General Music Thread

IUFLA

14 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

Some more Steely Dan:

Babylon Sisters 

Rikki Don't Lose That Number

Aja

Probalby my fave band of all time. Couldn't agree more with anything from their catalogue. Personal faves: Black Cow, Don't Take me Alive, Haitian Divorce.

10 hours ago, D-BONE said:

Probalby my fave band of all time. Couldn't agree more with anything from their catalogue. Personal faves: Black Cow, Don't Take me Alive, Haitian Divorce.

I am not well versed or knowledgeable about the making of music, but these guys just blow me away.  The unique sounds and terrific lyrics leave me totally in awe of their creative genius.  Just this one doofus' musical opinion.   😊

16 hours ago, D-BONE said:

Lots of great stuff here. For classic Jazz buffs, really like Thelonius Monk, Herbie Hancock, and Billie Holliday. More recent - Kasami Washington and Snarky Puppy. Funk: Parlaiment Funkadelic & Lettuce. 

Now we are talking - have you listened to any Joel Ross (vibraphone) or Ambrose Akinmusire (trumpet)? They are part of the new blood with Kasami. Joel Ross' recent album Kingmaker is incredible and so is Akinmusire's On the Tender Spot of Every Callused Moment. As much as I love classic jazz like bebop and the more spiritual late 60s and early 70s stuff, I think some of the new jazz is really breaking new ground. I also like how they seem to have a lot of overlap/collabs with hip hop artists.

5 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

I am not well versed or knowledgeable about the making of music, but these guys just blow me away.  The unique sounds and terrific lyrics leave me totally in awe of their creative genius.  Just this one doofus' musical opinion.   😊

Yeah, those guys had the chops for sure. I love Steely Dan, but my wife cannot stand them. She gets that they are insanely talented, but she just doesn't like them.

16 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

Now we are talking - have you listened to any Joel Ross (vibraphone) or Ambrose Akinmusire (trumpet)? They are part of the new blood with Kasami. Joel Ross' recent album Kingmaker is incredible and so is Akinmusire's On the Tender Spot of Every Callused Moment. As much as I love classic jazz like bebop and the more spiritual late 60s and early 70s stuff, I think some of the new jazz is really breaking new ground. I also like how they seem to have a lot of overlap/collabs with hip hop artists.

No I have not. But will be sure to do so. Thanks for the tip!

11 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Let's rock...best rock drummer ever?

Love Zepplin and Bohnam...always between him and Keith Moon of "The Who" for favorite rock drummer. Love Stewart Copeland too.

As for Zepplin, love II, IV, Houses of the Holy, and Physical Graffiti.

I always thought if someone wanted to hear Moon's brilliance listen to "Quadrophenia" (and I can never grasp why some think "Tommy" is such a rock opera achievement when, in my view "Quadrophenia" is so much better). Just awesome. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Let's rock...best rock drummer ever?

I used to be really in to DMB in high school. I still say Carter Beauford is one of the most skilled drummers out there. That one one handed drum roll right before 3 minutes in the clip below, I mean come on...

......and then if you want to go above and beyond with skill, you need to learn about Terry Bozzio and The Black Page, which was written by Frank Zappa. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

I used to be really in to DMB in high school. I still say Carter Beauford is one of the most skilled drummers out there. That one one handed drum roll right before 3 minutes in the clip below, I mean come on...

......and then if you want to go above and beyond with skill, you need to learn about Terry Bozzio and The Black Page, which was written by Frank Zappa. 

I was waiting on Peart...I respect him and Rush...but I could never get into their music. Just wasn't for me....mainly the vocals.

I like DMB and Carter quite a bit...I've even seen them a few times live. He is definitely underrated.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I was waiting on Peart...I respect him and Rush...but I could never get into their music. Just wasn't for me....mainly the vocals.

I saw "Rush" at Franklin College in 1975 (I think). Peart hadn't been in the band all that long, but was very impressive. Kinda Keith Moon light to me.

And you're right...Geddy Lee's voice is hard to listen to...maybe that's why "2112" (a lot of instrumental work) is my favorite "Rush" LP.

And I think that's the same year I saw John Mellencamp at the Artcraft Theater in Franklin. He went by John Cougar then...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1