NCAA moves toward allowing athletes to be paid sponsors

The NCAA is moving closer to allowing Division I athletes to earn money from endorsements and sponsorship deals they can strike on their own as early as next year.

Recommended rule changes that would clear the way for athletes to earn money from their names, images and likeness are being reviewed by college sports administrators this week before being sent to the NCAA Board of Governors, which meets Monday and Tuesday.

If adopted, the rules would allow athletes to make sponsorship and endorsement deals with all kinds of companies and third parties, from car dealerships to concert promoters to pizza shops, according to a person who has reviewed the recommendations. The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity Thursday because the details were still being discussed and debated.

The recommendations are expected to form the foundation for legislation the NCAA hopes to pass next January so it can take effect in 2021. Changes could still be made before January.

No school-branded apparel or material could be used by athletes in their personal endorsement deals, according to the recommendations reviewed by the person who spoke to the AP. Athletes would be required to disclose financial terms of contracts to their athletic departments, along with their relationships with any individuals involved.

Athletes would be allowed to enter into agreements with individuals deemed to be school boosters, the person said.

More at the link. 

https://apnews.com/a059f16cba96ce115152b577a97e3ea6

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All I know is our new AD should be working overtime to start a whole new office dedicated to helping promote our athletes and assist them in complying with the new rules. IU has the presence in and around the state especially in big money Indy to help our kids get as many car dealership, sporting good store, grocery, and corporate sponsorships for our elite recruits and make IU the school to attend in state for sports and making a living while attending.

14 minutes ago, dgambill said:

All I know is our new AD should be working overtime to start a whole new office dedicated to helping promote our athletes and assist them in complying with the new rules. IU has the presence in and around the state especially in big money Indy to help our kids get as many car dealership, sporting good store, grocery, and corporate sponsorships for our elite recruits and make IU the school to attend in state for sports and making a living while attending.

I nominate our very own @BGleas for the job!! 😃👍🍻

2 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

It’s perfect for the phony NCAA and its members. They don’t have to pay the athletes.  But they let them get paid by sponsors.  The NCAA and its members aren’t out a single penny.  And they get to pretend it’s some huge concession. 

It's either this or college basketball goes to pot as all the good players go to the G league and get paid.

4 hours ago, 3Ballin said:

@BGleas......what he said. 👆👆

Sorry to hear that.  I hope you and yours are staying safe and in good health tho.

Thanks! Not the phone call you want to get, but I guess the good news is our company is still in business. We're a small startup and while we're ecommerce so still able to market, convert orders and ship, about 60% of our business was with doctors and gyms and most of them are closed right now, so revenue has taken a hit.

Hope you and your family are healthy and safe as well!!

22 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

I have a suspicion that a huge "can of worms" will be opened with this rule.  I just hope we can exploit it to the limit in our favor.

I'm sure this is the rule change that Mcrobbie and Dolson have been waiting for.  I'm sure they've got the cash all lined up.

If you think about this, there has to be some kind of regulation involved...

Think of what pro sports would be like without a draft. If every kid coming out of college was a free agent, it theoretically could destroy a league. There's always some crazy owner out there who'll write checks that their franchise can't cover.

And I think letting the shoe companies have any say-so in it is totally crazy...

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

Thanks! Not the phone call you want to get, but I guess the good news is our company is still in business. We're a small startup and while we're ecommerce so still able to market, convert orders and ship, about 60% of our business was with doctors and gyms and most of them are closed right now, so revenue has taken a hit.

Hope you and your family are healthy and safe as well!!

Thank you.  We are doing as well as can be expected.  Kids are going stir crazy bit if thats the worst thing we have to deal with we're all good......and bourbon is like hand sanitizer for your insides so, cheers! 🥃🥃

Gosh this is worse than collages are allowed to give allowances to players periodically. 5-star players would want to get involved with boosters and local businesses before they sign the LOIs. Probably players and parents/guardians would receive revenue proposals during their official visits. 

15 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

It's either this or college basketball goes to pot as all the good players go to the G league and get paid.

I say let them go!! Getting a FREE EDUCATION IS PAYMENT ENOUGH! Why does the majority of students have thousands in debt for their education and a poor  athlete has zero. If you are going to pay them aren't they pros? Maybe I think I would rather watch STUDENT ATHLETES in college giving their all instead of a semi pro college player shutting down on the team because he or she are hurt and may hurt their draft stock. Just my view on pay for play in college

7 minutes ago, loviubb said:

I say let them go!! Getting a FREE EDUCATION IS PAYMENT ENOUGH! Why does the majority of students have thousands in debt for their education and a poor  athlete has zero. If you are going to pay them aren't they pros? Maybe I think I would rather watch STUDENT ATHLETES in college giving their all instead of a semi pro college player shutting down on the team because he or she are hurt and may hurt their draft stock. Just my view on pay for play in college

This is my view as well.  I personally have no interest nor do I watch any Pro sports other than Golf.  However, I continue to love HS and College and following the development of the players over time.  I personally would prefer those only interested in a Pro career move on.  Continue to grant scholarships to the rest.  If we turn into OAD factories, I simply will loose all interest. 

Archived