Mason Miller committed to Creighton.

We need to hold on to one scholly for a playable transfer big. Brunk gone, maybe TJD. That will leave us with a serviceable Race and Duncomb as a frosh. Grad transfer/transfer to bolster the middle. Take Kaufman as a stretch 4 and Miller with Hunter as the 3. One of Wesley or Mohammed. Best scenerio IMO.

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bryan Moss, publisher of the Memphis Rivals page, changed his FutureCast pick of Memphis to Indiana today.

I heard Kaufman and Miller won't play together.

I think the other option is Creighton, he will pick IU sooner rather than later and will have ZERO impact on Kaufman.

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, gnet550 said:

I could see Archie honestly going small and playing Race at the 5. Generally at Dayton he played without true good bigs. Race is tough as nails and Duncomb could be your 6’11 back up big for the second unit

If TJD is gone then I think you are right. 

1 hour ago, gnet550 said:

I could see Archie honestly going small and playing Race at the 5. Generally at Dayton he played without true good bigs. Race is tough as nails and Duncomb could be your 6’11 back up big for the second unit

I don't know, that was the A10, not the B1G. Not sure I want Race playing the 5 over 4 games in 10 days against a series of B1G bruisers.

Plus Race is only 6'8. You can do that with a Tillman or Wesson at 270 but not 235.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I don't know, that was the A10, not the B1G. Not sure I want Race playing the 5 over 4 games in 10 days against a series of B1G bruisers.

Plus Race is only 6'8. You can do that with a Tillman or Wesson at 270 but not 235.

It goes both ways though...those big slow guys have to try and guard you on the other end...

20 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

If TJD leaves- we're almost certainly gonna be playing small ball in 21-22 with Race as the center.  It's not the end of the world, but just the reality of the situation.  And while I like the players we're in on in 2021, including Miller, I don't see us getting a Zeller or TJD that can play the 5 well right away.  Maybe we can get a transfer- but even then- that player will likely be flawed.  If we're lucky- maybe we get a Joey brunk.  

Ultimately- the issue with our roster construction is we didn't get any good long-term big men in 2018, 2019, or 2020 besides Race.  TJD is great- but it's unlikely he's here after next year.  I'm sure Archie tried.  Forrester might have been a good option.  Garcia would have also solved a lot of issues too.

As far as Miller goes- If he's the 65th best player in the nation and a good shooter, get him. Period.  You just don't pass on a guy like him.  After seeing  a lot of Archie teams now that are quite ugly offensively and lack outside shooting- I would greatly enjoy watching a big man that can shoot from outside.  

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Blazin Hazin said:

If TJD leaves- we're almost certainly gonna be playing small ball in 21-22 with Race as the center.  It's not the end of the world, but just the reality of the situation.  And while I like the players we're in on in 2021, including Miller, I don't see us getting a Zeller or TJD that can play the 5 well right away.  Maybe we can get a transfer- but even then- that player will likely be flawed.  If we're lucky- maybe we get a Joey brunk.  

Ultimately- the issue with our roster construction is we didn't get any good long-term big men in 2018, 2019, or 2020 besides Race.  TJD is great- but it's unlikely he's here after next year.  I'm sure Archie tried.  Forrester might have been a good option.  Garcia would have also solved a lot of issues too.

As far as Miller goes- If he's the 65th best player in the nation and a good shooter, get him. Period.  You just don't pass on a guy like him.  After seeing  a lot of Archie teams now that are quite ugly offensively and lack outside shooting- I would greatly enjoy watching a big man that can shoot from outside.  

Missing Garcia was huge.  It could come back to haunt us almost as much as the Sean May miss IMO.

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Moyeneeded said:

We need to hold on to one scholly for a playable transfer big. Brunk gone, maybe TJD. That will leave us with a serviceable Race and Duncomb as a frosh. Grad transfer/transfer to bolster the middle. Take Kaufman as a stretch 4 and Miller with Hunter as the 3. One of Wesley or Mohammed. Best scenerio IMO.

That would put us right at 13 scholarship players, which is never going to happen under Archie. If Mason Miller and Trey Kaufman say their coming, your not adding a transfer. And if one of Wesley or Mohammed are going to commit, you’re gonna be very set at the guard/wing position. If we had 13 players who all wanted minutes that would just cause division between the team and players would transfer. 

11 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Missing Garcia was huge.  It could come back to haunt us almost as much as the Sean May miss IMO.

Probably only play one year of college ball so not a huge loss.  He wan ted to go to a place that he was guaranteed to be the guy and that wasn't going to be here.

21 hours ago, GrangerHoosier said:

Just get the talent on campus, and figure out how they can play together later.

These guys can play together so your point is moot.  But your statement is respectfully too broad.  A good coach puts foresight into recruiting and what he envisions in terms of fit and especially complementary players.  If you get a hodgepodge of disparate talents, watching the team will give us all a headache.  We’ve had teams like that and they underachieve.  Knight isn’t walking through the door, but guys have roles.  If everybody thinks they are high volume shooters, that’s not working in a team concept that’s trying to win something.  Having a couple of bigs that lose discipline and don’t block out won’t work out together. A 2 and a 3 who are undersized and can’t shoot is a problem.  We’ve seen all of these problems over the years.  

The good news is Archie isn’t just throwing a bunch of guys on the wall to see what sticks.  He has a vision for the combination of players he wants, which you can tell by who he is prioritizing. He wants a 2-3 combo where you have length and a bulls eye shooter plus at least one guy who can help handle and create off the bounce.  He knows where his current roster is deficient in regards to the style of play he wants to propound.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

He gives me a TJ Leaf vibe.  I think Leaf has been a better rebounder but I admittedly don’t know enough about Miller. 

The clips I’ve seen give you an idea on his skill set.  With his range and mobility I think he can play the 3 on offense.  An open question is whether he can defend a three, given the old saying “you are what you can defend.”  He’d have to bulk up a ton to defend a four at the B1G level.  So, does he have the agility and foot speed to defend a three?  Length can sometimes make up for other deficiencies and he’s pretty long for a three.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1
17 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

He gives me a TJ Leaf vibe.  I think Leaf has been a better rebounder but I admittedly don’t know enough about Miller. 

The clips I’ve seen give you an idea on his skill set.  With his range and mobility I think he can play the 3 on offense.  An open question is whether he can defend a three, given the old saying “you are what you can defend.”  He’d have to bulk up a ton to defend a four at the B1G level.  So, does he have the agility and foot speed to defend a three?  Length can sometimes make up for other deficiencies and he’s pretty long for a three.  

Yeah, I'm confused by people unsure if he gels with Kaufman, I don't see anyway Miller can guard a 4 in the BIG a year and a half from now. Seems like growing into that is his best chance to be a star, but for now, he's either a 3, or he's a bench 4 that only sees spot minutes in the right match-ups.

Edited by HoosierDom
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I for one would welcome a TJ Leaf to Indiana University, however, I for one would never welcome TJ Leaf to the Indiana Pacers...….Oh wait he's still in blue and gold sadly

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, Hoosierdave said:

Don’t worry, they’ll make their predictions 7 minutes before the commitment announcement and say they knew all along lol. 

So true. And they seem to be weeding out all the people that don’t do that. Dain Ervin was good about making a pick and sticking to it. Romeo and TJD I think he was first on. Trey also 

Brian Snow specifically said that the Rivals system doesn't have a "murky" option like 247. So if a Rivals writer no longer thinks their pick is accurate, they have to change it to some other school. They can't just remove the pick. That's why the changes to Indiana, who are well positioned in the recruitment. It's the Rivals guys' "next best" guess now that Memphis is most likely out of consideration. The 247 guys haven't changed picks because they don't know where he's going. 

• Like 3
  • bluegrassIU changed the title to Mason Miller committed to Creighton.