IU/Michigan pre-game discussion thread

milehiiu

IU opens the B1G on the road, about a month earlier than normal, due to the Conference Tournament coming one week sooner that normal.

Game is Saturday, December 2.  Broadcast on CBS.  Game time is 12:30 EST. 

A national game.  I think the casual college BB fan who watched the IU/Duke game would have come away with the impression that the IU program is still Blue Blood, if not elite.  And would likely tune in to the Michigan game, feeling they will see an IU team that represents.  A far cry from how the season started out.

Personally, I am feeling much better about the Michigan game, than I did before the Duke game.  Still.... it's a road game, and IU can revert back to bad habits.

What say you, HSN 3.0 ?

Really interested to see how the team responds. Do they build off last night or have a let down? 

I'm getting ahead of myself here, but as the team improves and tournament talk comes back into the picture, games like this are really important for the resume. It's seems crazy this early, but games against teams like Michigan, Iowa, Maryland, etc., are "bubble games" and given the difficulty of the non-conference and the loss to ISU, it's a game IU could really use a win in. 

1 minute ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Currently as of this morning.

Interesting.  I wonder if he hasn't changed it....or what it was, if he did change it.

Gotta say, as has been mentioned in this thread already...... having watched IU and Duke play in the challenge, I think our chances of winning should be higher than 23%.  Heck, we eventually were just 8.5 dogs to Duke. Which at the time, I thought was crazy. 

22 minutes ago, madmax said:

Looking back I think that the Seton Hall game could really pay dividends here. We've already played on the road, against a quality team, in a hostile environment. This isn't the first one.

Really excited for this game.

Good point. 

UM is not going to look like they did yesterday, and our guys probably will not play with the same level of energy -- feeding off AH against the #1 team in the country -- as we did last night. Last night we looked like a team that can beat UM on the road, but how much of it carries over remains to be seen -- I'm optimistic that the team is steadily improving, but winning on the road in the B1G is never easy and UM was embarrassed, they will play a lot harder at home. Still, your point is a good one, we have experience to draw on, hope we do.

25 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Good point. 

UM is not going to look like they did yesterday, and our guys probably will not play with the same level of energy -- feeding off AH against the #1 team in the country -- as we did last night. Last night we looked like a team that can beat UM on the road, but how much of it carries over remains to be seen -- I'm optimistic that the team is steadily improving, but winning on the road in the B1G is never easy and UM was embarrassed, they will play a lot harder at home. Still, your point is a good one, we have experience to draw on, hope we do.

I think that this upcoming game is where we will really see the value of CAM and his coaching staff. It seems like the last few years were a roller coaster ride, both in terms of emotions as well as the on the court performance. I am looking forward to seeing how this staff and team react after being so completely invested in last night's game. 

Here's to hoping that the roller coaster stops, or at least the peaks and valleys aren't as pronounced.

I think we're seeing this team slowly take on CAM's personality.  They're becoming that hard nosed, smart, mentally tough team that is his identity.  I don't think last night was an aberration rather a prelude of what we'll look like by end of season.  I'm quite optimistic about Sat.  

2 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Hope to see some drastic improvement from last season's debacle in Ann Arbor.

https://foxsportsradio.iheart.com/articles/the-jason-smith-show-journal-482103/no-fanbase-hates-a-coach-more-15512453/

I totally forgot we had a 30 point beatdown. BTW, I kinda feel sorry for Crean that he always seemed to get caught when he was not very photogenic.

3 hours ago, FWIUFan said:

I think we're seeing this team slowly take on CAM's personality.  They're becoming that hard nosed, smart, mentally tough team that is his identity.  I don't think last night was an aberration rather a prelude of what we'll look like by end of season.  I'm quite optimistic about Sat.  

In my opinion, this is one of the most important things that is often not talked about because of its nature being intangible. 

Teams do get affected by the head coach's personality/demeanor/approach. 

There was one anecdote I read years ago. Wilhelm Furtwangler, a legendary conductor of Berlin Philharmonic in WW1/WW2 era, was about to have a practice/rehearsal session (don't remember if it was Berlin Phil.). Some musicians were out of tune, others were not quite ready yet, and each musician just practiced his/her own part. So it was just a bunch of noises. But all of a sudden, some people sitting close to the door started making beautiful sounds and all the other musicians turned their heads to see what was happening. It was Furtwangler walking into the hall and people close to the door noticed him first. People understood then and there just by sheer presence, Furtwangler could create beautiful music. 

Archie can create something beautiful at IU too. I'm a believer. 

Sitting at 4-3 with two top 25 teams on the schedule before the new year. This is about as must-win as an early game gets. First road win. Keeping up the tempo from a close loss at home to the #1 team. Building on everything from the game prior. Confidence going forward. Dropping to .500 would not be good for this team's chances at any hopes of a tournament run

6 minutes ago, CampHoosier said:

Sitting at 4-3 with two top 25 teams on the schedule before the new year. This is about as must-win as an early game gets. First road win. Keeping up the tempo from a close loss at home to the #1 team. Building on everything from the game prior. Confidence going forward. Dropping to .500 would not be good for this team's chances at any hopes of a tournament run

The Iowa game is much more must win, IMO.

2 hours ago, addictedtoIU said:

I totally forgot we had a 30 point beatdown. BTW, I kinda feel sorry for Crean that he always seemed to get caught when he was not very photogenic.

That game was a nightmare.  "It's not very often that you shoot 54% from the floor and get drubbed by 30."

Hopefully those days are over. 

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

That game was a nightmare.  "It's not very often that you shoot 54% from the floor and get drubbed by 30."

Hopefully those days are over. 

After the Duke game, and watching our defense, I tend to think those days are over.  Crean's game :  beat the other team 91 to 89 by just outscoring them, and forgetting about playing defense.  And yes, I know Miller gave up 91 to Duke.... but his team actually played defense.  Something we haven't seen for years. 

And I think we can throw the ISU game out the window.

7 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Well, we know that ESPN has some serious problems. 

Yes, they fired all of their actual experts and are now taking the average of what the game picking chicken, gold fish, octopus, Dackich, llama and chimp say.  The llama is the new head of the department so his picks count twice. 

Archived