Michigan - Top recruit playing overseas

13 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Hasn't yet but is expected too. If you read any Illinois board, they are more concerned about losing Ayo than Cockburn. Cockburn needs to develop a much better mid-range game before he gets draft consideration. 

I never have never  gone to any other teams message board because I have no desire to.

I actually feel sorry for these top prospects in basketball because they are not allowed to actually be a kid.  Every aspect of their lives is rush, rush, rush because kid snow trying to get out of HS early.  They go to the NBA as quickly as possible because their parents, coaches and friends see them as their meal ticket.  It Is never a bout what might be the best for the kid himself but what is better for their bank account. 

They never get to just go out with friends from their neighborhood and just go up to the courts and play for fun.  It is about playing AAU and playing as many games as possible all over the country so they already think basketball as a job.  They lose out on a lot of good memories that come from just being a kid especially during your summer vacation.

I know things have change and it will never change but it does not mean it is a good thing as well.

17 hours ago, rico said:

Besides Michigan's "woes", I am surprised more HS kids don't do what Todd is doing.  

It's a tough call for sure. You get paid instantly by going overseas as opposed to college, but I think you also leave just as much, if not more, in branding, sponsorship and name recognition. 

Does the instant contract overseas outweigh the dollars you'd earn in the NBA by being associated with a year at UK, Kansas, Duke, Indiana, North Carolina, etc.? There's risk in both of course, as your college team has to perform to get you that name recognition, but if you go to the right school and have the expected success, I think going to college can still pay off more in the long run. 

5 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Cool.

Just letting you know there's a good possibility Cockburn is back next year. Even if both him and Ayo leave, I think you have them entirely too low for next year.

Without the two of them they will be in the bottom 4 of the league.  They will have lost those two plus Feliz and Griffin who were 4 of their top 6 players.

5 minutes ago, rico said:

Ever think about broadening your horizons?

What can I learn on other teams message board that I can't find elsewhere.  I never liked other fans coming to our message boards that much because they mainly come over to troll.  I know college basketball well enough and know about other teams without having to go see what other fans think.

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

It's a tough call for sure. You get paid instantly by going overseas as opposed to college, but I think you also love just as much, if not more, in branding, sponsorship and name recognition. 

Does the instant contract overseas outweigh the dollars you'd earn in the NBA by being associated with a year at UK, Kansas, Duke, Indiana, North Carolina, etc.? There's risk in both of course, as your college team has to perform to get you that name recognition, but if you go to the right school and have the expected success, I think going to college can still pay off more in the long run. 

Can't argue against anything there...but the NBA pays close attention to what a guy is doing overseas as well.  

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

What can I learn on other teams message board that I can't find elsewhere.  I never liked other fans coming to our message boards that much because they mainly come over to troll.  I know college basketball well enough and know about other teams without having to go see what other fans think.

LOL...whatever Scott.

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

It's a tough call for sure. You get paid instantly by going overseas as opposed to college, but I think you also love just as much, if not more, in branding, sponsorship and name recognition. 

Even if your teams don't do well in college it does not hurt your recognition. Te top pick in 2 out of the last 5 drafts has come from teams not even making the tournament.

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You can read another teams message board without posting any content. I read several teams message boards but don't have an account/log in and have never once thought about posting. 

26 minutes ago, rico said:

Can't argue against anything there...but the NBA pays close attention to what a guy is doing overseas as well.  

The NBA does, but the public at large doesn't.  Think of all the free pub that Zion got by staying in the U.S.  It helped expand his brand.  I do not think that happens if he is playing overseas.  He would get over here and have a chance to build a name but he already entered the league with the big media following.  That doesn't happen if he is playing for some town in France and dunking over Jean Luc.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Even if your teams don't do well in college it does not hurt your recognition. Te top pick in 2 out of the last 5 drafts has come from teams not even making the tournament.

I'm not talking about draft position, I'm talking about endorsements and sponsorship dollars. There is a branding and endorsement value that comes with playing a season in the NCAA that you don't get by spending the year overseas. 

1 hour ago, rico said:

Yes, but I meant more endorsements and sponsorship dollars. You can get drafted from anywhere, but you get endorsement money by having name recognition and a personal brand. It's most likely case by case, but I'd guess the brand recognition that comes with playing in the NCAA can often times repay itself in endorsements that exceed what you'd make playing overseas. 

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'm not talking about draft position, I'm talking about endorsements and sponsorship dollars. There is a branding and endorsement value that comes with playing a season in the NCAA that you don't get by spending the year overseas. 

I agree with that

Archived