A Few Updates

CoachSS

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

A few updates during this slow time...

- Charles Minlend Jr: There wasn't any real, clear evidence Indiana was recruiting him. It was my understanding some texts and FaceTime's had occurred but certainly no offer. I think his "final" list was more of an update as opposed to the schools super serious about him. Having read an in-depth report about him from someone else, it was apparent (I was swayed) that he couldn't really help Indiana whatsoever. 

- Aminu Mohammed: I watched a lot of his video lately. I have never seen him live. Reminds me a lot of Armaan Franklin honestly. Perhaps a bit better polished on the offensive end. I think he can be groomed to be a pretty high-level defender, in time. It will be an interesting recruitment to follow as it's known that there are a few influences involved. It's far from your standard player-Mom-Dad recruitment. It will be interesting to follow. Not many kids are leaving the east coast for a private school in Missouri. Indiana is really high on him. We'll see where that all goes in time. 

- Blake Wesley: I was understood that this recruitment, in terms of Indiana, ended a while ago. Sad. Really, really, really high on him. 

- Luke Goode: Without coming off as cheesy or pun, he wasn't good enough. Indiana barely recruited him. The concern was how he impacts a game when his shot isn't falling. Personally, I watched four of his games (via stream) during the Peach Jam last summer. I came away really impressed with Caleb Furst's ability on defense. I didn't come away thinking very much about Goode. I really, really liked Nijel Pack though. Goode has really good shot form but I recall reading he was 32% (or thereabouts) during his high school season. Simply put, that just isn't good. I think there's a reason that many of the Big Ten teams in the area (the good programs, at least) have backed away. 

- Trey Kaufman: Two message boards (here + Peegs) have the benefit of having a poster who coached Kaufman before. He can add more to this. Essentially, there are 3-4 people involved in his life (to varying degrees of importance) who believe Logan Duncomb's commitment further helps IU's chances. There's another guy who thinks it doesn't help. Whatever. We'll see what happens. 

- Logan Duncomb: Once he gets to college and has the everyday work of a competitive strength and conditioning program, he can be a real, real force down low. I fully expect his defense to always be ahead of his offense just based on where his game is. But, he can certainly develop into a really, really good player. 

- Schedule: I'm of the belief IU is going to Virginia or Miami in the ACC/ B1G. That is on top of 3 Maui games, Butler in Indy. The non-conference schedule will be challenging. There seems to be conflicting information over the Gavvitt Games. A very tough non-conference is potentially ahead if they keep winning in Maui (should basketball ever return). 

- Transfers: I'm super glad that IU is building their program in a more organic way. Through cultivating relationships with HS players, HS coaches and AAU coaches. Those on Twitter should go through Jeff Goodman's timeline yesterday. He had some staggering statistics about how little grad transfers who transfer "up" have any impact. I am still on the side of the fence IU will have a transfer out of the program. If that does occur, I'm still sure they won't add anyone else. I think their roster is largely set with Lander joining. 

Go IU. 

As always thank you very much for your contributions and specifically information on Goode/TK.

48 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

- Charles Minlend Jr: There wasn't any real, clear evidence Indiana was recruiting him. It was my understanding some texts and FaceTime's had occurred but certainly no offer. I think his "final" list was more of an update as opposed to the schools super serious about him. Having read an in-depth report about him from someone else, it was apparent (I was swayed) that he couldn't really help Indiana whatsoever. 

- Aminu Mohammed: I watched a lot of his video lately. I have never seen him live. Reminds me a lot of Armaan Franklin honestly. Perhaps a bit better polished on the offensive end. I think he can be groomed to be a pretty high-level defender, in time. It will be an interesting recruitment to follow as it's known that there are a few influences involved. It's far from your standard player-Mom-Dad recruitment. It will be interesting to follow. Not many kids are leaving the east coast for a private school in Missouri. Indiana is really high on him. We'll see where that all goes in time. 

- Blake Wesley: I was understood that this recruitment, in terms of Indiana, ended a while ago. Sad. Really, really, really high on him. 

- Luke Goode: Without coming off as cheesy or pun, he wasn't good enough. Indiana barely recruited him. The concern was how he impacts a game when his shot isn't falling. Personally, I watched four of his games (via stream) during the Peach Jam last summer. I came away really impressed with Caleb Furst's ability on defense. I didn't come away thinking very much about Goode. I really, really liked Nijel Pack though. Goode has really good shot form but I recall reading he was 32% (or thereabouts) during his high school season. Simply put, that just isn't good. I think there's a reason that many of the Big Ten teams in the area (the good programs, at least) have backed away. 

- Trey Kaufman: Two message boards (here + Peegs) have the benefit of having a poster who coached Kaufman before. He can add more to this. Essentially, there are 3-4 people involved in his life (to varying degrees of importance) who believe Logan Duncomb's commitment further helps IU's chances. There's another guy who thinks it doesn't help. Whatever. We'll see what happens. 

- Logan Duncomb: Once he gets to college and has the everyday work of a competitive strength and conditioning program, he can be a real, real force down low. I fully expect his defense to always be ahead of his offense just based on where his game is. But, he can certainly develop into a really, really good player. 

- Schedule: I'm of the belief IU is going to Virginia or Miami in the ACC/ B1G. That is on top of 3 Maui games, Butler in Indy. The non-conference schedule will be challenging. There seems to be conflicting information over the Gavvitt Games. A very tough non-conference is potentially ahead if they keep winning in Maui (should basketball ever return). 

- Transfers: I'm super glad that IU is building their program in a more organic way. Through cultivating relationships with HS players, HS coaches and AAU coaches. Those on Twitter should go through Jeff Goodman's timeline yesterday. He had some staggering statistics about how little grad transfers who transfer "up" have any impact. I am still on the side of the fence IU will have a transfer out of the program. If that does occur, I'm still sure they won't add anyone else. I think their roster is largely set with Lander joining. 

Go IU. 

Do you think it helps IU that Aminu wanted to get away from the big city life? Bloomington might feel more at home?

5 minutes ago, gnet550 said:

Do you think it helps IU that Aminu wanted to get away from the big city life? Bloomington might feel more at home?

Aminu didn't want to get away from big city life.  His brother went to play college ball in Missouri and he followed him out there.  I think what it shows is that he isn't tied to a particular geography, and his recruiting interests reflect that.

58 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

Go IU. 

Thank you for the updates. Have a great spring and summer.

18 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Aminu didn't want to get away from big city life.  His brother went to play college ball in Missouri and he followed him out there.  I think what it shows is that he isn't tied to a particular geography, and his recruiting interests reflect that.

How do you feel about this recruitment? On par with Trey or a little below in chances?

24 minutes ago, gnet550 said:

Aminu is from overseas. He played AAU ball out of Washington DC but is in Missouri like TDH said to be near his brother. I believe his guardian Will have a big say in steering him but I see no reason regionality will affect his recruitment. I see it coming down to us, Maryland, and UL. Hopefully we show him enough to feel comfortable playing here. I think he is a good fit for the team. We don’t have a guy of his caliber that can get his own shot. 

Archived