General Music Thread

IUFLA

2 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

Anyone here still spin vinyl? I started rebuilding my collection about 15 years ago - after a cousin sold all my albums when I was in boot camp. 😠

How big is your record collection now? I have 2 independent record stores about 30-40 minutes from me. Also Discogs is a good site if you want to buy anything online.

https://www.discogs.com/

Edited by FritzIam4IU

25 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I grew up on cassette tapes then cds in 80s/90s but my parents/older siblings had many records. Some of my friends started buying me records for gifts a decade or so ago and I started buying a few here and there, but I bought several last year after my brother and sister bought me a new record player a year ago for Christmas. I have it hooked up to my stereo system with new Polk signature series speakers that can crank out the tunes. I currently have 60-70 records, over 500 cds and have spotify/amazon music. I am stubborn and will refuse to get rid of my physical media as we have plenty of room in finished basement I keep my stash in.

Glad I'm not the only one! And I really love the larger artwork of albums and the cool detailed liner notes in print size that I can still read.

I was a child of the cassette (and boombox) age too - ended up listening to cassettes more than vinyl as a teenager, b/c we were always on the move. Cassette player in car and those huge battery-eating boomboxes.

I did end switching over to CDs when they were all the rage, but then end up selling my collection when MP3s became popular.

The only thing I am missing is the dedicated room like you have. My stereo is right out in the middle of our living room/kitchen area, but all my albums are stashed in a big closet and a couple credenzas. I'm currently at my limit for storage space though. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Glad I'm not the only one! And I really love the larger artwork of albums and the cool detailed liner notes in print size that I can still read.

I was a child of the cassette (and boombox) age too - ended up listening to cassettes more than vinyl as a teenager, b/c we were always on the move. Cassette player in car and those huge battery-eating boomboxes.

I did end switching over to CDs when they were all the rage, but then end up selling my collection when MP3s became popular.

The only thing I am missing is the dedicated room like you have. My stereo is right out in the middle of our living room/kitchen area, but all my albums are stashed in a big closet and a couple credenzas. I'm currently at my limit for storage space though. 

I regret selling my cassette tapes as I had quite a few. I never parted with my cds however. And yes, I had a boombox ha. Classic 80s. We used to bring a boombox to play tapes while we played baseball (or on occasion "tennisball" which we  played with a whiffle ball bat wrapped in duct tape and stuffed with newspaper because you could throw a mean curveball with a tennis ball).

• Like 1

In defense of streaming music...

I'm like everybody else on here...I have favorite albums and favorite artists...but I like hearing a wider variety of music, and to be honest, my favorite genre, "Classic Rock" was getting a little stale...

So I had started going through The Rolling Stones 500 greatest albums to see what I'd missed. My streaming service (Google Play Music...$15 a month for 6 people) allows me to do this. Additionally, @tdhoosierhas been kind enough to introduce me to some music and artists that I'd never heard of before, and I like quite a bit of it. He suggests, and I can immediately listen...

I can choose a particular artist, album, or a radio station based on a certain artist or genre commercial free and the fact I can skip something I don't care for makes it an obvious choice for me over Sirius/XM.

I understand some feel more comfortable with physical media, and that's fine...but just not for me at this point in my life...

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

How big is your record collection now? I have 2 independent record stores about 30-40 minutes from me. Also Discogs is a good site if you want to buy anything online.

https://www.discogs.com/

Love Discogs! It's the best way to track what I have and make sure I don't buy repeats.

This is my Discogs collection:

https://www.discogs.com/user/TheIncredibleHoke/collection

I've purchased tons on albums through Discogs, even a bunch of jazz from Japan. Are you on Discogs too?

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'm like everybody else on here...I have favorite albums and favorite artists...but I like hearing a wider variety of music, and to be honest, my favorite genre, "Classic Rock" was getting a little stale...

So I had started going through The Rolling Stones 500 greatest albums to see what I'd missed. My streaming service (Google Play Music...$15 a month for 6 people) allows me to do this. Additionally, @tdhoosierhas been kind enough to introduce me to some music and artists that I'd never heard of before, and I like quite a bit of it. He suggests, and I can immediately listen...

I can choose a particular artist, album, or a radio station based on a certain artist or genre commercial free and the fact I can skip something I don't care for makes it an obvious choice for me over Sirius/XM.

I understand some feel more comfortable with physical media, and that's fine...but just not for me at this point in my life...

Even though I prefer listening to records, I definitely recognize the importance and ease of streaming. It's also an incredible way to sample things before you decide to buy the whole album.

Yep, @tdhoosierwas the one who turned me onto Khruangbin on here and now I have two of their albums on vinyl. 🤠

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Fair enough, but if we ever have a 'Dating' thread, I hope you don't post something similar on it.  :coffee:

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Love Discogs! It's the best way to track what I have and make sure I don't buy repeats.

This is my Discogs collection:

https://www.discogs.com/user/TheIncredibleHoke/collection

I've purchased tons on albums through Discogs, even a bunch of jazz from Japan. Are you on Discogs too?

Even though I prefer listening to records, I definitely recognize the importance and ease of streaming. It's also an incredible way to sample things before you decide to buy the whole album.

Yep, @tdhoosierwas the one who turned me onto Khruangbin on here and now I have two of their albums on vinyl. 🤠

I have bought some from Discogs but I didn't list my albums on the site yet. I don't have nearly a large a collection as you do though..so it is easier for me to remember what I have ha. Your collection is impressive.

26 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I have bought some from Discogs but I didn't list my albums on the site yet. I don't have nearly a large a collection as you do though..so it is easier for me to remember what I have ha. Your collection is impressive.

Thanks! It's definitely a lot of work putting them all in there. I think I had like 200 albums when I started inputting them. I would just do a 10-20 each evening. Now, I just add them shortly after I get them.

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

IUFLA is kind enough to let me talk his ear off about music on PM. As he found out, sometimes once you get me going I have a hard time stopping. I have to restrain myself on the recommendations because he'll as for a recommendation and i'll have to fight the urge to not give him 9 more recommendations that he asked for. haha. 

I enjoy it though because has me going back in my 'electronic vault' to find stuff and i'll re-listen to albums i haven't heard in years. 

And because @Lostin76 brought up Khruangbin I have the urge to share some more groovy, dubby tunes. A little RJD2:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 5fouls said:

A little bit of a change in direction on how this thread has gone.

Story about Vinyl sales outpacing CD sales for the first half of the year.  The first time that has happened since the 1980's.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/13/tech/vinyl-records-cd-sales-riaa/index.html

Mile and Droogh must have me on ignore.  :coffee:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

IUFLA is kind enough to let me talk his ear off about music on PM. As he found out, sometimes once you get me going I have a hard time stopping. I have to restrain myself on the recommendations because he'll as for a recommendation and i'll have to fight the urge to not give him 9 more recommendations that he asked for. haha. 

I enjoy it though because has me going back in my 'electronic vault' to find stuff and i'll re-listen to albums i haven't heard in years. 

And because @Lostin76 brought up Khruangbin I have the urge to share some more groovy, dubby tunes. A little RJD2:

Oh man, SO good. Haven't listened to him in ages.

Reminds me of the time when my wife and I were at a very small concert in Bloomington and the opening act was this "unknown-to-us" act called Jurassic 5. Now, they are the group that we have seen the most live - saw them recently here in Brooklyn and it was the all original guys with grey in their beards.

J5 - Quality Control

Just good music with a good beat and good message!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Okay, Since we're all IU fans (and, yes @Stlboiler23we know you really are), then we have to at least be familiar with some of John Mellencamp's music.  So, I ask you HSN, what is your favorite Mellencamp song?

Mine is:

Not an IU fan but def love some JCM. My favorite would probably be Little Pink Houses. 

• Like 1

My dad was a diehard REO Speedwagon fan and we went to an REO concert every year. Just so happens he died of a heart attack in my hands at an Reo Speedwagon concert at White River State park in Indy.  It was tough at first but at least he was with me at a place he loved. A couple of our favorites 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Sad 1