Movie Suggestions?

To go with the TV shows thread

Watched the movie, The King (2019) the other day. Very good, based on a few Shakespeare plays -- It's like Game of Thrones but without the dragons etc. Powerful, very well acted and written, great battle scenes to go with a lot of very good dialogue in between.

Looking for some other fairly recent movie suggestions --

18 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I just watched Ford v Ferrari.   One of the better movies I've seen in a while. 

I liked that one as well. Have been watching a lot of movies lately. They all tend to blend together now. Sometimes I have to watch a minute of one before realizing I've already seen it. 

There's always this one :D   

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

I liked that one as well. Have been watching a lot of movies lately. They all tend to blend together now. Sometimes I have to watch a minute of one before realizing I've already seen it. 

There's always this one :D   

I meant to tell you. I’ve never seen the first Jack Reacher and it was on a week or 2 ago. You inspired me to watch. Much better than the second.

The daughter in the second one always drives me crazy. Everybody knows not to use cell phones and credit cards when you are on the run! Hasn’t she seen any movies? Jeez! 😡

2 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Not a new one but the last great old style western. Unforgiven. 

Honestly haven't seen a new movie in awhile other than Bohemian Rhapsody, which if you are Queen fan straight up kills the Live at Wimbledon show, and Jumanji with the Rock. Both are pretty good. 

Yeah Bohemian Rhapsody was pretty good, and Queen was one of the bands I listened to growing up, so unique. 

3 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I wonder about the long-term impact of COVID-19 on going to the movies 

I would venture to say that any movies that were in production that had a pandemic storyline will likely be put on the shelf for a while.

As far as long term impact as to whether people go out or stay in to watch movies, as long as people date and hang out with friends, movie theaters will have a place.

7 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

If you guys haven’t seen the John Wick movies they’re good, and relentless action. 

This article gives a glimpse. https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/20/how-coronavirus-could-permanently-change-the-movie-industry.html

Must admit I'm not a movie theater guy because new films are released to stream so quickly now. Something that will be interesting to watch is California has been quick to say no sporting events,etc...for a long time. Will be curious what they do with their #1 money maker in Hollywood.

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

This article gives a glimpse. https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/20/how-coronavirus-could-permanently-change-the-movie-industry.html

Must admit I'm not a movie theater guy because new films are released to stream so quickly now. Something that will be interesting to watch is California has been quick to say no sporting events,etc...for a long time. Will be curious what they do with their #1 money maker in Hollywood.

Thanks for the link....interesting stuff. The kids begged me to get Trolls 2 a few weeks ago. It was $20 for a 48 hour rental. At first, I thought that was ridiculous, but came to the realization it’s less then taking everybody to the theatre. 

I would do it again. I personally don’t need to go to a theatre, the 3D movies make my eyes hurt and paying $8 for a bag of popcorn is silly. Unless it’s a new Star Wars or some new awesome action movie that has to be seen on the big screen, I’m good with staying home. 

Just now, tdhoosier said:

Thanks for the link....interesting stuff. The kids begged me to get Trolls 2 a few weeks ago. It was $20 for a 48 hour rental. At first, I thought that was ridiculous, but came to the realization it’s less then taking everybody to the theatre. 

I would do it again. I personally don’t need to go to a theatre, the 3D movies make my eyes hurt and paying $8 for a bag of popcorn is silly. Unless it’s a new Star Wars or some new awesome action movie that has to be seen on the big screen, I’m good with staying home. 

Yep. I've been maybe 2-3 movies in last couple years. Star Wars movies....and Downton Abbey. Otherwise it is cheaper to stay at home. The article mentions the 3 month window that cinemas usually get for new releases. I don't see anytime in the near future that window isn't either eliminated or reduced substantially. Shoot...my Carmel Library card gets me new movie releases within 2-3 months for free. 

On the flip side though....maybe drive in movies make a push once we get back to our new normal.

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep. I've been maybe 2-3 movies in last couple years. Star Wars movies....and Downton Abbey. Otherwise it is cheaper to stay at home. The article mentions the 3 month window that cinemas usually get for new releases. I don't see anytime in the near future that window isn't either eliminated or reduced substantially. Shoot...my Carmel Library card gets me new movie releases within 2-3 months for free. 

On the flip side though....maybe drive in movies make a push once we get back to our new normal.

I forgot to mention my daughter watched Trolls 2 three and a half times during that 48 hr period. Haha. Guess i got my money’s worth after all....and some peace and quiet. 

17 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

maybe drive in movies make a push once we get back to our new normal.

When I was 10, the only reason I wanted a driver's license was so I could go to the drive-in...

And I didn't even know about the residual perks when dating...

9 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

If you guys haven’t seen the John Wick movies they’re good, and relentless action. 

John Wick is my wifes favorite. She watches everytime they are on- which seems rather often. Hence, I've seen them countless times.  Wish Keanu Reaves would have played Reacher instead of Tom Cruise.  Cruise just doesn't fit that part. 

See this? Now AMC is banning Universal movies. The AMC CEO seems like a hot head; doesn’t seem like a smart move to me.

IMO, I say good riddance. Maybe you shouldn’t charge $15 for a pop corn and soft drink, which would give people more incentive to go to the theatres. We all saw what happened to Blockbuster when they refused to adapt to consumer demand.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/28/media/trolls-world-tour-universal-amc/index.html

On 4/23/2020 at 8:28 AM, Reacher said:

John Wick is my wifes favorite. She watches everytime they are on- which seems rather often. Hence, I've seen them countless times.  Wish Keanu Reaves would have played Reacher instead of Tom Cruise.  Cruise just doesn't fit that part. 

Totally agree. As a Jack Reacher fan, Tom Cruise does NOT fit the description! In the books, Reacher is 6'4" and 240 lbs of muscle! 

1 hour ago, Colonialcrester said:

Totally agree. As a Jack Reacher fan, Tom Cruise does NOT fit the description! In the books, Reacher is 6'4" and 240 lbs of muscle! 

For a laugh, on Cruise, go back and watch The Firm (pretty good based on Grisham’s book - the laugh part is watching Cruise run trying to look serious, he just looks hysterical 

• 9 months later...

Archived