General Music Thread

IUFLA

On 4/25/2020 at 11:59 AM, tdhoosier said:

I’m not sure where to start. Asking me what my favorite band is like asking Shawn Kemp who his favorite child is. 

I grew up in the 90s, but love so many things that came out before that. I’ll listen to anything except that pop country stuff. I like a lot of current music and believe there’s a misconception that there isn’t good music out there any more. There is a ton of great music, it’s just harder to find because there’s so many outlets. Some of my favorite bands/artists of the last decade:

The War on Drugs - it’s like Springsteen meets Pink Floyd ethereal-ness
Father John Misty - Best lyricist out there right now, but the lyrics lyrics are oozed in sarcasm. Folky vibe (used to be the drummer in Fleet Foxes)
Jason Isbell - 2nd best lyricist out there right now. Americana country vibe. If you want to cry, listen to ‘Elephant’.
My Morning Jacket - My favorite live band. Dig their earlier stuff more though.
Whitney - 70s groove vibe. The guitarist is just insanely good - so clean and precise.
Khrungbin - Ambeint guitar music. The trio is just ridiculous. Great for background music that has a Latin feel; I’m obsessed with his guitar tone right now, it’s like a reverb drenched surf tone, but rich instead of twangy. 
White Denim - Guitar rock at it’s finest .
White Reeper - If you just want some 70’s era riff driven rock. 
Lord Huron - Not quite sure how to explain their sound because it’s pretty unique. 

I’m forgetting so many others, but those are probably my most played.

OH - best album ever is Girl Talk - All Day. I’m pretty sure everybody I’ve introduced this to became obsessed; it’s like a journey through the history of rock, rap and pop. *free DL on illegalart.net 

Yeah I know Girl Talk that’s a crazy tune. 

Since you like The War on Drugs (good, Granduciel’s nice blend of moody guitar work and a somewhat Dire Straits like sound but more edgy), do you like Tame Impala? 
I got into Tame about 4 years ago and now they’re trendy lol. I hear a little Zepplin influence 

54 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Yeah I know Girl Talk that’s a crazy tune. 

Since you like The War on Drugs (good, Granduciel’s nice blend of moody guitar work and a somewhat Dire Straits like sound but more edgy), do you like Tame Impala? 
I got into Tame about 4 years ago and now they’re trendy lol. I hear a little Zepplin influence 

The whole GT album is crazy!

I love Tame. It’s weird you bring that up because I had ‘Cause I’m A Man’ in my head all day. Not sure how I feel about their new album, but that song ‘On Track’ is so awesome, especially loud and in the car with it fading to various speakers. Kevin Parker’s production is one of a kind.

Watch this lady...... haha

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 1

While rock is my favorite genre, I do try to "Branch out" a bit. Like some country, some jazz (although I'm not a fan of freeform like Thelonious Monk), and rap (Nelly is my favorite there).

And I do like some classical. This piece is my favorite and, as morbid as it may sound, what I've told my family I want played at my funeral (no, nothing impending). It's also part of the soundtrack to a great movie...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

Great guitar play can make a song special.

Great Drum play often goes unnoticed util its not there.

But, no instrument adds more to a song than the piano, and so few can do it well.

Whether it be Elton John, Freddie Mercury, or Billy Joel, the piano in the right hands tops every other instrument when it comes to making great music.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2020 at 8:13 AM, IUFLA said:

While rock is my favorite genre, I do try to "Branch out" a bit. Like some country, some jazz (although I'm not a fan of freeform like Thelonious Monk), and rap (Nelly is my favorite there).

And I do like some classical. This piece is my favorite and, as morbid as it may sound, what I've told my family I want played at my funeral (no, nothing impending). It's also part of the soundtrack to a great movie...

I definitely like me some opera, so I can see this. It's funny you mention Monk in your post. I've told my wife that I want one of his songs played at my funeral. This one is a toe-tapper and makes you want to get up and dance.

Monk is pretty traditional, but I can see why you say "freeform" b/c he definitely has a unique approach to the piano. He's probably my favorite musician ever - I have over 30 of his albums here at home. He was just a super cool cat and had a rough life - including a stint at Rikers (60 days) when he refused to snitch on a friend. He also was at Bellevue a few times - he was unfortunately bipolar and undiagnosed for years. I will shut up now, I could talk about Monk for hours.

• Like 1

One of my most favorite classical tunes.  Ever since high school.  I've told this story before.  We had a radio station at my high school. And I had a daily classical music show, in the afternoons.  I would play Clair De Lune by Debussy as part of my show, daily. Because I loved it so much.  Then one day, my teacher/head of the radio station, told me to stop playing Clair De Lune.  A couple of days later, he told me to start playing it again. As he got his first and only call from a listener. A guy in Chicago.  Who listened to my show daily. And wondered why I had stopped playing Clair De Lune, because that was the main reason he tuned in daily.

CLAUDE DEBUSSY: CLAIR DE LUNE

4 hours ago, milehiiu said:

One of my most favorite classical tunes.  Ever since high school.  I've told this story before.  We had a radio station at my high school. And I had a daily classical music show, in the afternoons.  I would play Clair De Lune by Debussy as part of my show, daily. Because I loved it so much.  Then one day, my teacher/head of the radio station, told me to stop playing Clair De Lune.  A couple of days later, he told me to start playing it again. As he got his first and only call from a listener. A guy in Chicago.  Who listened to my show daily. And wondered why I had stopped playing Clair De Lune, because that was the main reason he tuned in daily.

CLAUDE DEBUSSY: CLAIR DE LUNE

I wasn't cultured enough in high school to know what classical music even was. 😜 It was all Metallica, Slayer, and classic rock for me.

As an adult, I really enjoy it and Debussy is a favorite. I love Clair de Lune, but Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun is probably my favorite of his.

Thank you  Brian Gleason  ( B Gleas on HSN)  for your like of my post about MJ's moonwalk.  Thank you for your time with the Boston Celtics. WOW. In fact. Thank you for all you do and have done for Hoosier Sports Nation.  We have so many great members. And YOU are one of them. 

Can't say enough.  However..... just for you. And because of your like about my post about MJ's moonwalk.  Again from Gary, Indiana.

Michael Jackson - Moonwalk Evolution (1983 - 2009) 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Funny side tangent. My mom once went on a date with Paul Anka. 

Now. That's a name I have not heard for years.  Just checked. He is still living.

Side note, rumor has it... he wrote this song for your mom.   J/K

Paul Anka - Put Your Head On My Shoulder 

Songs written by Paul Anka 

Edited by milehiiu
  • Haha 1

On 4/30/2020 at 9:26 AM, Lostin76 said:

I definitely like me some opera, so I can see this. It's funny you mention Monk in your post. I've told my wife that I want one of his songs played at my funeral. This one is a toe-tapper and makes you want to get up and dance.

Monk is pretty traditional, but I can see why you say "freeform" b/c he definitely has a unique approach to the piano. He's probably my favorite musician ever - I have over 30 of his albums here at home. He was just a super cool cat and had a rough life - including a stint at Rikers (60 days) when he refused to snitch on a friend. He also was at Bellevue a few times - he was unfortunately bipolar and undiagnosed for years. I will shut up now, I could talk about Monk for hours.

I listened to some of Monk's music (as well as John Coltrane's) after reading Kareem's "Giant Steps" in the mid 80s (libraries used to be great for listening to LPs without having to buy them). Listened again just recently on GPM. I don't know. I guess I just like the "traditional" jazz of Duke Ellington and Louis Armstrong if I'm listening to that genre.

I'll keep trying new stuff. Listened to some Miles Davis the other day and it grew on me some. I take a Bose Bluetooth speaker out to the barn everyday and fire it up loud while I'm working out there. I'm sure my neighbors like it when I'm listening to Merle Haggard, but not so much when I'm mucking to The Velvet Underground...