General Music Thread

IUFLA

17 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Adder to the conversation, are you a song list builder for your particular listening needs or do you let others choose and just enjoy listening? Me radio is completely fine when I have a decent channel after that it’s Alexa play....

One of the things I like about the Google Play Music service is that you can ask for a song, album, artist, or genre. If you request a single sing, it'll follow that song with a playlist of like music. 

I chose Google Play music over Apple Music and Spotify because of the integration with Google Assistant and Android Auto...if I'm driving along and say, "Hey Google, play the album " Houses of the Holy" by Led Zepplin." It'll play it. If you ask it to play " Gary Allen radio" it'll play a mix of Gary Allen songs and those of like artists as a commercial free radio station. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Good music is good music, regardless of the genre.

Bad music is bad music, regardless of the genre.

Some of my favorite songs are by artists I don't otherwise like,  For example, I don't like Guns N Roses, but Sweet Child O' Mine is my favorite rock song.

Some of the artists that I enjoy the most are:

• The Beatles 
  • Johnny Cash
  • Rihanna
  • Train
  • The Drifters
  • Marc Cohn
  • Merle Haggard

With you, with the exception of country. I’m sorry but I hate country music. I think I’d rather do another month of Corona forced stay home than listen to any country (closest I’ve come to an exception is Johnny Cash).

But I like your take here on songs over artists. Love Welcome to the Jungle by Guns and Roses, and Sweet Chile’s guitar rif about midway into the song is one of my favorites - but don’t like much more if their music, which is interesting because they’re a very talented band.

Like others I grew up on 60’s and 70’s music but 80’s music in high school-college — almost entirely Rock, saw Dylan live as a 6-year old

Beatles and Stones, Zepplin, Pink Floyd (still have the vinyl every one of those bands’ records) Eagles, Hendrix, Aerosmith, Blue Oyster Cult, Black Sabbath 
but then AC/DC, Police, Queen, Cars, some Van Halen 

Then in 90’s got into Hip Hop/rap along with grunge Tribe Called Quest, Public Enemy, Wu Tang, Nirvana

Now I’m kind of all over the map but still almost all rock with some jazz and classical thrown in 

Nada Surf’s a great band (and does a nice Blonde on Blonde cover btw), and somehow didn’t listen to them until about a year ago and am now a huge Metallica guy — One, Sandman and several others — 

It’s interesting to me how some bands’ music holds up well while others gets dated and just doesn’t 

Aerosmith (the early stuff not their later stuff), Metallica, Eagles (who doesn’t like Hotel California?), Stones, Zepplin, later Beatles, Queen, Bowie, Nada Surf for example hold up really well — my kids like many of the songs by bands I listened to in the 70’s and 80’s

Others, Cars, Van Halen, really a ton of 80’s bands, just doesn’t 

I Really like Metallica. They get alot of crap about their music after the black album(St. Anger sucked though). Still had some some pretty good songs after. 

"One" is my jam and a good example of how good they can be lyrically.  Alot of but not all of the stuff I like is because of the songwriting.  But if I dont want to think about it then I'm whatever sounds good.

shirt-1522698643-d89edb17b31fcc4ebc82d13a15783655.png

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Had to run a couple of errands.  While I was out, Tom Petty came on the radio.  I decided Petty needed to be mentioned here.  His 1993 Greatest Hits album is one of my favorites.  I don't think there is a song on there that I don't like.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greatest_Hits_(Tom_Petty_album)

TomPettyGreatestHits.jpg

For sure 

and another not mentioned - Elvis Costello 

I dont mind Guns n Rose's. Like alot of their stuff Estranged is a masterpiece and Yesterday's is good too. 

Lynyrd Skynyrd, Ballad of Curtis Leow and Four walls of Raiford are a couple favorites.  Just dont play me Free Bird. 

Bob Seeger. 

Edited by mrflynn03

11 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

Glad you liked it, but just realizing now that I inserted the wrong quote. I meant to reply to @Lostin76 .  Haha. 

I'm just now streaming this and definitely dig it. Really good stuff. I like good acoustical music and definitely anything with jazz structure.

7 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I Really like Metallica. They get alot of crap about their music after the black album(St. Anger sucked though). Still had some some pretty good songs after. 

"One" is my jam and a good example of how good they can be lyrically.  Alot of but not all of the stuff I like is because of the songwriting.  But if I dont want to think about it then I'm whatever sounds good.

shirt-1522698643-d89edb17b31fcc4ebc82d13a15783655.png

Oh man, this is perfection! I still remember hearing about Cliff's death while I was at work at a grocery store. Was just a teenager. We had tickets to Metallica in Evansville a couple months later and it just wasn't the same w/o him.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

I'm just now streaming this and definitely dig it. Really good stuff. I like good acoustical music and definitely anything with jazz structure.

Oh man, this is perfection! I still remember hearing about Cliff's death while I was at work at a grocery store. Was just a teenager. We had tickets to Metallica in Evansville a couple months later and it just wasn't the same w/o him.

Master of Puppets was probably their best album, but Harvester of Sorrow, Until it Sleeps, and Sanitarium, are runners up for my favorite songs. Their last album Hardwired...was pretty dang good. 

Just a few observations...

No one has mentioned "The Who."

"Tommy" is a good "rock opera" but "Quadrophenia" is, in my opinion, much better. 

I think " Candy-O" is a better LP than "The Cars" eponymous debut album.

Love "ZZ Tops" older stuff, especially "Tejas." Very underrated LP. Hate the stuff they did in the 80s.

IMHO, "The Wild, the Innocent, and the E St Shuffle" is Springsteen's best LP.

36 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Glenn Campbell was a very underrated guitarist as well...check out his version of Mason Williams' "Classical Gas."

If you can't tell from my user photo I love guitar. Been playing for 25 years. I can get along, but definitely am no prodigy. Definitely have a long list of favorite guitarists, but IMO, you always have to separate into 2 categories: based on skill and based on creativity. This doesn't mean the creative ones aren't 'skilled' or the skilled ones aren't 'creative'. Most of my favorites are the creative ones; the ones who write melodic solos that are remembered - ones that are printed on you brain and you could whistle from memory. That said, my favorites are Slash, David Gilmour, Don Felder, Jimi, etc. 

But every now and then I'll come across skill like in the video below that makes me want to give up and smash all my guitars. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

But every now and then I'll come across skill like in the video below that makes me want to give up and smash all my guitars.

You should have told us this was your "virus hibernation project". I would have believed you...at least a minute or two 🤣

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, DWB said:

You should have told us this was your "virus hibernation project". I would have believed you...at least a minute or two 🤣

This is some random Japanese dude on YouTube. I'm pulling this out of my butt, but I can't imagine there are more than 20 people in the world who could do that. He is playing the beat, bass line, chords and melody all at the same time with just two hands. I've seen people do 2 of the 4 at the same time, but all 4? Just ridiculous.

For anybody who liked that, he has his own youtube channel....so you can go down that wormhole. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNYlXBcX43XtXOxzzKmps2w

10 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

I’ve had the pleasure of running sound board for a very talented Latin guitarist and his two brothers of Ecuadorian heritage. The ability to play with all ten fingers just blows my mind! Course he’s not in the league of this guy!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=89HTnjnOxSc

Edited by Drroogh

9 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

If you can't tell from my user photo I love guitar. Been playing for 25 years. I can get along, but definitely am no prodigy. Definitely have a long list of favorite guitarists, but IMO, you always have to separate into 2 categories: based on skill and based on creativity. This doesn't mean the creative ones aren't 'skilled' or the skilled ones aren't 'creative'. Most of my favorites are the creative ones; the ones who write melodic solos that are remembered - ones that are printed on you brain and you could whistle from memory. That said, my favorites are Slash, David Gilmour, Don Felder, Jimi, etc. 

I’m a guitarist too, back in high school - college played lead in rock bands, on a Hammer Prototype (triple humbuckers) and a Les Paul (always preferred the deeper resonating sound to Fender Strat’s more tinty sound). Moved into classical guitar in college (have a hand-made Graven) and then straight acoustic and now play almost exclusively acoustic (ovation and an old Gibson). I really only write my own stuff now for fun, but love to play. 

There are so many great guitarists popular and largely undiscovered or barely known. Hendrix, for rock, IMO remains the gold standard. He was so, so far ahead of his time, so original and creative to go with his sick skill playing the guitar upside down, with his teeth etc. 

Among the popular bands, I really like the riffs on songs like Hotel California, Aerosmith’s Walk this Way (that closing lead, oh man), the dual guitar play in Metallica’s One, Welcome to the Jungle, but there is stuff out there like Pat Metheny, etc so many great guitarists and riffs 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I’m a guitarist too, back in high school - college played lead in rock bands, on a Hammer Prototype (triple humbuckers) and a Les Paul (always preferred the deeper resonating sound to Fender Strat’s more tinty sound). Moved into classical guitar in college (have a hand-made Graven) and then straight acoustic and now play almost exclusively acoustic (ovation and an old Gibson). I really only write my own stuff now for fun, but love to play. 

There are so many great guitarists popular and largely undiscovered or barely known. Hendrix, for rock, IMO remains the gold standard. He was so, so far ahead of his time, so original and creative to go with his sick skill playing the guitar upside down, with his teeth etc. 

Among the popular bands, I really like the riffs on songs like Hotel California, Aerosmith’s Walk this Way (that closing lead, oh man), the dual guitar play in Metallica’s One, Welcome to the Jungle, but there is stuff out there like Pat Metheny, etc so many great guitarists and riffs 

I took the opposite path you did. I started off with acoustic because I could never afford the gear in HS and College. And about 8 years ago I switched to electric, which was like a completely new instrument...especially because I grew up on playing Dave Matthews which made me sound really sloppy on electric. 

Ever since I’ve been chasing that Jimi/SRV sound. Strat with the neck and middle pick up going through a blues deluxe. I hear what you say about Strats, but I love them and my shoulders aren’t strong enough to have Les Paul hanging on them for 2 hours. Haha. I do have an Epiphone dot too though.  

Hotel California may be my favorite solo. I never really appreciated it until I learned how to play it....Felder just covers so much in it. I’m going to go back and listen to Walk This Way right now. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Drroogh said:

I’ve had the pleasure of running sound board for a very talented Latin guitarist and his two brothers of Ecuadorian heritage. The ability to play with all ten fingers just blows my mind! Course he’s not in the league of this guy!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=89HTnjnOxSc

These are the Agua’s  brothers “Two or More” I’ve mixed music for them live at least twice, I’m thinking three times over the years! They are great friends of our church dating back almost twenty years! A Latino Christian band. Eddie is the guitarist I speak of! 
Whish I had the English translation! In spite of that, no denying the power of their music!

Edited by Drroogh