NCAA moves toward allowing athletes to be paid sponsors

2 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

Wow Mile. That is company with some swimming royalty. Sounds like your son was an impressive swimmer.

As a swimmer and a coach I can say that swimming is definitely a tough sport. They work just as hard physical as other athletes, i wouldn’t necessarily say any more or any less. The challenge in swimming is the mental aspect. In many other sports you are able to distract yourself from the pain, but in swimming your head is under water and you are left alone with your thoughts and your body constantly reminding you how much it hurts. To survive in swimming you you need to develop grit to block that out. The high level swimmers are definitely a different breed. 

My son was blessed to have worked with two Olympic swimmers while at Cherry Creek High School.  Winters mentored by Amy Van Dyken. And summers, Dave Denniston, who worked with my son on his breast stroke.  Dave was a national championship winner at Auburn University. Three years in a row.   And competed in the breaststroke in the Olympics. Dave currently is the head men''s and women's swimming coach at the University of Wyoming.

Amy was involved in an all terrain vehicle accident a few years back. Which paralyzed her, though she is getting better  she is still wheel chair bound.  Dave was involved in a sledding accident, which, too. left him paralyzed.  He has been able come back. 

At the time my son was swimming at Cherry Creek, they had wrapped up their 22nd Colorado State swimming championship. Two a days before the season began. In the water at 3 a.m.  And back in the water after school.  Then as the season went on.... tapering was the word.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the DD show he was talking to Seth Greenberg.  They were talking about this topic and both thought this really is not going to effect that many athletes.  They felt it would only be the star players who will get these advertising deals.

Also they thought it could effect a team negatively if these advertising deals corresponds with team activities.  Say you have away game on a Sunday but your star player had an appearance on a Saturday afternoon.  Will the coach be happy that the player might not be able to travel with the team.

3 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/board-governors-moves-toward-allowing-student-athlete-compensation-endorsements-and-promotions

Glad to see the NCAA use some common sense for once.  A victory for good old fashioned American capitalism.

Every car dealership, gym, healthcare related facility maybe for injuries/treatment,etc...... in the area better start figuring out a way (in conjunction with IU) to start planning for this. We certainly have an advantage in hoops for statewide recognition....but football will have to get creative. Can't wait to see the commercials Bama is probably already putting together in their minds.

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

On the DD show he was talking to Seth Greenberg.  They were talking about this topic and both thought this really is not going to effect that many athletes.  They felt it would only be the star players who will get these advertising deals.

Also they thought it could effect a team negatively if these advertising deals corresponds with team activities.  Say you have away game on a Sunday but your star player had an appearance on a Saturday afternoon.  Will the coach be happy that the player might not be able to travel with the team.

My biggest fear is the 2nd part. Commercials won't interfere with travel as I'm sure most will say these things will be done in offseasons,etc....but my concern is the number of players getting used vs the ones who aren't. Will that cause jealously within a team. For example only. Let's Romeo was getting paid big $$$$$ for whatever product....do you think some of his older/veteran teammates are going to happy if they still don't have a dime? Coaches are going to have to work overtime on this aspect I fear. 

Of course the flip side of that is if the team does really, really well....the whole team could partake in something. 

23 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Every car dealership, gym, healthcare related facility maybe for injuries/treatment,etc...... in the area better start figuring out a way (in conjunction with IU) to start planning for this. We certainly have an advantage in hoops for statewide recognition....but football will have to get creative. Can't wait to see the commercials Bama is probably already putting together in their minds.

And this will open up way more revenue streams for players than just the traditional sponsorships, ads, etc.

For example, Romeo, Devonte, and DeRon are all on Cameo now, selling personalized shout-outs for $15-$40 a pop (and according to the free market, each player has different rates based on how prominent they are, lol).

https://www.cameo.com/yeahyeah22

https://www.cameo.com/chefboyargreen

https://www.cameo.com/derondavis_20

Tech savvy Gen Z players will be all over this kind of stuff — and every scholarship player at a school like IU will be able to benefit.

2 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

And this will open up way more revenue streams for players than just the traditional sponsorships, ads, etc.

For example, Romeo, Devonte, and DeRon are all on Cameo now, selling personalized shout-outs for $15-$40 a pop (and according to the free market, each player has different rates based on how prominent they are, lol).

Tech savvy Gen Z players will be all over this kind of stuff — and every scholarship player at a school like IU will be able to benefit.

Completely agree on the possibilities here. People who think this only benefits star players in basketball and football are dead wrong. You bring up a great point with Cameo, but it even goes beyond that. My company gives free product and sometimes pays people to post to social media, and we've paid people with far fewer followers than Romeo Langford. Micro influencers are many times way more productive and provide greater returns than people on IG that have 1,000,000 followers. 

Tim Priller could have started a YouTube Channel, drawn a ton of fans because he was a fan favorite, and then made a killing via YouTube ads on his videos. The possibilities for players to monetize are endless. 

This goes well beyond local car dealership commercials. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Completely agree on the possibilities here. People who think this only benefits star players in basketball and football are dead wrong. You bring up a great point with Cameo, but it even goes beyond that. My company gives free product and sometimes pays people to post to social media, and we've paid people with far fewer followers than Romeo Langford. Micro influencers are many times way more productive and provide greater returns than people on IG that have 1,000,000 followers. 

Tim Priller could have started a YouTube Channel, drawn a ton of fans because he was a fan favorite, and then made a killing via YouTube ads on his videos. The possibilities for players to monetize are endless. 

YOU above all would know. Considering your extensive background in this field.  I follow several You Tube channels of people who derive their only income from You Tube.

9 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Yep. I did one with Andre Dawson. Friend of mine battling cancer and he was his favorite Cub. The cameo's are great....and $40 each can add up but the deeper pockets is what's going to separate us. I have no clue where this thing could end up. Once IU gets some information in place I'm certainly going to inquire for my business....more out of curiosity but if it's reasonable cost wise? I'd give it a go. 

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

YOU above all would know. Considering your extensive background in this field.  I follow several You Tube channels of people who derive their only income from You Tube.

The possibilities really are endless. I can see high school kids paying to play a round of Fortnite with Anthony Leal. A Tim Priller type of end of the bench favorite partnering with a t-shirt company to sell tshirts with his likeness on them. Heck, you can set up a store on Shopify in an hour or two and being selling via ecommerce. 

They'll get social media influencer deals, run camps in their hometowns, etc., etc. Will they all be making $500,000? No. But, they'll be making more than what most college kids can. 

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree all day...and I was just using car dealerships as an example for the bigger dollars....in the sense of one time commercial. Could you imagine what Bailey or Alford or others could have cashed in by saying I'm roaring into Bob Rohrman for my next car purchase? 

Even with huge sponsors like Ken Nunn or other law firms that sponsor IU...bigger pops for the kids. Really hope IU gets way out in front of this. 

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Agree all day...and I was just using car dealerships as an example for the bigger dollars....in the sense of one time commercial. Could you imagine what Bailey or Alford or others could have cashed in by saying I'm roaring into Bob Rohrman for my next car purchase? 

Even with huge sponsors like Ken Nunn or other law firms that sponsor IU...bigger pops for the kids. Really hope IU gets way out in front of this. 

Here in Indy there was a car commercial with local high School played I saw this year.

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I still think this will still just be limited to the top players on the team.  Not saying it will just be a couple of sports but I don't  see most players getting deals.

I actually think all will benefit. Let's say small town produces a kid who ends up at IU. They don't want to choose the stars...but they choose someone who made it from small time school to big stage at IU. It goes both ways. The employers/companies will get far more benefit in a move like that compared to a few bucks to the player.

Just now, Seeking6 said:

I actually think all will benefit. Let's say small town produces a kid who ends up at IU. They don't want to choose the stars...but they choose someone who made it from small time school to big stage at IU. It goes both ways. The employers/companies will get far more benefit in a move like that compared to a few bucks to the player.

I am talking about the huge deals that pays a lot of money.  I am not talking about the $20.00 that players can get like Assembly Calls pay to promote the show.

42 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Plus their Instagram pages and other social media, much like other Instagram stars.

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am talking about the huge deals that pays a lot of money.  I am not talking about the $20.00 that players can get like Assembly Calls pay to promote the show.

There are "mommy influencers" all over the country that make a decent living getting paid by companies to post a single image to Instagram, and many of them have fewer than 100,000 followers. I've been pitched by these people, some of them require $2,000 or so per post and they have something like 50,000 followers on IG, and they sign 3-6 month deals with companies. Say $2k per post over 3 months, that's $6,000. Do that with 5 companies and you just made $30,000 over 3 months. Get paid a few grand to host some local basketball camps in in your hometown over the summer, do a few autograph sessions in your college's town and your hometown, and boom you're talking over six figures when you add it all up. 

I'm sure social media and business savvy college athletes at a big schools, regardless of playing time or sport, can pull that off. Start a fan website that collects email address and build an email database, along with your social media followers, and then you can pitch sponsored emails along with social media posts to potential sponsors. 

The possibilities are literally endless. 

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

There are "mommy influencers" all over the country that make a decent living getting paid by companies to post a single image to Instagram, and many of them have fewer than 100,000 followers. I've been pitched by these people, some of them require $2,000 or so per post and they have something like 50,000 followers on IG, and they sign 3-6 month deals with companies. Say $2k per post over 3 months, that's $6,000. Do that with 5 companies and you just made $30,000 over 3 months. Get paid a few grand to host some local basketball camps in in your hometown over the summer, do a few autograph sessions in your college's town and your hometown, and boom you're talking over six figures when you add it all up. 

I'm sure social media and business savvy college athletes at a big schools, regardless of playing time or sport, can pull that off. Start a fan website that collects email address and build an email database, along with your social media followers, and then you can pitch sponsored emails along with social media posts to potential sponsors. 

But Scott and Dakich don’t think so, so you’re wrong.

7 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

But Scott and Dakich don’t think so, so you’re wrong.

Exactly, and it has to be all or nothing. 'Well, only the stars are going to get the huge deals'. Sure, a car dealership probably isn't paying Race Thompson $200,000 for a commercial. Of course not, but it doesn't mean that if someone like Thompson isn't savvy that he can't carve out over $100,000 doing a bunch of different things. 

The fear for coaches and fans though is, what attention does that take away from basketball and preparation for basketball? Because it does take work and focus to accomplish those deals. 

38 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yep. Just using Romeo for example. 200k followers on IG. Using 1% rule....$100 for every 10k followers every ad or mention during his time at IU would be worth $2,000. Again...ballpark numbers but he could do 50-60 ads during his time and clear some nice loot.

Sorry, haven't read all of this thread before my ever churning mind took off again! So, I'm seeing options like Pro's all around the world, G-League (Daishen NiX 3rd 2020 player to go straight to G League) and this! 

Does there come a time when players like Daishen start thinking they can make more money in college with a team and fan base that will support him and he forgoes the G League?

Sorry, got to run my squirrel mind just changed directions!!

5 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

This is freaking awesome.  I have a couple of friends that I would absolutely love to prank with these.  One buddy was always bitching about Devonte so it would be hilarious to order a birthday wish from Devonte for him ("I heard you've been doggin' on me, but I'll wish you a happy birthday anyway.").  Imagine sending your Purdue relatives a greeting from Romeo Langford ("you called me overrated, but we both know you would have loved for me to be a Toiletmaker.")...the possibilities are endless...

16 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Scott, I think me, you, Dakich and Greenberg have to wake up to the fact it's the 21st century and you don't need a traditional "job" to make money...

A lot of good points are made in this thread about HOW college athletes can make money. I'm not on Twitter or Instagram, but I do know some people make a living simply by doing whatever it is they do on there. Some make a damned good living.

You'd be surprised what people will pay for nowadays. My middle daughter is a professional dog trainer. Want an initial consultation? $300 for an hour of that. Dog needs a "massage?" $45 for 20 minutes of that. It's crazy. But she makes a damned nice living, and she's in high demand. Both of her sisters have Masters degrees (she does have a BA), and she makes more than either of them.

I don't consider what she does as a traditional job...But she's getting paid and loves what she's doing.

These kids can make money in non-traditional ways, more power to em.

Archived