Gunnar Greenwald (2021) Commits to USF

BeerBQ

I feel as though we have been recruiting multiple tight ends pretty hard. While I do like getting solid tight ends, I feel as though we already have a lot of them on our team. I think we will have 6 tight ends on scholarship next year, not including Steinfeldt coming in the next year. Do you guys think this is because CTA doesn’t believe Hendershot will be with the team next year?

I've read a couple articles on him from other teams. Here's what I'm basically reading/seeing/hearing. 6'5 kid who just last year weighed 180 lbs so he's added and will add more weight. One offer (NC State) this past December to 2 dozen in short time. Could be a match up nightmare (I think every coach is trying to find the next Travis Kelce) depending on how he's used. Competition he played against is iffy. Glad to hear there are family ties which could help but to me he seems like a Florida kid. Hard to get him to head North.

8 hours ago, DireBump said:

I feel as though we have been recruiting multiple tight ends pretty hard. While I do like getting solid tight ends, I feel as though we already have a lot of them on our team. I think we will have 6 tight ends on scholarship next year, not including Steinfeldt coming in the next year. Do you guys think this is because CTA doesn’t believe Hendershot will be with the team next year?

I don't mind us bringing in more TEs.  I only counted 5 on scholarship for next year.  Hendershot (hopefully), Bjorson, Cooper, Ivy, and Barner.  Could have missed somebody though.  A quick look at other schools, and it looked like OSU has 6, Michigan will have 5, and Purdue will have 5.  That's 2 schools that are better than us, and 1 school that's worse than us for comparison :coffee:.

I also like that we're focusing on TEs again.  There was a really long stretch in there where it seemed like we barely had one TE on the roster.  Wilson's last year, Ian Thomas had 3 catches for 28 yards, and wasn't too far behind team leader Danny Friend who had 7 catches for 65 yards.  Also, 2 of Thomas's catches and 26 yards were in the bowl game when Allen was coaching.  The previous year, our best TE had 205 yards.  The year before was only 39 yardsThe year before that, Bolser had 320 yards, and he had 445 yards the previous year.

It is kind of amazing how little we have used our TEs most years.  Hendershot had 622 yards last year, and in Wilson's last 4 years, the top TEs combined had 629 yards.

I know DeBoer liked to use multiple TEs, and we've said with Sheridan we're expecting to run a similar style.  I'm hoping we have somebody behind Hendershot who is an athletic, receiving threat.  Maybe Cooper could be that guy?  Other than Hendershot, we don't have any that are have shown to be receiving threats.  I also expect Hendershot to be back after a few game suspension.  I just don't think we'll kick him off for that.

10 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I've read a couple articles on him from other teams. Here's what I'm basically reading/seeing/hearing. 6'5 kid who just last year weighed 180 lbs so he's added and will add more weight. One offer (NC State) this past December to 2 dozen in short time. Could be a match up nightmare (I think every coach is trying to find the next Travis Kelce) depending on how he's used. Competition he played against is iffy. Glad to hear there are family ties which could help but to me he seems like a Florida kid. Hard to get him to head North.

I saw that he was a WR at first, similar to Steinfeldt.

He only has Miami, USF, and UCF for Florida schools in his top 8.  Think he'll head to one of those 3?

1 minute ago, Leathernecks said:

I saw that he was a WR at first, similar to Steinfeldt.

He only has Miami, USF, and UCF for Florida schools in his top 8.  Think he'll head to one of those 3?

No clue as I'm just reading about him in a few articles but he mentioned weather a few times. The weather thing usually gets overplayed a bit but we'll see. IU is obviously making Florida a priority. We use our TE's great...and this kid certainly knows Penix. Will be a good one to follow.

• KDB changed the title to Gunnar Greenwald (2021) Commits to USF

Archived