IU/Michigan pre-game discussion thread

milehiiu

^^ If we win by 8 in Ann Arbor that would be an early statement game, imo.

UM looked awful in the ACC-B1G challenge, but this is opening night on their home floor after that embarrassing loss, and they have talent. Doubt we'll be favored to win by anyone. I am going to continue to take the long view -- encouraged by what looks like steady improvement, especially in taking care of the ball, over the past 3 games, but this is a true road game on opening night. I am looking forward to seeing if the team brings the same level of focus, if Davis plays without quick fouls and hits his free throws, if Rob extends his solid game but in this game hits his outside shots, if Morgan continues his strong play in middle, how Newkirk / Al / Green do in running point on the road -- do we work the ball inside and out and limit TO's, or do we revert to silly early shots and ball pounding? 

Win or lose, I am hoping for continuity as the team continues to work itself into the CAM style of play.

47 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

We need to be careful and not use the Duke games a measuring stick.  Lets see how the next 2 games play out before we crown this team whatever it is we want to crown them.  I do like what i saw in the Duke game.   We valued the ball and went to the post.  We shot alot of 3s but we didn't live and die by it.

I tend to agree on not using Duke as a measuring stick, but the more I think about it, the more I think its our new standard.

The positives we saw in the game are repeatable positives. Taking care of the ball, working the ball inside, getting in the lane, getting to the line, defending the ball, getting open 3 point shots. We achieved a good level of success against Duke by executing good basketball principles. We scored a fundamental 81 points.

The negatives aren't easily repeatable. Shooting 24% from three, the talent discrepancy, the size discrepancy.

The biggest question is how has/will the team respond after Wednesday night? Was it a motivating experience or a deflating one? I think the leadership and experience from RoJo and Collin are key here. They've seen and been through it all.

Very tough stretch. It's still on the road in the Big 10. I liked what I saw Wednesday. We all did. And I know for the long term we'll be just fine. With that said wins on the road without an advantage talent wise are hard to come by. If we win this one I'll move in a little closer to the table. All I want right now is 1-1 by Monday night. 

11 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I'm not sure UM can stop us on offense and they're not as good a three point shooting team as some of their past teams. I think we win by 8 or so. 

Doubtful.  Kenpom and ESPN both give us about a 22% chance of winning and I think that's highly optimistic.  Opening road game in the B1G against a team with a good coach and just as much or more talent than us.  UM by 12 unfortunately. 

28 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Doubtful.  Kenpom and ESPN both give us about a 22% chance of winning and I think that's highly optimistic.  Opening road game in the B1G against a team with a good coach and just as much or more talent than us.  UM by 12 unfortunately. 

Gotta say.  After watching both IU and Michigan this week.... I am very optimistic about this game. 

Archived