General Music Thread

IUFLA

I'm going in a very different direction for a minute. This might not be very popular on the board and I get it. I do really enjoy most forms of music but for the past couple months I can't listen enough to Eminem and especially his newest album Music to be murdered by. Its not for everyone and the language turns a lot of people off but his word play, double and triple entendre. He may not be your cup of tea but as far as rap goes he is the best.

One song in particular really hits me and deals with some serious issues.  Darkness. Some explicit lyrics and serious subject matter. Video was much better before the warning at the beginning because it is a great job of telling 2 stories at once . Warning ruins that part though

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

I'm going in a very different direction for a minute. This might not be very popular on the board and I get it. I do really enjoy most forms of music but for the past couple months I can't listen enough to Eminem and especially his newest album Music to be murdered by. Its not for everyone and the language turns a lot of people off but his word play, double and triple entendre. He may not be your cup of tea but as far as rap goes he is the best.

One song in particular really hits me and deals with some serious issues.  Darkness. Some explicit lyrics and serious subject matter. Video was much better before the warning at the beginning because it is a great job of telling 2 stories at once . Warning ruins that part though

Man, I used to hate Eminem, but over the years as I've been exposed to more of his work and really listened to him, I realize the dude is crazy talented.

I remember a few years ago when Drake said something about a "rap battle" with Eminem and people are on Twitter were like, "Dawg, that's not a good idea..."

First time I've seen this one, but like you mentioned, the double/triple entendres are killer. When it shows him walking to the sink, talking about having alcohol breath - "as I reach for the Scope." But it's not the scope you think.

8 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I love it!!  They took Texas Swing and added in some bluegrass.

The Peterson's IMHO are really, really good. Matt is perhaps the weakest vocalist, but a great guitar player. All the girls are great vocalists.  They are out of Branson, Missouri.  And have a ton, of You Tube videos.

Take Me Home, Country Roads - The Petersens (LIVE) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Man, I used to hate Eminem, but over the years as I've been exposed to more of his work and really listened to him, I realize the dude is crazy talented.

I remember a few years ago when Drake said something about a "rap battle" with Eminem and people are on Twitter were like, "Dawg, that's not a good idea..."

First time I've seen this one, but like you mentioned, the double/triple entendres are killer. When it shows him walking to the sink, talking about having alcohol breath - "as I reach for the Scope." But it's not the scope you think.

so much talent its scary. My favorite triple came from a song  I Will,  he is paying homage to Wu Tang Clan 

That I startled my mom and had her scared to death
Word to Method Man
She heard some Wu-Tang coming from towards the patio
She was like, "What the heck was that?"
She went to check on the noise and go inspect the deck
Then I jumped out with a sword and yelled, "Protect your neck"

You have to know some things to get his lines. The Patio aka Deck Mom inspects the deck to see what going on

Inspectah Deck: Member of Wu Tang

When Em was growing up you listen to cassettes and they were in the tape deck, so mom wanted to inspect the deck to see what the noise was.  Thats a bad triple with homage

5 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

so much talent its scary. My favorite triple came from a song  I Will,  he is paying homage to Wu Tang Clan 

That I startled my mom and had her scared to death
Word to Method Man
She heard some Wu-Tang coming from towards the patio
She was like, "What the heck was that?"
She went to check on the noise and go inspect the deck
Then I jumped out with a sword and yelled, "Protect your neck"

You have to know some things to get his lines. The Patio aka Deck Mom inspects the deck to see what going on

Inspectah Deck: Member of Wu Tang

When Em was growing up you listen to cassettes and they were in the tape deck, so mom wanted to inspect the deck to see what the noise was.  Thats a bad triple with homage

Very cool, I need to check that out.

On 10/14/2020 at 6:38 AM, Billingsley99 said:

He and I share a birthday...10/17...😉

I am just a tad older, though...

• Like 1

The Queen of Sole. Had front row seats for her and the Pips in Vegas.  Actually a dinner table at the Flamingo.   Right next to the stage. Gladys stopped at table after table before us.. put a mic down for them to fill out lyrics to a song she and the Pips were singing.  No one got it right. Got to Mrs. mile.... who nailed it.  High fives from Gladys, and hand slaps from the Pips.

Gladys Knight & The Pips - Midnight Train To Georgia 

I heard this on the radio yesterday for probably the first time in 40 years.  Quite possibly the strangest song ever recorded and one of the more controversial.  It teases that a man is having a mental breakdown over the loss of his girlfriend, but in the end, you find out it was his dog running away that has upset him so much.

Title of the song is They're coming to take me away.  By Napoleon XIV.

Edited by 5fouls

29 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I heard this on the radio yesterday for probably the first time in 40 years.  Quite possibly the strangest song ever recorded and one of the more controversial.  It teases that a man is having a mental breakdown over the loss of his girlfriend, but in the end, you find out it was his dog running away that has upset him so much.

Title of the song is They're coming to take me away.  By Napoleon XIV.

Heck, the PC culture of the 80’s took that song off the air. Can’t imagine a radio station playing it today? What station were you listening to?

Did they also play Short People?

Edited by Drroogh

6 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Heck, the PC culture of the 80’s took that song off the air. Can’t imagine a radio station playing it today? What station were you listening to?

Did they also play Short People?

It was satellite radio.  I'm not sure which station, I flip constantly.  Was so stunned it was on the air, I forgot to look to see what station was playing it.