General Music Thread

IUFLA

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

A little bit of a change in direction on how this thread has gone.

Story about Vinyl sales outpacing CD sales for the first half of the year.  The first time that has happened since the 1980's.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/13/tech/vinyl-records-cd-sales-riaa/index.html

Anyone here still spin vinyl? I started rebuilding my collection about 15 years ago - after a cousin sold all my albums when I was in boot camp. 😠

• Like 1

Just now, Lostin76 said:

Anyone here still spin vinyl? I started rebuilding my collection about 15 years ago - after a cousin sold all my albums when I was in boot camp. 😠

We have a player that spins vinyl.  But, it virtually never gets used.  My CD collection is about 30X larger and much more diverse than my vinyl collection.  Reality is I rarely listen to CDs any more either.  Have satellite radio in both cars and playing music at home requires headphones so as to not disturb others.  On those rare occasions where I'm home alone and in the mood, I'll crank something up.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

We have a player that spins vinyl.  But, it virtually never gets used.  My CD collection is about 30X larger and much more diverse than my vinyl collection.  Reality is I rarely listen to CDs any more either.  Have satellite radio in both cars and playing music at home requires headphones so as to not disturb others.  On those rare occasions where I'm home alone and in the mood, I'll crank something up.  

Love those rare occasions where you can just crank up the music w/o headphones.

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Nope, streaming service (Google Play Music) all the way...

I stream a lot at work or on the go and sometimes at home when I'm feeling too lazy to get up and flip sides.

Am probably 50/50 streaming and vinyl. Streaming for convenience and vinyl for best quality sound. Though some of the newer streaming services offer really high quality streaming and downloads - Tidal and Qobuz are both great.

13 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

I stream a lot at work or on the go and sometimes at home when I'm feeling too lazy to get up and flip sides.

Am probably 50/50 streaming and vinyl. Streaming for convenience and vinyl for best quality sound. Though some of the newer streaming services offer really high quality streaming and downloads - Tidal and Qobuz are both great.

I lost my LP collection in the early 80s...

I think I went to a party, and I think the host asked me to bring my LP collection (probably 70 or so...thanks Columbia House). I think when I went home, I left the LPs in my hatchback, and it was the dead of summer. I think I slept in. When I went out to get the LPs, they looked like something out of a sci-fi movie...

I think that's what happened...

By that time, CDs were all the rage, and I just never went back...

3908727?wid=1200&hei=1200&op_sharpen=1

59 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

I must have over 100 LP's stored in my basement.  Along with as much or more 45's.  And that's where they have stayed for years.  But I do have a way to play them in my office.  (Pic included)

48 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I lost my LP collection in the early 80s...

I think I went to a party, and I think the host asked me to bring my LP collection (probably 70 or so...thanks Columbia House). I think when I went home, I left the LPs in my hatchback, and it was the dead of summer. I think I slept in. When I went out to get the LPs, they looked like something out of a sci-fi movie...

I think that's what happened...

By that time, CDs were all the rage, and I just never went back...

Good old Columbia House! A Terre Haute facility that fueled many a vinyl and cassette collection!

24 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

3908727?wid=1200&hei=1200&op_sharpen=1

I must have over 100 LP's stored in my basement.  Along with as much or more 45's.  And that's where they have stayed for years.  But I do have a way to play them in my office.  (Pic included)

I really like the old fashioned look of that.

2 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

I grew up on cassette tapes then cds in 80s/90s but my parents/older siblings had many records. Some of my friends started buying me records for gifts a decade or so ago and I started buying a few here and there, but I bought several last year after my brother and sister bought me a new record player a year ago for Christmas. I have it hooked up to my stereo system with new Polk signature series speakers that can crank out the tunes. I currently have 60-70 records, over 500 cds and have spotify/amazon music. I am stubborn and will refuse to get rid of my physical media as we have plenty of room in finished basement I keep my stash in.

Edited by FritzIam4IU

43 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Good old Columbia House! A Terre Haute facility that fueled many a vinyl and cassette collection!

I really like the old fashioned look of that.

I do as well.  Got it at Walmart. Checked.  They still have it on line, if not in the stores. 

Side note. Though this has an old fashioned look  to it.  Still have several real  old time pieces of furniture in my house... owned by my parents. That I have had refurbished.  One is the 13 piece dinner table and chair set that sits in our dining room for special occasions, like for Thanksgiving dinners, and other things.... that is now over 100 years old.  And a Stromberg Carlson high boy radio set that my parents drove to Chicago to purchase, before we had a tv.... and when they turned it on, when they got home.... we learned about Pearl Harbor.

Spent many nights listening to old time radio on that set.  Before we had the first tv on our block.  Which I also have.