NCAA moves toward allowing athletes to be paid sponsors

24 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I don't consider what she does as a traditional job...But she's getting paid and loves what she's doing.

These kids can make money in non-traditional ways, more power to em.

"Choose a job you love. And you will never work a day in your life."

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those influencers get a lot of cool free stuff too. There was a mommy influencer who had kids at my kid’s day care. She was always selling brand new toys she got for free. She got all expense paid vacations from resorts; of course she vlogged about them on her trips. 

My buddy has an instagram page about craft beer. Has beer sent to him from all over the country. A lot of the times it just randomly shows up on his porch. He gives so much of it away because he can’t possibly drink it all. 

22 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Those influencers get a lot of cool free stuff too. There was a mommy influencer who had kids at my kid’s day care. She was always selling brand new toys she got for free. She got all expense paid vacations from resorts; of course she vlogged about them on her trips. 

My buddy has an instagram page about craft beer. Has beer sent to him from all over the country. A lot of the times it just randomly shows up on his porch. He gives so much of it away because he can’t possibly drink it all. 

Absolutely. As a marketer, we have entire strategies dedicated to seeking these people out and getting our product in their hands. Some do it just for the free product, others want payment and the free product, but influencer marketing is an entire industry. 

Steve Alford is not the only victim of the old NCAA rule.   In a much more pervasive way.... the NCAA took two years away of playing football from Jeremy Bloom because he accepted money to ski for the USA in the Olympics.  Bloom was one of the greatest FB players, I have ever seen in a Buff's uni. Setting records in his first FB game that still stand to today. 

As NCAA rule change looms, impossible not think about Jeremy Bloom

I was listening to Rabby this week and he had a good retort to the response I see a lot regarding the new NLI rule: ”a scholarship should be enough for an athlete.” 

He pointed out that there are many kids on academic scholarship, yet, they can make money on their NLI. Why can a violinist at IU get paid to play with a symphony while on scholarship, but an athlete can’t make money hosting a sports camp? Why can this hypothetical violinist write a song and make money on royalties, or play a couple nights a month with a rock band at The Bluebird? Why is a scholarship considered enough compensation for an athlete and not the musician? The musician is still getting a free education, room/board, and is benefitting from the school’s resources and training, just like the athlete.  

3 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

I was listening to Rabby this week and he had a good retort to the response I see a lot regarding the new NLI rule: ”a scholarship should be enough for an athlete.” 

He pointed out that there are many kids on academic scholarship, yet, they can make money on their NLI. Why can a violinist at IU get paid to play with a symphony while on scholarship, but an athlete can’t make money hosting a sports camp? Why can this hypothetical violinist write a song and make money on royalties, or play a couple nights a month with a rock band at The Bluebird? Why is a scholarship considered enough compensation for an athlete and not the musician? The musician is still getting a free education, room/board, and is benefitting from the school’s resources and training, just like the athlete.  

Wow. I never thought of that.  IU... considered over the years to have the top music school in all of the country.

Years back. I went to a concert  at our local high school, here in Colorado ( Cherry Creek High school has an entire building with a giant auditorium dedicated to music students.. much like IU ).  At the time these were students from IU....who at that time that still went by the name.... Straight, No Chaser.  Actually had a meet up with them before the concert.  And we talked about IU basketball.  And then during their performance..... they pointed me out, and said my name... as an IU grad.

I digress. But, their airfare to Colorado was paid for them. And the proceeds of the concert was given back to them. I saw that with my own eyes.

And never gave it a second thought, till your post.

4 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

Well,  part of the difference is that violinists usually don''t get paid for writing a song that no one will ever hear or being paid more than other more experienced musicians  because they are  being recruited to play for bands in other cities where they also have a music program  wanting to offer a scholarship and they want the band to compete against the old school on "America's got talent"

Archived