General Music Thread

IUFLA

21 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

From A Charlie Brown Christmas.

My favorite part is the dancing twins.

Peanuts Gang : Christmas Song "Linus & Lucy" - YouTube

Man, I love this album. I haven’t broken it out this year, but now that you have reminded me I will. I think Linus and Lucy is my favorite too, but I have to just let the whole album roll when I put it on. 

• Like 1

On 12/2/2020 at 7:52 AM, 5fouls said:

When I was in my teens an early adulthood, I did not care for this Christmas song.  As I've gotten older, and become much more reflective, it's one of my favorites (though I will always dislike the replacement of 'Christ' with the ;X').

Happy Xmas (War Is Over) - YouTube

Given that an argument could be made that Lennon was an atheist, doesn’t surprise that Christ was removed 

5 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Can't forget this Christmas song! One of the strangest duets ever, but it worked out great! 

David Bowie and Bing Crosby, Little Drummer Boy

I was going to post that, but got caught up in the basketball threads! Thanks!

I read that Crosby and Bowie practiced for 10 minutes and then nailed the first take...

Musical geniuses don't recognize time boundaries...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

Bing Crosby did the quintessential 'White Christmas', but others have done it and done it well.

Elvis recorded the most famous version of 'Blue Christmas', but others have done it and done it well.

Same with Nat King Cole and 'The Christmas Song'.

But no one has ever, nor likely ever will, come close to duplicating what Elmo and Patsy managed to accomplish with 'Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer'.  I can't fathom anyone else recording this song and it being anywhere close to the same.  

Elmo & Patsy - Grandma Got Run over by a Reindeer - YouTube

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I know some think he's a little corny, but I love singer/songwriters...nothing like a guy who can put an acoustic guitar on his knee and sing something beautiful...

Nothing corny about John Denver. Though he always reminded me of Cousin Oliver on the Brady Bunch. 

• Like 1