One of the greatest decsions in IUBB history ?

It was for me.  VJ drove me crazy with his desire to penetrate into traffic, with men open.  This time I was saying " Nooooo. Not again !"  And then he stopped and found an open Wat. For one of IU's most historic shots .

The Shot to beat Kentucky featuring Verdell Jones III and Christian Watford 

Any other famous decisions for you that marked IUBB history ?

3 minutes ago, Shapopojoe said:

Keith Smart shooting the ball instead of Alford in 87....play was drawn up to get to Alford to nail that shot....Hands down

I would go with Daryl’s decision to pass out of the lane back to Keith instead of forcing the shot himself.

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

It was for me.  VJ drove me crazy with his desire to penetrate into traffic, with men open.  This time I was saying " Nooooo. Not again !"  And then he stopped and found an open Wat. For one of IU's most historic shots .

I remember it exactly the same way - I was so sure VJ would throw up a bad shot in traffic without even looking at his teammates. I was very happy to be wrong :)!

Ton to choose from. Individual plays and players. I think I'll choose 2 from the team concept.

Knight's decision to implement 3 guard lineup of Edwards, Jones, Hillman full time after rough start to 88-89 season. The second one sometimes confuses me why it doesn't get mentioned more. Again...Knight ran against UNLV in 87 Final 4. Whole world was thinking methodical IU vs run/gun UNLV. Knight and IU came out running and flipped the script leading to another title.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Ton to choose from. Individual plays and players. I think I'll choose 2 from the team concept.

Knight's decision to implement 3 guard lineup of Edwards, Jones, Hillman full time after rough start to 88-89 season. The second one sometimes confuses me why it doesn't get mentioned more. Again...Knight ran against UNLV in 87 Final 4. Whole world was thinking methodical IU vs run/gun UNLV. Knight and IU came out running and flipped the script leading to another title.

Yep. Coach Knight's decision to run with the Rebels, while everyone, including the pre-game analyst was saying, IU's only chance was to slow the game down.

For sure, one of the greatest decisions in IUBB history.

3 hours ago, Shapopojoe said:

Keith Smart shooting the ball instead of Alford in 87....play was drawn up to get to Alford to nail that shot....Hands down

Smart made more huge plays down the stretch of that game than I ever recall seeing an IU player make.  Maybe more than any player on any team.  Just play after play that was absolutely necessary for IU to win.

27 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Smart made more huge plays down the stretch of that game than I ever recall seeing an IU player make.  Maybe more than any player on any team.  Just play after play that was absolutely necessary for IU to win.

Well.There's another great decision.  Coach Knight benched Smart well into the game. As Coach  Knight wasn't happy with Keith's play up to that point. Yet, something told Coach Knight that Keith needed to be back in the game.  And the rest is history.

4 hours ago, Shapopojoe said:

Here's Coach Knight confirming the play was drawn up for Steve.  And goes onto say that in all his year's of coaching, he never saw a kid make a great decision as how Thomas was able to get the ball out to Smart :

Bob Knight's View of the 1987 Indiana vs. Syracuse Championship 

4 hours ago, milehiiu said:

That game brought IU back to relevancy. The fans had been starved for something good to happen and it sure did!

This what it will take for CAM to bring the Hoosiers back once again.....

Go Hoosiers

4 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Yep. Coach Knight's decision to run with the Rebels, while everyone, including the pre-game analyst was saying, IU's only chance was to slow the game down.

For sure, one of the greatest decisions in IUBB history.

That's why Billy Packer was announcing and not coaching.

CBK's decision to go against his own philosophy to recruit not one, but two JUCO players for the '87 season.

CBK's decision to listen to his assistants that Cheaney was the "best guy out there" and offering him after turning him down after watching him play the first time.

Archived