Mason Miller committed to Creighton.

One thing I've seen a few times now in recruit interviews is the negativity around the idea of being yanked for missing a shot.  I don't believe this happens much and that misconception needs to be cleared up.  A player is often pulled for making a bad play.  Maybe that is a missed shot, but it's not because of the miss...it's because of the bad shot decision.

Are today's kids really going to sulk if they get a breather after making a stupid play?  Personally, I'm all for this kind of coaching.  If you make a stupid play, a few minutes on the bench to collect yourself and consider adjustments to prevent making a repeat bad play is simply a coach trying to set you up for future success.  If you choose to brood and sulk during your break, that sounds like bad parenting and/or a coddled kid.  I'm not thinking of Mason Miller here...I have no idea how he'd react since I haven't watched him in anything more than a few highlights.  I'm reflecting on a kid who recently left and supposedly complained to another coach that his teammates wouldn't give him the ball to chuck a few more bricks per game.  He's not alone and for me, this is a disappointing trend.

If this is the kind of recruit Archie "misses" on going forward, I'm fine with that.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bryan Moss, publisher of the Memphis Rivals page, changed his FutureCast pick of Memphis to Indiana today.

I heard Kaufman and Miller won't play together.

I think the other option is Creighton, he will pick IU sooner rather than later and will have ZERO impact on Kaufman.

Posted Images

8 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Also if you read the quoted I posted in the thread about Archie's radio show that Geronimo might be that stretch 4.  If he comes to close to this comment then we might have something. Archie said he is the most talented player he has recruited in a long time.

Yes but let’s be real...Jordan would have those same shortcomings against power 4s. He is ubber athletic but in the post he would give up several inches and too much weight to keep them pushed off the block. I’m excited to play smaller and faster and this confirms to me that Archie is going to change up the offense but for the same reason Archie would play Jordan at the 4 with some work Miller could have too. So again that is why we have been targeting guys like I listed in my post above....we’ve missed on several several now. I think Hunters injury has hurt us on several fronts because it forced us to keep playing Smith so many minutes. Race is a more typical 4 although hopefully reports he is knocking down shots is true because we need that aspect from his game because teams will defend him the same way as Justin if not

8 hours ago, Lurker said:

I imagine everyone that recruited against IU showed a montage of IU scoring droughts. That would scare off any recruit, or bore them since the video would be lengthy. I fully expect those days are now behind us and am confident the offense will look much better this year and recruiting at the 4 will improve.

My hope is Jerome plays plenty at the 4 this year. I really really want to see Trayce surrounded by shooters/slashers. Race and Trayce playing lots of 5 and little bit together against bigger front courts. Our offense just bogs down with too many non shooters on the floor last year. So methodical and slow of pace. That is why kids don’t necessarily want to play in it. If we can show Jerome playing the 4 knocking down 40% of his 3s and moving without the ball getting looks that will excite some kids.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

One thing I've seen a few times now in recruit interviews is the negativity around the idea of being yanked for missing a shot.  I don't believe this happens much and that misconception needs to be cleared up.  A player is often pulled for making a bad play.  Maybe that is a missed shot, but it's not because of the miss...it's because of the bad shot decision.

Are today's kids really going to sulk if they get a breather after making a stupid play?  Personally, I'm all for this kind of coaching.  If you make a stupid play, a few minutes on the bench to collect yourself and consider adjustments to prevent making a repeat bad play is simply a coach trying to set you up for future success.  If you choose to brood and sulk during your break, that sounds like bad parenting and/or a coddled kid.  I'm not thinking of Mason Miller here...I have no idea how he'd react since I haven't watched him in anything more than a few highlights.  I'm reflecting on a kid who recently left and supposedly complained to another coach that his teammates wouldn't give him the ball to chuck a few more bricks per game.  He's not alone and for me, this is a disappointing trend.

If this is the kind of recruit Archie "misses" on going forward, I'm fine with that.

It could be a misconception that Archie has a quick trigger because he substitutes so often and well we miss so many shots. I think all kids expect hard coaching and to be pulled for bonehead plays...but Archie rarely goes longer than 4 mins without subbing just about all his players except say Trayce or Romeo of Morgan when they were here. So it may look different to a recruit. In the end I think the answers kids give is pretty generic and so often similar. “I like their offense...I feel free to shoot and their style appeals to me”. Archie doesn’t have a free flowing offense like that...so he may always have problems getting interest on these type of recruits. Good or bad it may just be what it is. That said I really really anticipate a different offense this year..at least a different version because we can attack from multiple positions now and hopefully have more shooters.

Just now, dgambill said:

It could be a misconception that Archie has a quick trigger because he substitutes so often and well we miss so many shots. I think all kids expect hard coaching and to be pulled for bonehead plays...but Archie rarely goes longer than 4 mins without subbing just about all his players except say Trayce or Romeo of Morgan when they were here. So it may look different to a recruit. In the end I think the answers kids give is pretty generic and so often similar. “I like their offense...I feel free to shoot and their style appeals to me”. Archie doesn’t have a free flowing offense like that...so he may always have problems getting interest on these type of recruits. Good or bad it may just be what it is. That said I really really anticipate a different offense this year..at least a different version because we can attack from multiple positions now and hopefully have more shooters.

I thought Crean was the master of the maddening substitution...maybe its a plague among college coaches forced to placate players who are basically men with the mind of pampered children?

• Like 2

Do you think stressing Defense first is turning some kids away?  Miller could probably shoot as well as Blackmon Jr, but I wonder if his defense is equally as bad?  

Perhaps miller could play day 1 at Creighton bc it’s so offensively focused and here he was told he’ll have to earn it and it starts on D?

This new 3 guard offense should help recruiting going forward (I know this has been alluded to in this thread). 

10 minutes ago, Bustout said:

Do you think stressing Defense first is turning some kids away?  Miller could probably shoot as well as Blackmon Jr, but I wonder if his defense is equally as bad?  

Perhaps miller could play day 1 at Creighton bc it’s so offensively focused and here he was told he’ll have to earn it and it starts on D?

This new 3 guard offense should help recruiting going forward (I know this has been alluded to in this thread). 

Do you know that CAM is doing this?

16 minutes ago, Bustout said:

If it is, then the philosophy is doing its job on two fronts. 

12 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I guess I've never paid attention to who writes what....nor their background. Retired Mod should be better than this is my two cents. Maybe we should all fly back elsewhere. This seems so literally based in zero emotional intelligence. I kind of expected more in the board from a kid who was never coming to IU.,

I'm sorry reality is hard for you.

10 minutes ago, Bustout said:

Completely agree. I just have to think it’s turning guys away (which is a good thing in the end if they don’t want to commit to D)

It's always hard to judge these things from a handful of videos, but I don't think Miller fits here. I don't see that frame being able to guard guys in the Big Ten and Archie doesn't seem to have much use for guys who can't play D. I hate to miss on guys with a good ranking, but I think Mason made the right call for everybody.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
14 hours ago, Indykev said:

When asked what it was about Creighton that led to the commitment, Miller said, “Creighton was one of the first schools to recruit me and I have known them the longest of any coaching staff. Coach McDermott and Coach (Alan) Huss are cool coaches who won’t get on you for missing shots. They are all about confidence and helping you get better.”

Just another kid that wants to run up and down throwing it up. Good for him for picking the right school. Archie being an old school coach will miss 100% of the time with soft kids that dont want to be coached.

So, I imagine this kid wants to play professionally since his dad did.  Not wanting to play defense and not wanting to take some heat for missing a shot is pretty weak.  This is the problem to me...today's highly rated recruits don't want so much to be a part of a winning TEAM as to be in a position to improve MY GAME for the next level.  I'm old and I get tired of the fact that this is now the state of college bb.  I understand it, but I'm tired of freaking "reveals or announcements".  Yeah, I know... now get off my lawn!!   LOL.  😂

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Shapopojoe said:

I thought Crean was the master of the maddening substitution...maybe its a plague among college coaches forced to placate players who are basically men with the mind of pampered children?

Watching a lot of college basketball a lot of coaches use these same kind of substitution patterns.  Remember Izzo always subs at least two at the first timeout.  It seems like they would get off to a great start and would sub and it would drive me crazy.

• Like 1

I just wish Archie & Co start winning and win big. Then, we won't need to be depressed and second-guess every time we lose a quality recruit to a lesser program. Gotta say since I joined the HSN around 2007, I've been in this situation too long and too many times and feel like I'm not as passionate as I once was to IU basketball. I know things can change once this program starts producing top 15 or better result year in and year out. But until then, I'll try to sit back and relax. 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

I just wish Archie & Co start winning and win big. Then, we won't need to be depressed and second-guess every time we lose a quality recruit to a lesser program. Gotta say since I joined the HSN around 2007, I've been in this situation too long and too many times and feel like I'm not as passionate as I once was to IU basketball. I know things can change once this program starts producing top 15 or better result year in and year out. But until then, I'll try to sit back and relax. 

Thanks for being a long time member of Hoosier Sports Nation.

Best wishes for Thanksgiving to you and yours.  Please stay safe.

51 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Thanks for being a long time member of Hoosier Sports Nation.

Best wishes for Thanksgiving to you and yours.  Please stay safe.

Thank YOU for being a big brother for us all. I've always appreciated your presence. 

Wish you a happy Thanksgiving for you and your family!