Should college coaches be required to give back part or all of their salary ?

There was one year, when Coach Knight gave his salary back to IU. Because he felt he did not earn it that year.

What prompted me to start this thread and ask the question.  Is what happened at the University of Colorado last Thursday. When the Colorado AD chose to give Tad Boyle his $105,000 bonus for making the NCAAT.  Even though we know the NCAAT was never played this year. Coach Boyle refused the bonus. Saying he felt it would not have been right to accept it.

So.  Hoosier Sports Nation.  What do you think ?

If McRobbie and the top IU administration take pay cuts then I'll agree the coaches should as well.  But it's not like coaching has stopped.   It's taken on a different form and may not be as strenuous but I don't think any of them are sitting at home watching their grass grow.  As for the Colorado AD; plain stupid and I applaud Boyle for refusing.

10 minutes ago, IU4Ever said:

If McRobbie and the top IU administration take pay cuts then I'll agree the coaches should as well.  But it's not like coaching has stopped.   It's taken on a different form and may not be as strenuous but I don't think any of them are sitting at home watching their grass grow.  As for the Colorado AD; plain stupid and I applaud Boyle for refusing.

Why is it stupid. Wasnt Boyle's fault the games were cancelled. If Colorado was a projected  tourney team then he earned it.

Just now, Indykev said:

Why is it stupid. Wasnt Boyle's fault the games were cancelled. If Colorado was a projected  tourney team then he earned it.

And, if Colorado feels Boyle is a coach that could leave at some point for another opportunity, it’s a goodwill gesture that builds trust and strengthens the relationship in a way that could make it more difficult for him to leave. 

12 minutes ago, IU4Ever said:

Respectfully agree to disagree on the Colorado AD.   Too many hourly workers aren't getting paid or have seen their pay reduced because of the virus and I simply think the Colorado AD was wrong and Boyle was right.

Or Instead of turning down the bonus. Boyle could have taken it, and given it to locals in need.   Just a thought.

I appreciate everyone's contributions to this point.  Very interesting discussion.  Please keep it going.

This situation comes down to communication and messaging. Those making financial decisions can't be tone deaf or oblivious to the very real problems and circumstances that are playing out for the many, many families and individuals around them.

On one hand, acknowledging Coach Boyle's *assumed* accomplishments is a nice gesture by the AD. I don't have a problem with that. Now, following through and giving him the money in this current climate wasn't the best move. The optics are just not right at this point in time, and Coach Boyle did the right thing by declining.

The AD (and Coach) would look great if they came together and offered a solution, much like Mile suggested above. Repurposing this money for those in need would be the right play, imho. Plus, that gives favor later... good graces and charitable moves (if made honestly) will be repaid tenfold later. 

14 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

This situation comes down to communication and messaging. Those making financial decisions can't be tone deaf or oblivious to the very real problems and circumstances that are playing out for the many, many families and individuals around them.

On one hand, acknowledging Coach Boyle's *assumed* accomplishments is a nice gesture by the AD. I don't have a problem with that. Now, following through and giving him the money in this current climate wasn't the best move. The optics are just not right at this point in time, and Coach Boyle did the right thing by declining.

The AD (and Coach) would look great if they came together and offered a solution, much like Mile suggested above. Repurposing this money for those in need would be the right play, imho. Plus, that gives favor later... good graces and charitable moves (if made honestly) will be repaid tenfold later. 

Thanks. And thanks for being a great HSN member.  The Federal government is giving $1,200 dollars.  Boyle was offered $105,000.  Not a knock on him. However he could have given out $1,000 to 105,000 people.  Just think of that !

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Thanks. And thanks for being a great HSN member.  The Federal government is giving $1,200 dollars.  Boyle was offered $105,000.  Not a knock on him. However he could have given out $1,000 to 105,000 people.  Just think of that !

Fuzzy math, Mile...😜

38 minutes ago, ButlerHoosier said:

Did you bribe the Prof Mile? Haha. 

That's funny.  The Prof was the head of the Economics Department at the time. First day, he announced that our grade would be split equally. Between questions at the end of each class, that he rattled off. And we would turn in our work book, with the answers,  on final day.  And a final consisting of 7 questions, of which we could choose 5 to answer.  Immediately after class, often missing meals, I would go into the library and spend hours just trying to figure out the questions, before attempting to come up with an answer.  75 of us started the class. Only 10 finished it. And of that only 5 of us passed. 

Pride of honor. When others, while eating lunch in the Union, I was asked when I would be taking statistics.... which was a requirement, I would tell them that I took it already. And who was my professor. They said, rarely does anyone pass his class.   And then they asked what grade I got.  They would not believe me when I told them I got an A.  But...it was true.

I don’t think it should be forced. I’m sure staffs are still working in every sport. Having to come up with ways of checking up on players and recruit via zoom meeting. 

Now if it were a case of we need you to take a pay cut or the program is getting cut that might be a different story 

19 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

I don’t think it should be forced. I’m sure staffs are still working in every sport. Having to come up with ways of checking up on players and recruit via zoom meeting. 

Now if it were a case of we need you to take a pay cut or the program is getting cut that might be a different story 

Loss of Spring sporting revenues are impacting University's all over the country. Arizona University is cutting salaries by 17%.  And Valparaiso University has furloughed 200 employees. Also a concern that out of state students may not return.... opting to stay closer to home.

Live Updates: Latest News on Coronavirus and Higher Education

The University of Louisville will implement "targeted" employee furloughs and cut pay for top administrators and faculty members by as much as 10%, among other steps to deal with the financial fallout of the coronavirus pandemic. The pay cuts apply to all U of L employees earning at least $100,000 annually and extend to the university's highest paid employees, men’s basketball coach Chris Mack and football coach Scott Satterfield. 

https://www.wdrb.com/in-depth/university-of-louisville-to-furlough-employees-cut-pay-for-top-administrators/article_0a2d196a-7a89-11ea-b1f6-bf4bb1b559b6.html

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Both Boeheim and Babers from Syracuse taking a cut. 

If I were a head coach and wanted to gift part of my salary, it would have to go to non-profits. Hard to swallow paying taxes on money you're not receiving. Giving to a non-profit at least provides an offset.

Boeheim is still a crook.  Seems like a little PR stunt by him.

Archived