General Music Thread

IUFLA

27 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I saw "Rush" at Franklin College in 1975 (I think). Peart hadn't been in the band all that long, but was very impressive. Kinda Keith Moon light to me.

And you're right...Geddy Lee's voice is hard to listen to...maybe that's why "2112" (a lot of instrumental work) is my favorite "Rush" LP.

And I think that's the same year I saw John Mellencamp at the Artcraft Theater in Franklin. He went by John Cougar then...

My sister went to Franklin College. Geddy's voice just grates on me...I have tried to give him a listen at various points in my life and just can't do it. I think he is just one of those...like it or don't type singers....not much in between.

I have seen Mellencamp a few times live as well...although the earliest was late 90s...the last time was probably 11-12 years ago. He put on a good show each time I have seen him. One of my biggest regrets music wise, is I didn't go see Fogerty/Mellencamp on their tour in 2005 I believe.

Anybody have favorite live clips?

I have 2 that will always stick out:

1) My Morning Jacket on Late Night back in 2003. They blew away Conan, his reaction was priceless. 

2) The Rock N Roll HOF tribute to George Harrison. Prince just TEARS it up. Even Tom Petty was like "WTF is going on?" And then at the end Prince throws his guitar up in the air and it never comes down....I'll never figure that one out. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Anybody have favorite live clips?

2) The Rock N Roll HOF tribute to George Harrison. Prince just TEARS it up. Even Tom Petty was like "WTF is going on?" And then at the end Prince throws his guitar up in the air and it never comes down....I'll never figure that one out. 

For fave live clips, this is the correct answer.

• Like 1

For anybody who thinks Elton John was just a pop hit machine...this was in Central Park, NYC 1980. I saw virtually the same rendition (he opened the show with these 2) in St Louis on July 5th, 1982 in the shadow of the Gateway Arch at the VP Fair. They said over a million people were there that day. St Louis cops walked Elton right through the crowd disguised as one of them. It was hotter than hell, but a free concert with Quarterflash and Elton John? Come on, man...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

On 8/4/2020 at 2:54 PM, 5fouls said:

One thing that makes a great song is what kind of effect it has on you.  Regardless of where I am or how I feel, this is a song that always puts me in a reflective mood.  

Visiting a youth camp outside of St Petersburg Russia, a young American Missionary and his Russian friend sang this song for our missionary group. 
A concert I will not soon forget!

Talk about putting you in a reflective mood!

• Like 2

One of my favorite Dire Straits song is Sultans of Swing (duh). I recently purchased the new 45rpm two album set from Analogue Productions and I've never heard this album sound so good. Then I saw that the Lost in Vegas guys did a reaction video for the song. I love how they slowly realize how incredible this song is. By the end, after the guitar solos, they are all in.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

One of my favorite Dire Straits song is Sultans of Swing (duh). I recently purchased the new 45rpm two album set from Analogue Productions and I've never heard this album sound so good. Then I saw that the Lost in Vegas guys did a reaction video for the song. I love how they slowly realize how incredible this song is. By the end, after the guitar solos, they are all in.

I've actually been listening to Dire Straits quite a bit lately....excellent band.

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

What year? I saw them (with "LA Guns") in St Louis in October of 1988...

I saw them in November 1992 at Notre Dame. They did not have an opening act. I saw them again at Alpine Valley in summer 1993 with Ugly Kid Joe opening and again in Indy...around 2000 (?). How did you like them? They used to put on a really good show I thought...but I have heard they started piping in some of their music in concerts now...

3 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I saw them in November 1992 at Notre Dame. They did not have an opening act. I saw them again at Alpine Valley in summer 1993 with Ugly Kid Joe opening and again in Indy...around 2000 (?). How did you like them? They used to put on a really good show I thought...but I have heard they started piping in some of their music in concerts now...

Oh, they were great. The stage was in the middle of the St Louis Arena, and crowd sat all the way around it. they rocked. I'd been home from Greenland about a week, and our neighbors bought tickets for me and my wife as a going away present, as we were on our way to Florida. Afterwards, we went down to Laclede's Landing and tore it up...

I always remembered going to Laclede's Landing, it was the leaving part that was a bit foggy, especially that night... :) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Oh, they were great. The stage was in the middle of the St Louis Arena, and crowd sat all the way around it. they rocked. I'd been home from Greenland about a week, and our neighbors bought tickets for me and my wife as a going away present, as we were on our way to Florida. Afterwards, we went down to Laclede's Landing and tore it up...

I always remembered going to Laclede's Landing, it was the leaving part that was a bit foggy, especially that night... :) 

HA nice! They were "in the round" as well this concert. ND gym was packed and we were in the nosebleed section but it was me with a couple friends and our dates...and we had a blast! When I saw them at Alpine and Indy we had really great seats.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

I love these guys. The reactions to ‘Killing In The Name Of’ was great. 

• Like 1