A Few Updates

CoachSS

37 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Ok, Mile...between your challenge and the lack of sports, here I am.  24/7 365 Indiana basketball junkie.  Looking forward to contributing, not just lurking!

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Mike said:

Glad  Damezi

is staying!!

I REALLY hope the game slows down for him so he can get back to just playing rather than having to think about it first.  Hustle and effort have never been an issue with DA n i think he could be a real pillar of the culture CAM is wanting for his team.

Wow with the quotes from Archie about having two openings etc and his playing time I thought it was a sure thing. I am pleasantly surprised. Hope he gets his rhythm back and finds his confidence and comes out blazing next year. We need the shooting. Never want to lose upper class man. Love to see him and Hunter split the minutes at the 3 all year. 

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan0302 said:

Fantastic.  With that news, I think IU is done for 2020 assuming Lander reclassifies.

No idea what Archie was thinking when he said he had two scholarships to fill.  Things must have changed after he made that statement.

1 hour ago, labeck81 said:

Ok, Mile...between your challenge and the lack of sports, here I am.  24/7 365 Indiana basketball junkie.  Looking forward to contributing, not just lurking!

Hey. Hey.  Look at you.  A very warm welcome to posting on Hoosier Sports Nation. Looking very much to your contributions.  Welcome. Welcome. Welcome !

40 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Wait I though thought lander needed Anderson to leave to reclassify. That’s not the case?

No.  If no one leaves, Lander would be the 13th scholarship.  The fact that IU was acting like they were still in the market for a 2020 made me think someone else was leaving.  Maybe it was simply because the staff was unsure about Lander reclassifying.

1 hour ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Hate to be the negative Nancy here, and I’ll pre-face this saying that I love AF as a four year guy, but I hope to God Aminu has a bigger impact than that. Am I the only one confused by that comparison?

I thought the same thing as I thought this undersold Aminu. However,  we all have our own player evaluations and not saying mine is any better. If I were to guess, I'd think the comparison is based mainly on similar heights, their positional versatility and defensive intensity.

Just my opinion, but I think Aminu is in a completely different universe as a prospect.. He's 6'5 with a 7'0 wingspan and is a top level athlete. I think he has a pretty distinct advantage with his scoring ability (dribble drive game..super efficient), physicality, and rebounding is also on another level. Armaan probably has an advantage w/ his court vision / passing and perimeter shot (AF shot 35% senior year, AM shot 33% junior year).

The rebounding thing is real exciting IMO. While his HS regular season rebounding stats are inflated, he was his AAU squad's top rebounder @ 8.5/gm even with Mark Williams (Top 50 7'0 Duke commit) on the squad. He showed up real well against good competition including some boys we all recognize on Indy Heat (https://www.d1circuit.com/game/show/25151178?subseason=599727). 

14 hours ago, CoachSS said:

A few updates during this slow time...

- Charles Minlend Jr: There wasn't any real, clear evidence Indiana was recruiting him. It was my understanding some texts and FaceTime's had occurred but certainly no offer. I think his "final" list was more of an update as opposed to the schools super serious about him. Having read an in-depth report about him from someone else, it was apparent (I was swayed) that he couldn't really help Indiana whatsoever. 

- Aminu Mohammed: I watched a lot of his video lately. I have never seen him live. Reminds me a lot of Armaan Franklin honestly. Perhaps a bit better polished on the offensive end. I think he can be groomed to be a pretty high-level defender, in time. It will be an interesting recruitment to follow as it's known that there are a few influences involved. It's far from your standard player-Mom-Dad recruitment. It will be interesting to follow. Not many kids are leaving the east coast for a private school in Missouri. Indiana is really high on him. We'll see where that all goes in time. 

- Blake Wesley: I was understood that this recruitment, in terms of Indiana, ended a while ago. Sad. Really, really, really high on him. 

- Luke Goode: Without coming off as cheesy or pun, he wasn't good enough. Indiana barely recruited him. The concern was how he impacts a game when his shot isn't falling. Personally, I watched four of his games (via stream) during the Peach Jam last summer. I came away really impressed with Caleb Furst's ability on defense. I didn't come away thinking very much about Goode. I really, really liked Nijel Pack though. Goode has really good shot form but I recall reading he was 32% (or thereabouts) during his high school season. Simply put, that just isn't good. I think there's a reason that many of the Big Ten teams in the area (the good programs, at least) have backed away. 

- Trey Kaufman: Two message boards (here + Peegs) have the benefit of having a poster who coached Kaufman before. He can add more to this. Essentially, there are 3-4 people involved in his life (to varying degrees of importance) who believe Logan Duncomb's commitment further helps IU's chances. There's another guy who thinks it doesn't help. Whatever. We'll see what happens. 

- Logan Duncomb: Once he gets to college and has the everyday work of a competitive strength and conditioning program, he can be a real, real force down low. I fully expect his defense to always be ahead of his offense just based on where his game is. But, he can certainly develop into a really, really good player. 

- Schedule: I'm of the belief IU is going to Virginia or Miami in the ACC/ B1G. That is on top of 3 Maui games, Butler in Indy. The non-conference schedule will be challenging. There seems to be conflicting information over the Gavvitt Games. A very tough non-conference is potentially ahead if they keep winning in Maui (should basketball ever return). 

- Transfers: I'm super glad that IU is building their program in a more organic way. Through cultivating relationships with HS players, HS coaches and AAU coaches. Those on Twitter should go through Jeff Goodman's timeline yesterday. He had some staggering statistics about how little grad transfers who transfer "up" have any impact. I am still on the side of the fence IU will have a transfer out of the program. If that does occur, I'm still sure they won't add anyone else. I think their roster is largely set with Lander joining. 

Go IU. 

Great insight Coach, as always!  I want to personally touch base on your Mohammed comments.  I've watched video of him too and as much as I love Franklin's game, Mohammed seems a yr or two ahead!  Mohammed just looks like a Zion/Lebron clone at his position at such a young age and I'm quite surprised for the lack of National attention?  I've watched film on AF and I've seen film on Mohammed, NO Comparison in my eyes but I trust the ones that know!  I see not only dominance off the dribble but a great presence on the Defensive end that will manhandle not only his guy but any other that wishes to drive the paint!  That is only my eye and hope this staff sees the same dream.

7 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

Great insight Coach, as always!  I want to personally touch base on your Mohammed comments.  I've watched video of him too and as much as I love Franklin's game, Mohammed seems a yr or two ahead!  Mohammed just looks like a Zion/Lebron clone at his position at such a young age and I'm quite surprised for the lack of National attention?  I've watched film on AF and I've seen film on Mohammed, NO Comparison in my eyes but I trust the ones that know!  I see not only dominance off the dribble but a great presence on the Defensive end that will manhandle not only his guy but any other that wishes to drive the paint!  That is only my eye and hope this staff sees the same dream.

You & I think alike - posted something damn near identical a couple seconds before lol. His physicality is real. Watching how he gets downhill fast & isn’t afraid of contact / plays through it, he’s gonna be a bear to keep off the FT line as he matures

1 minute ago, IUBBx5Banners said:

You & I think alike lol. His physicality is real. Watching how he gets downhill fast & isn’t afraid of contact / plays through it, he’s gonna be a bear to keep off the FT line as he matures

Yes and to the doubters I ask this.  What makes Zion so special?  What made Lebron so special?  Both had the body (girth) early to dominate their opponents & I see the same with this kid, Mohammed.  It's kind of like in Jr High where the tall kid is the best player until everyone else catches up to his height and no difference here!  This kid will bully the B10 from ground zero no doubts.

2 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Hate to be the negative Nancy here, and I’ll pre-face this by saying that I love AF as a four year guy, but I hope to God Aminu has a bigger impact than that. Am I the only one confused by that comparison?

I love AF and what he will give us as a Soph-Sr but his game will never compare to what AM could bring to our program as a Fr!  It may just be me but I see AM as a B10 player of the yr if not National Player of the Yr early on.  Hope we dont sell this recruitment short.

10 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

Yes and to the doubters I ask this.  What makes Zion so special?  What made Lebron so special?  Both had the body (girth) early to dominate their opponents & I see the same with this kid, Mohammed.  It's kind of like in Jr High where the tall kid is the best player until everyone else catches up to his height and no difference here!  This kid will bully the B10 from ground zero no doubts.

Lol his guardian had been posting some cool pics from his HS season and this one came to mind after reading that

F6EDF9FC-B1F2-4A86-A7E6-992C810E1D0A.jpeg

6 hours ago, dgambill said:

Wow with the quotes from Archie about having two openings etc and his playing time I thought it was a sure thing. I am pleasantly surprised. Hope he gets his rhythm back and finds his confidence and comes out blazing next year. We need the shooting. Never want to lose upper class man. Love to see him and Hunter split the minutes at the 3 all year. 

He never was a B10 player as a Fr-So but hoping he can overcome the lost confidence as an Upperclassman!!!  I must admit that even know I'm from the 574, I was very skeptical of his game at this level at least as an underclassman & it showed to be true.  I can see great things ahead IF he has a strong mind to forget the early woes and can concentrate only on the future!  His Jr Season will be the tell all of his college career and I'm hoping for the best but there were flaws in his game that should have been flagged from the beginning.  Please prove me wrong DA!!!

13 hours ago, Hoosierfan0302 said:

If that doesn't speak volumes as to what a tough-minded kid Damezi is, I don't know what does...

It's got to be difficult to go from being "the man" in high school to being a support player and sometimes riding the bench in college.

And I'm sure that tough mindedness will carry through to the off season and preseason practice floor...

We're pulling for you, Damezi!

Archived