A Few Updates

CoachSS

7 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

Not at all what I am up to. 
I think Muhammad has a ways to go. I think Franklin was a lot more proven in HS. 

I can discuss later when not on phone and at a computer. 

Don’t think rankings and some highlight videos can trump some of the other factors that go into being a good player. Not saying you are or aren’t. Muhammad has a ways to go. 

Thanks, I misinterpreted what you were saying in the original post. 

Level of competition in high school where AF went is greater vs were Aminu is at perhaps? 

Sure Aminu is a 5 star recruit, would you anticipate he starts day one at SG should he choose IU?

I hadn't watched any videos, so just going off of what so called national experts are saying about Aminu.  They don't know AF as well as you do or others that bring great intel to the board IMO. 

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I certainly want Aminu to join the Hoosiers. I think that goes without saying for all. I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth but Armaan to me is vastly underrated and I think we'll see how good he is over the next 2 seasons. Size is there, shot for most part...and he's got a moxy or whatever you want to call that about him. Not afraid of the moment because he believes in himself so much. 

However you can't underestimate the importance of landing a 5 star out of state recruit for Archie.

9 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

- There was some chatter about someone in the inner circle who didn't want to see him playing inside of the "IU Fishbowl". Take that for what its worth but it seems as if it were communicated this past season that it maybe wouldn't be an option. That said, I don't think IU has stopped recruiting him. But, it would seem the resources and time to put in aren't what they were. 

I don't know about that. I don't know if he necessarily wanted to leave the east coast or it was relayed to him it was the best idea. 

Too early to know. 

As for Aminu: 

- I'm always cautious of a player who has more people in his circle than need be. I think this can parlay itself into a lot of unnecessary noise. 

- His HS team last year overpowered weak competition. They went against one, legit high school team last year when his Greenwood team went to play Paul VI (from DC) in the Tournament of Champions. Aminu was terrific in that he had 31 & 16 but he had 11 turnovers. Kids that are used to having the ball constantly that come into a college program where they are surrounded by other talented players (and older players) have a tendency to need time to find a groove. 

- He has the look of a big-time slasher. That part of his game is a real strength. And, one that I really like. 

- His biggest "needs" as he gets into college are defense and shooting. He'll be given time, wherever he goes, to work on this. Not a single college coach can play a guard or wing that can't defend or shoot. Being "just a driver" isn't enough. That said, his athleticism and wingspan lead me to believe he can be taught how to play defense very quickly, within the confines of a college program. And his shooting, I'm sure, can develop over time. Especially if he harbors NBA dreams. Not a single NBA guy at 6'5 and 6'6 is a non-threat from "3". Just isn't how the game is anymore. 

Two days ago, Indiana got into touch with a different prospect that I think I'm a little more excited for / into. 

His name is Nate Johnson. His 247 profile is here: https://247sports.com/Player/Nate-Johnson-46097224/

His statistics from last season are here: http://gmcsports.com/bkPlayerStats.aspx?player=544810

His highlight video is here: https://www.hudl.com/video/3/10415844/5e7a9b9aa6783d0d10a1df5a

And, some scouting notes from one of his coaches is written below:

"6'3 200 lb athletic freak. I am a big fan of his upside. He can defend. Passes it well. Big 10 body already. Plays for a great HS coach. (Against a tough schedule). He's right outside the top 150 according to Snow. He would have blown up on the AAU circuit. I think he should be in the Big 10. You just don't see kids built like him walking into college. Wait until he gets into a college lifting program... yeesh." 

A kid like this, a bit under the radar against top competition, who has that kind of body, is someone I'd love to see to piggyback behind the Franklin's, Galloway's and Leal's. 

Do you think an offer is presented to Nate Johnson?

35 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

Not without seeing him live which I don't think they've done. Even if they see him, maybe there is something they do or don't like. So impossible to guess. I just find him to be a really interesting prospect on, for the most part, limited information. 

Seems odd that he's had such minimal interest from bigger schools. His size and athleticism alone would be enough to catch many D1 schools attention. Appears to have decent handles and good form on his shot

1 hour ago, CoachSS said:

- There was some chatter about someone in the inner circle who didn't want to see him playing inside of the "IU Fishbowl". Take that for what its worth but it seems as if it were communicated this past season that it maybe wouldn't be an option. That said, I don't think IU has stopped recruiting him. But, it would seem the resources and time to put in aren't what they were. 

I don't know about that. I don't know if he necessarily wanted to leave the east coast or it was relayed to him it was the best idea. 

Too early to know. 

As for Aminu: 

- I'm always cautious of a player who has more people in his circle than need be. I think this can parlay itself into a lot of unnecessary noise. 

- His HS team last year overpowered weak competition. They went against one, legit high school team last year when his Greenwood team went to play Paul VI (from DC) in the Tournament of Champions. Aminu was terrific in that he had 31 & 16 but he had 11 turnovers. Kids that are used to having the ball constantly that come into a college program where they are surrounded by other talented players (and older players) have a tendency to need time to find a groove. 

- He has the look of a big-time slasher. That part of his game is a real strength. And, one that I really like. 

- His biggest "needs" as he gets into college are defense and shooting. He'll be given time, wherever he goes, to work on this. Not a single college coach can play a guard or wing that can't defend or shoot. Being "just a driver" isn't enough. That said, his athleticism and wingspan lead me to believe he can be taught how to play defense very quickly, within the confines of a college program. And his shooting, I'm sure, can develop over time. Especially if he harbors NBA dreams. Not a single NBA guy at 6'5 and 6'6 is a non-threat from "3". Just isn't how the game is anymore. 

Two days ago, Indiana got into touch with a different prospect that I think I'm a little more excited for / into. 

His name is Nate Johnson. His 247 profile is here: https://247sports.com/Player/Nate-Johnson-46097224/

His statistics from last season are here: http://gmcsports.com/bkPlayerStats.aspx?player=544810

His highlight video is here: https://www.hudl.com/video/3/10415844/5e7a9b9aa6783d0d10a1df5a

And, some scouting notes from one of his coaches is written below:

"6'3 200 lb athletic freak. I am a big fan of his upside. He can defend. Passes it well. Big 10 body already. Plays for a great HS coach. (Against a tough schedule). He's right outside the top 150 according to Snow. He would have blown up on the AAU circuit. I think he should be in the Big 10. You just don't see kids built like him walking into college. Wait until he gets into a college lifting program... yeesh." 

A kid like this, a bit under the radar against top competition, who has that kind of body, is someone I'd love to see to piggyback behind the Franklin's, Galloway's and Leal's. 

Thanks for your time and answers coach!

36 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

So you think an unranked guard whose only offers are from Kent State, Ohio, and Miami of Ohio is better than the 14th-ranked player in the country who’s been one of the staff’s main priorities and received offers from IU, Maryland, Louisville, Florida, Seton Hall, and Kansas State?

4 minutes ago, JaybobHoosier said:

Thanks CoachSS, appreciate your comments and insight. 2021 could be a huge class for IU (seems like it should).

So many good people on Hoosier Sports Nation.  Sam is one among many. He does not have to share with us. Always thankful when he does. Stay safe Justin.

59 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

As for Aminu: 

In what ways was Armaan more proven? Armaan definitely had a standout HS career and it's clear Aminu is playing down in competition. However, I don't think that matters considering how well Aminu played in the Nike summer league against stiff competition. Plus, these 2021 kids still have a year or more left.

My $0.02, but I was impressed with some of his on-ball D in some unedited game clips I found on YT. It's hard to tell how well he plays team defense at the moment, but I have a pretty strong feeling that an elite rebounding wing with a 7'0 wingspan will fit really nicely on the outside of Archie's pack-line scheme.  He also appeared to play more of an off-ball role too which makes me less worried about offensive fit or deference. 

I don't know the details of his recruiting dynamics, but he's got a cool backstory (for anyone curious, check out this article: https://www.news-leader.com/story/sports/high-school/2019/01/02/msu-basketball-recruit-5-star-aminu-mohammed/2401024002/). 

Plus, I'd love to build on IU's legacy of players of Nigerian descent (Vic, OG, now Aminu). Pretty good track record so far!

1 hour ago, CoachSS said:

Not without seeing him live which I don't think they've done. Even if they see him, maybe there is something they do or don't like. So impossible to guess. I just find him to be a really interesting prospect on, for the most part, limited information. 

Nate Johnson was supposed to be part of an Ohio AAU contingent (Midwest Basketball Club) that came to the Maryland game but he couldn't make it because he had practice.  That's the same group that included Shawn Phillips that IU just offered.  Staff doing a nice job in Ohio.

15 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

Yes. It was one of the MBC coaches who told me about him.

Ramey, who runs the program, is a wonderful dude who totally has his $h!t together. He has been, I believe, talking up Johnson. 

The coach I spoke with joined those guys on their IU visit. With Holtmann faltering in-state, it could be an opening for Archie to extend IU's borders into Dayton, Cincinnati. The more, the merrier. 

Folks. I know I have said it before. But bears repeating again. We are honored to have both Sam Story (CoachSS)  and Mike Schumann(The Daily Hoosier)   willing to share information as members of Hoosier Sports Nation.  No finer example than this recent exchange between Sam and Mike. 

HSN.  You are likely not to find out what you just read on any other IU fan board.   And just think.  It's all free intel.

Just now, milehiiu said:

Folks. I know I have said it before. But bears repeating again. We are honored to have both Sam Story and Mike Schumann  willing to share information as members of Hoosier Sports Nation.  No finer example than this recent exchange between Sam and Mike. 

HSN.  You are likely not to find out what you just read on any other IU fan board.   And just think.  It's all free intel.

Sam brings us good insight. People salivate when he posts. Of course, when we do not like what he says to say then he sucks.  Lol

Mike has brought so much to HSN. Not just his writing, but he ie engaged in the community. No ego.

Maybe I am biased, but I enjoy Mike's articles as much as anybody currently writing about IU. I never feel cheated when I click one of his articles. Always worth the time.

We got a good thing in our little HSN world. These two add a ton.

Now if we can figure out how to keep @5fouls off the boards, we may be darn near perfect.

8 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Sam brings us good insight. People salivate when he posts. Of course, when we do not like what he says to say then he sucks.  Lol

Mike has brought so much to HSN. Not just his writing, but he ie engaged in the community. No ego.

Maybe I am biased, but I enjoy Mike's articles as much as anybody currently writing about IU. I never feel cheated when I click one of his articles. Always worth the time.

Now if we can figure out how to keep @5fouls off the boards, we may be darn near perfect.

Yeah. I hope Hoosier Sports Nation continues to support The Daily Hoosier.  Not just what Mike shares with us on HSN.  He offers much on his site. Go there on a daily basis. And don't forget about his You Tube channel.

Mike is not just about IUBB.  But IU.  Some recent examples:

The Daily Hoosier – Daily IU Athletics News, Analysis, Opinion and History

Sam has been with us for a long time. Even before HSN 3.0.  Continue to check his twitter account.  Always something to learn there as well. 

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

Yeah. I hope Hoosier Sports Nation continues to support The Daily Hoosier.  Not just what Mike shares with us on HSN.  He offers much on his site. Go there on a daily basis. And don't forget about his You Tube channel.

Sam has been with us for a long time. Even before HSN 3.0.  Continue to check his twitter account.  Always something to learn there as well. 

So, you are agreeing we need to get rid of 5fouls! 

That's what I read from your response.  😁

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

So you think an unranked guard whose only offers are from Kent State, Ohio, and Miami of Ohio is better than the 14th-ranked player in the country who’s been one of the staff’s main priorities and received offers from IU, Maryland, Louisville, Florida, Seton Hall, and Kansas State?

Don't get me wrong, I'm pulling for IU to land Aminu and would love for it to happen. I do think IU needs some more "next level" talent to really become a consistent contender. But, what I think @CoachSS is getting to, is would you rather have most likely 1 year of a guy like Aminu who is going to come in expecting certain things in terms of minutes and shots, while also not being a finished product and have some rawness to his game, and potentially disrupting some things and taking time away from guys like Franklin, Leal, Geronimo and Galloway, or would you rather have a steady pipeline of guys like the latter?

There are a lot of people that are really, really high on the potential of Franklin and the 2020 guards/wings and feel that they can provide much of what Aminu would bring as a freshmen, and  they'd be providing it as more experienced players that are most likely more invested in the long term health of the program. Most of those guys should be at IU 3-4 years. 

I'm not saying I buy all of the above. It would certainly take Franklin and the 2020 guys to outhit their rankings for the most part, but we've also seen that work for lots of other programs that play the more experienced player type of game as opposed to the one and done game. Not to make this about rankings, but I personally would like to see IU consistently recruiting in the 25-80 range. We seem to be feast or famine with either top 20 or 100-150+. 

2 hours ago, ephul said:

Seems odd that he's had such minimal interest from bigger schools. His size and athleticism alone would be enough to catch many D1 schools attention. Appears to have decent handles and good form on his shot

Sometimes those schools do their due diligence and if they don’t feel like the kid is likely to play far from home, they might invest their time and resources elsewhere. Doesn’t always mean they have no interest. 

2 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

As always you guys are way too kind.  I appreciate the sentiments more than you guys will ever know.

People should definitely give CoachSS a follow on Twitter.  He is a genuinely good dude and he shares more thoughts there as well.

Archived