Michigan - Top recruit playing overseas

Is it me or has MIchigan been having a really bad off - season. I wonder now that Beilein is available again if they would like him back

Isiah Todd Going overseas

Losing a 5 star hurts. Add this to Christopher picking ASU yesterday, another 5 star, and defections, it seems some turmoil may be happening. Don't know. Still have a lot of talent, but losing two 5 stars, one which was in the fold, and another they thought was going to pick Michigan hurts. Puts them behind the 8 ball with only two 5 stars left for 2021. Thoughts

5 minutes ago, Iuprof said:

Is it me or has MIchigan been having a really bad off - season. I wonder now that Beilein is available again if they would like him back

Isiah Todd Going overseas

Losing a 5 star hurts. Add this to Christopher picking ASU yesterday, another 5 star, and defections, it seems some turmoil may be happening. Don't know. Still have a lot of talent, but losing two 5 stars, one which was in the fold, and another they thought was going to pick Michigan hurts. Puts them behind the 8 ball with only two 5 stars left for 2021. Thoughts

Stings for sure but if looking for a positive spin, Todd was likely only going to be at Michigan for a year. Although he would have made an immediate impact it's not likely he would have developed into an AA in a single year. This allows additional minutes for 7'2 freshman Dickinson who is likely a 2-3 year player. Michigan still has Austin Davis who showed some promise at the end of the year and Brandon Johns, along with Dickinson and Wagner who can all play in the front court.   

4 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Stings for sure but if looking for a positive spin, Todd was likely only going to be at Michigan for a year. Although he would have made an immediate impact it's not likely he would have developed into an AA in a single year. This allows additional minutes for 7'2 freshman Dickinson who is likely a 2-3 year player. Michigan still has Austin Davis who showed some promise at the end of the year and Brandon Johns, along with Dickinson and Wagner who can all play in the front court.   

They have Brooks, Johns, Wagner and Davis from last year but if you ask me they will be lucky to finish in the top half of the conference.  If Livers comes back then they will be good but still not great.

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

They have Brooks, Johns, Wagner and Davis from last year but if you ask me they will be lucky to finish in the top half of the conference.  If Livers comes back then they will be good but still not great.

I think Franz Wagner is going to be the most improved player in the Big Ten. Had great numbers for a freshman and has the size/skill-set to be a lottery pick. At 6'8 can shoot and handle the ball while also playing inside. If he's anything like his brother, his development should take off. 

2 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

I think Franz Wagner is going to be the most improved player in the Big Ten. Had great numbers for a freshman and has the size/skill-set to be a lottery pick. At 6'8 can shoot and handle the ball while also playing inside. If he's anything like his brother, his development should take off. 

He will be good but they have really no backcourt experience except for Brooks.  It will have to be seen if guys like Johns and Davis can do well now that they will be counted on to have a bigger role on the team.

They need Livers to return. If that happens they can still be a solid and somewhat dangerous team. If not, they likely fall way off in conference. Even with Livers it is unlikely they can play the style we are accustomed to seeing unless their unproven players really elevate their games. Is there a new Ed Martin available to assist at UM?

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

He will be good but they have really no backcourt experience except for Brooks.  It will have to be seen if guys like Johns and Davis can do well now that they will be counted on to have a bigger role on the team.

Mike Smith grad transfer from Columbia has started over 90 games. Obviously against lower competition but is a much better scorer than Simpson. 

4 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Mike Smith grad transfer from Columbia has started over 90 games. Obviously against lower competition but is a much better scorer than Simpson. 

Well we will have to see how Smith game translates to the big ten.  We have see big scorers from smaller conferences come in the league and not be able to accomplish what they did before.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well we will have to see how Smith game translates to the big ten.  We have see big scorers from smaller conferences come in the league and not be able to accomplish what they did before.

Yeah I'm not expecting him to score 22 ppg either. But he has plenty of game experience and has an offensive skill-set that transfers to this level off play. Scored 23 against Wake Forest, 18 against Virginia, and 20 against St. Johns in games last year against major competition. I think he almost single-handily make up Simpson's scoring production from last year (13ppg). Michigan will obviously miss Simpson's intangibles notably his leadership, but bring back several key pieces to form a pretty experienced team. 

13 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Yeah I'm not expecting him to score 22 ppg either. But he has plenty of game experience and has an offensive skill-set that transfers to this level off play. Scored 23 against Wake Forest, 18 against Virginia, and 20 against St. Johns in games last year against major competition. I think he almost single-handily make up Simpson's scoring production from last year (13ppg). Michigan will obviously miss Simpson's intangibles notably his leadership, but bring back several key pieces to form a pretty experienced team. 

Well we will just have to wait and see but this is my to early big ten projections.  I had Purdue a spot higher before but once Harms left I lowered them

1) Iowa

2) UW

3) IU

4) MSU

5) Rutgers

6) Maryland

7) Purdue

8) UM

9) OSU

10) NW

11) PSU

12) UI- If Ayo goes pro

13) Neb.

14) Minnesota

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well we will just have to wait and see but this is my to early big ten projections.  I had Purdue a spot higher before but once Harms left I lowered them

1) Iowa

2) UW

3) IU

4) MSU

5) Rutgers

6) Maryland

7) Purdue

😎 UM

9) OSU

10) NW

11) PSU

12) UI- If Ayo goes pro

13) Neb.

14) Minnesota

I'd go:

1) Wisconsin---5 returning starters; all seniors

2) MSU---tough to replace Winston and presumably Tillman, Wouldn't bet against Izzo for the world though

3) Iowa---great offensive team; will struggle defensively with their projected lineup

4) Rutgers---Had Michigan here; dropped them a peg with the loss of Todd

5) Michigan

6) Indiana---Lander should come on strong second half of the season

7) Ohio State---will struggle in the front court; still add some big time transfers. Holtmann can really coach

8 ) Illinois---Think they are a top 3 team with Ayo but I don't expect him back; Still will have Cockburn, Frazier and 2 top 50 guards. Plenty of talent

9) Maryland--Outside Morsell/Wiggins/Ayala not very deep or talented after that though

10) Purdue--thin front court; not much experience from expected contributors 

11) Minnesota---could fall further if Carr stays in draft; added some decent transfers

12) Northwesterm---like Kopp and Buie a lot

13) Penn State---no Stevens or Watkins spells troubles

14) Will be competitive but still undermanned. Have a bunch of transfers eligible in 2 years 

42 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

I struggle seeing Wagner playing the 2. Not quick enough to defend smaller guards. I think their best lineup is Smith/Brooks/ Wagner/Livers/Dickinson or Davis.

Take that up with the Maize and Brew!!!!!

54 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

I'd go:

1) Wisconsin---5 returning starters; all seniors

2) MSU---tough to replace Winston and presumably Tillman, Wouldn't bet against Izzo for the world though

3) Iowa---great offensive team; will struggle defensively with their projected lineup

4) Rutgers---Had Michigan here; dropped them a peg with the loss of Todd

5) Michigan

6) Indiana---Lander should come on strong second half of the season

7) Ohio State---will struggle in the front court; still add some big time transfers. Holtmann can really coach

8 ) Illinois---Think they are a top 3 team with Ayo but I don't expect him back; Still will have Cockburn, Frazier and 2 top 50 guards. Plenty of talent

9) Maryland--Outside Morsell/Wiggins/Ayala not very deep or talented after that though

10) Purdue--thin front court; not much experience from expected contributors 

11) Minnesota---could fall further if Carr stays in draft; added some decent transfers

12) Northwesterm---like Kopp and Buie a lot

13) Penn State---no Stevens or Watkins spells troubles

14) Will be competitive but still undermanned. Have a bunch of transfers eligible in 2 years 

Cockburn has entered the draft as well.  Also I worked with Aaron Henry's dad and last I heard Aaron was going to enter his name into the draft.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Cockburn has entered the draft as well.  Also I worked with Aaron Henry's dad and last I heard Aaron was going to enter his name into the draft.

Entering your name into the draft and keeping it your name in the draft is entirely different than testing the process and returning to school. Henry and Cockburn will both be back at their respective schools come the fall.

Just now, IndyResident16 said:

Entering your name into the draft is entirely different than testing the process and returning to school. Henry and Cockburn will both be back at their respective schools. 

I am just basing my predictions on what info we have as right now.  Also I don't think Cockburn will be back

2 minutes ago, rico said:

Besides Michigan's "woes", I am surprised more HS kids don't do what Todd is doing.  

I don't know if it is the best idea to have a 18 year old going over seas by themselves.  To me it is not about on the court stuff that kids have trouble with but it is all the stuff off the court that causes problems.  I know I wouldn't want by 18 year old son going over seas to play basketball while skipping college.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't know if it is the best idea to have a 18 year old going over seas by themselves.  To me it is not about on the court stuff that kids have trouble with but it is all the stuff off the court that causes problems.  I know I wouldn't want by 18 year old son going over seas to play basketball while skipping college.

And I suppose you wouldn't want an 18 year-old joining the military either...

Archived