ESPN FPI Game-by-Game Predictions

16 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:
ESPN's FPI model fairly convincingly predicts that in 2020 IU will do one thing it hasn't done in 26 years, and another that it hasn't done for 53 years. 

Damn 76% chance in the bucket game? Let’s hope that changes haha. 

1 minute ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

That actually feels way too high, doesn't it?  I fully expect a repeat of last year's close game.  Rondale and Bell are going to be an absolute nightmare.

Sure does. Would think somewhere in the 50-60% range would make more sense to factor in home-field advantage. 

So this IU thread doesn't become a PU thread...

I don't buy any of ESPN's odds for winning or losing a game.  I'm surprised we have a greater than 80% chance of beating both Illinois and Michigan State.  And I for one think we have a better chance of winning at Wisconsin than we do at Michigan.  I know it's just my opinion, but I guess I don't see that big of a difference in going to those two places yet there is a 23% difference.  And according to them we have a better chance of winning at Michigan than we do at home v. Penn State?

Does anyone know how they figure this stuff out?

1 minute ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

So this IU thread doesn't become a PU thread...

I don't buy any of ESPN's odds for winning or losing a game.  I'm surprised we have a greater than 80% chance of beating both Illinois and Michigan State.  And I for one think we have a better chance of winning at Wisconsin than we do at Michigan.  I know it's just my opinion, but I guess I don't see that big of a difference in going to those two places yet there is a 23% difference.  And according to them we have a better chance of winning at Michigan than we do at home v. Penn State?

Does anyone know how they figure this stuff out?

They're pretty damn solid at it, honestly. 

43 minutes ago, NYHoosier312 said:

This is the route that seems safest but most teams win one they shouldn't and lose one as well. Except for us this year. I actually believe we get Penn St at home. Sure is nice though headed into a season having to sweat out a bowl bid. Program clearly is on the rise and should maintain it's annual bowl participation for the future.....with the occasional big year with an upset or two of the 4 programs mentioned in article.

31 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

This is the route that seems safest but most teams win one they shouldn't and lose one as well. Except for us this year. I actually believe we get Penn St at home. Sure is nice though headed into a season having to sweat out a bowl bid. Program clearly is on the rise and should maintain it's annual bowl participation for the future.....with the occasional big year with an upset or two of the 4 programs mentioned in article.

I agree!  Strong possibility of being 6-1 and having a bowl bid locked up by week 7 or whatever it is if/when the season starts.

50 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'd love one time if we could play one of the ACC Coastal schedules... for instance ...

Pitt finished 4th in the ACC Coast Div last year, we finished 4th in the B1GE... we both play pathetic out of conference schedules, they play ND out of conference, but they also only play 8 conference games. 

In conference they play- @UVA, @UNC, @FSU, @Miami, Syracuse, Duke, GT, VT.

We basically play 4 of the toughest 5 games between us and Pitt this coming year. Ughhh 

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I'd love one time if we could play one of the ACC Coastal schedules... for instance ...

Pitt finished 4th in the ACC Coast Div last year, we finished 4th in the B1GE... we both play pathetic out of conference schedules, they play ND out of conference, but they also only play 8 conference games. 

In conference they play- @UVA, @UNC, @FSU, @Miami, Syracuse, Duke, GT, VT.

We basically play 4 of the toughest 5 games between us and Pitt this coming year. Ughhh 

Yep. That's a conversation for the folks in Chicago. Have to address realignment at some point. IU (and others similar) have the chance to be consistent top 25 programs. It only hurts the conference to have those of us in the East facing 3 almost certain losses...and if we get a crossover game at Wisconsin or at Iowa....makes it even more challenging. Until that component is addressed. I want 3 lay downs in nonconference. Not because I want to see us beat up someone weak....we just have a different path to 8 wins in the East. 

Archived