A Few Updates

CoachSS

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

Sam brings us good insight. People salivate when he posts. Of course, when we do not like what he says to say then he sucks.  Lol

Mike has brought so much to HSN. Not just his writing, but he ie engaged in the community. No ego.

Maybe I am biased, but I enjoy Mike's articles as much as anybody currently writing about IU. I never feel cheated when I click one of his articles. Always worth the time.

We got a good thing in our little HSN world. These two add a ton.

Now if we can figure out how to keep @5fouls off the boards, we may be darn near perfect.

I’ll piggyback off that...his daily newsletter is a must. Please everyone sign up. I get it in my email every evening and a quick click and I have all the IU info I could ever want and it’s well organized and written with minimal ads. https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/sign-up/

Cant say enough positives! Thank you!

6 hours ago, BGleas said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm pulling for IU to land Aminu and would love for it to happen. I do think IU needs some more "next level" talent to really become a consistent contender. But, what I think @CoachSS is getting to, is would you rather have most likely 1 year of a guy like Aminu who is going to come in expecting certain things in terms of minutes and shots, while also not being a finished product and have some rawness to his game, and potentially disrupting some things and taking time away from guys like Franklin, Leal, Geronimo and Galloway, or would you rather have a steady pipeline of guys like the latter?

There are a lot of people that are really, really high on the potential of Franklin and the 2020 guards/wings and feel that they can provide much of what Aminu would bring as a freshmen, and  they'd be providing it as more experienced players that are most likely more invested in the long term health of the program. Most of those guys should be at IU 3-4 years. 

I'm not saying I buy all of the above. It would certainly take Franklin and the 2020 guys to outhit their rankings for the most part, but we've also seen that work for lots of other programs that play the more experienced player type of game as opposed to the one and done game. Not to make this about rankings, but I personally would like to see IU consistently recruiting in the 25-80 range. We seem to be feast or famine with either top 20 or 100-150+. 

Outside what we currently have on the roster I still see a need for a shot maker (3pt) unless Damezi steps up, another elite post presence, and a guy that can create his own shot. I love what Leal, Galloway, Armaan, Rob and company bring us and I have high hopes for Hunter and Geronimo to bring some much needed athleticism and scoring but Aminu seems to be that type of kid that can take his man one on one and get to the rim or get a quality shot even when the offense gets stagnant. Also seems to fit the high ball hand off offense we run. Outside of Lander and Trayce...we just don’t have enough of the elite playmaker ability. They can create offense...I think the others are really good but will more beneficiaries on that end...still think more creators are needed. Just my view.

7 hours ago, hoosierfan34 said:

Sometimes those schools do their due diligence and if they don’t feel like the kid is likely to play far from home, they might invest their time and resources elsewhere. Doesn’t always mean they have no interest. 

A good player wanting to play as high D1 as possible will attract bigger schools. Where's Xavier, Cincinnati, etc?

4 minutes ago, ephul said:

A good player wanting to play as high D1 as possible will attract bigger schools. Where's Xavier, Cincinnati, etc?

Well, Xavier is one of the 4 schools recruiting him the hardest, so not sure the meaning of your question. 

Trey has attracted great programs including UNC, Virginia, Michigan, Kentucky, etc. All I’m saying is, in the process of programs recruiting a player, during the initial relationship-building stage they learn things about a player and have connections/sources that might give them insight into whether that kid will go from home to play college basketball. Doesn’t mean they’re not interested. Just means if they’re smart about it, they’ll focus on other recruits more who they think they can reasonably get. 

4 minutes ago, hoosierfan34 said:

Well, Xavier is one of the 4 schools recruiting him the hardest, so not sure the meaning of your question. 

Trey has attracted great programs including UNC, Virginia, Michigan, Kentucky, etc. All I’m saying is, in the process of programs recruiting a player, during the initial relationship-building stage they learn things about a player and have connections/sources that might give them insight into whether that kid will go from home to play college basketball. Doesn’t mean they’re not interested. Just means if they’re smart about it, they’ll focus on other recruits more who they think they can reasonably get. 

I may be wrong, but I think his post is in reference to another player.  Nate Johnson, I believe, who was mentioned on the previous page in the thread.  

16 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

I can’t answer that. I can only pass along what their staffs and others have hinted. And that is that this is a player they were eager to watch. That’s all. 

I was directing my response to someone who quoted me... I'm with you, looks like an intriguing player!

12 hours ago, BGleas said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm pulling for IU to land Aminu and would love for it to happen. I do think IU needs some more "next level" talent to really become a consistent contender. But, what I think @CoachSS is getting to, is would you rather have most likely 1 year of a guy like Aminu who is going to come in expecting certain things in terms of minutes and shots, while also not being a finished product and have some rawness to his game, and potentially disrupting some things and taking time away from guys like Franklin, Leal, Geronimo and Galloway, or would you rather have a steady pipeline of guys like the latter?

There are a lot of people that are really, really high on the potential of Franklin and the 2020 guards/wings and feel that they can provide much of what Aminu would bring as a freshmen, and  they'd be providing it as more experienced players that are most likely more invested in the long term health of the program. Most of those guys should be at IU 3-4 years. 

I'm not saying I buy all of the above. It would certainly take Franklin and the 2020 guys to outhit their rankings for the most part, but we've also seen that work for lots of other programs that play the more experienced player type of game as opposed to the one and done game. Not to make this about rankings, but I personally would like to see IU consistently recruiting in the 25-80 range. We seem to be feast or famine with either top 20 or 100-150+. 

We’re on the same page.  Over the last 3-4 years, we’ve seen what the team looks like with 1 or 2 studs surrounded by pretty much only guys in the 80-150 range... Results have been so-so.  With the exception of Romeo and TJD, the hype/expectations for basically every recruit in our last four recruiting classes (2016-2019) have far outweighed their actual production up to this point.  Have to start landing more guys in that 25-50 range to go along with the top 25 guys Archie’s already been able to get to raise the program’s ceiling.

On 4/16/2020 at 9:51 AM, CoachSS said:

Not without seeing him live which I don't think they've done. Even if they see him, maybe there is something they do or don't like. So impossible to guess. I just find him to be a really interesting prospect on, for the most part, limited information. 

Nate Johnson is good, player of the year  in conference as a junior.  I have seen him a few times since I work at Princeton and he plays in a tough GMC conference, past high level players from GMC Darius Beazley, Vince Edwards, Jordan Seibert, Tegray Scales, kyle schwarber and some guy named Jerry Lucas if we want to go way back and thats a short list. 

On 4/16/2020 at 7:43 PM, dgambill said:

I’ll piggyback off that...his daily newsletter is a must. Please everyone sign up. I get it in my email every evening and a quick click and I have all the IU info I could ever want and it’s well organized and written with minimal ads. https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/sign-up/

Cant say enough positives! Thank you!

Thank you.  I really appreciate that!

On 4/16/2020 at 7:37 AM, dwtaylor1055 said:

I think @CoachSS is saying AF can become what Aminu is by year 3 or year 4, whereas Aminu is ahead of AF at his time. 

No doubt about it, I love what AF brought as a FR and I pray he has a Vic Dipo work ethic to take his game to the Elite Level by his Jr/Sr eligibility!  I'm actually hoping to see some of this Elite status as early as his SOPH season if we have one!

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

Odd. He shot 50% from three, but looks like he took less than 1 per game.

Very explosive and effortless when attacking.

Looks like a kid who can overpower opponents and finish at the rim. Very efficient too. 266 shot attempts and 160 FT attempts. Probably a lot of and 1s. Has a nice stroke from distance, but coaches probably said if you can make layups and get fouled don't jack 3s, even though you can hit them. Shows discipline.

8 hours ago, CoachSS said:

Re-post... 

Is this the backup plan to Aminu?  I like what I see but his presence will be in yr two compared to immediate presence from Aminu in yr 1.  I like that IU is in play for this type of player dominance, whether that means yr 1 or yr 2 is okay with me!!!

Seems to me Nate Johnson recruitment is gaining some momentum. When other places start writing more articles about a kid it's one of those signs or tells the interest is legit....from both sides. I'm just trying to figure out if kids like him are priority now because we don't to wait until December for other commits or what?? Anyway. Johnson is physically Big 10 ready from the start.

Archived