores the fact we just lost two recruits,that we have spent a ton of energy, on is simply blindly optimistic.

IU worked hard on two recruits and lost them Purdue and Creighton. 

Maybe good reasons (playing time etc), but still can not be purely blown off as "oh well".

I am not down on recruiting as a whole, but these do sting a little. 

I think it’s a lot about that position too. Hurt, Brooks, Watford, Garcia, Cross, Patterson, Kaufman, Miller...we have really struggled at that stretch 4 position. I mean Archie did land Hunter and Thompson but that’s been a few recruiting classes ago now. Can’t deny that it’s been a struggle to land that specific position.

Edited by dgambill
1 minute ago, dgambill said:

I think it’s a lot about that position too. Hurt, Brooks, Watford, Garcia, Patterson, Kaufman, Miller...we have really struggled at that stretch 4 position. I mean Archie did land Hunter and Thompson but that’s been a few recruiting classes ago now. Can’t deny that it’s been a struggle to land that specific position.

Probably because Archie might see the 4 differently than what the payers sees it.  I think most of those players sees themselves as outside players but Archie wants them to be a combo player.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

We have no idea if Al or Brunk will even want to come back but f they do we shouldn't run them off

Yes and no. Brunk maybe not because we honestly might not have a center on the roster outside Duncomb but as much as I love Al as a person those minutes he would take away from Armaan and Leal and Galloway and Geronimo could jeopardize a lot more than a 5th year of Al is worth. Trust Archie to know best but there is a lot more at play then just guys coming back...a lot of minutia.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Probably because Archie might see the 4 differently than what the payers sees it.  I think most of those players sees themselves as outside players but Archie wants them to be a combo player.

I think the players don’t like how Archie has utilized the position in his offense and see he hasn’t developed the last guy at your position.

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yes and no. Brunk maybe not because we honestly might not have a center on the roster outside Duncomb but as much as I love Al as a person those minutes he would take away from Armaan and Leal and Galloway and Geronimo could jeopardize a lot more than a 5th year of Al is worth. Trust Archie to know best but there is a lot more at play then just guys coming back...a lot of minutia.

I am just thinking that if you run off a player it would hurt getting other players to come to play for him.

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think the players don’t like how Archie has utilized the position in his offense and see he hasn’t developed the last guy at your position.

They should take a long look at Morgan.  The guy developed his game and was a dominate scorer.  Yes, he played the 5 on D most of the time, but he was a 3/4/5 on offense.  His game produced from everywhere.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

Yeah it stings for sure. But if you'd rather play for pU or Creighton than IU well I feel just as sorry for you, as I do for us. Go Hoosiers! 

Why Creighton is #9 in the country and Purdue beats our ass every time we play them We arent better.

1 minute ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

They should take a long look at Morgan.  The guy developed his game and was a dominate scorer.  Yes, he played the 5 on D most of the time, but he was a 3/4/5 on offense.  His game produced from everywhere.  

I was at the Butler game his senior year and he singled handily kept us in the game.  He hit like 4 3's in the second half that showed what he was cable of.  His two years under Archie showed how much he developed and it got him onto the NBA.

• Like 2

When asked what it was about Creighton that led to the commitment, Miller said, “Creighton was one of the first schools to recruit me and I have known them the longest of any coaching staff. Coach McDermott and Coach (Alan) Huss are cool coaches who won’t get on you for missing shots. They are all about confidence and helping you get better.”

Just another kid that wants to run up and down throwing it up. Good for him for picking the right school. Archie being an old school coach will miss 100% of the time with soft kids that dont want to be coached.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am just thinking that if you run off a player it would hurt getting other players to come to play for him.

Depends on how you do it. For sure it could if you don’t handle it right. The kid got to play for 4 years. You aren’t denying him anything. You have to decide how it will effect your program. Do you risk one year of Al vs 2-3 more years of Leal or Armaan or 4 of a recruit that might be coming in expecting to play meaningful minutes he might not get with Al still there. Just saying a lot will go into it. I won’t predict anything just it’s as complicated as saying Trayce and Lander will go pro as to say Al and Brunk will come back.