General Music Thread

IUFLA

For those 90's kids.....

Maybe it's just me but I was thought that Counting Crow's first and third album got the most hype, but i've been wearing out their second album lately: Recovering the Satellites. This album has aged so well, especially if you're a guitar driven nut. Many don't necessarily correlate Counting Crows and guitar but the riffs and solos on this album are so perfect. 

If you haven't listened to this album front to back since 1996, you need to give it a re-listen. 

• Like 4

22 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

For those 90's kids.....

Maybe it's just me but I was thought that Counting Crow's first and third album got the most hype, but i've been wearing out their second album lately: Recovering the Satellites. This album has aged so well, especially if you're a guitar driven nut. Many don't necessarily correlate Counting Crows and guitar but the riffs and solos on this album are so perfect. 

If you haven't listened to this album front to back since 1996, you need to give it a re-listen. 

TDH I told you back on page one, music helps me turn my brain off! Lyrics I don't hear. That was some good listening, thanks!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Ha, what year is it?

haha. I'm not sure what's going on this Friday, but the new songs released are just incredible. Spotify has a release radar it's catered list of new songs based on your listening habits. I listen to the list every Friday and there are normally a few good songs, but this week I'm 'hearting' almost every song. 

...Including a new Ryley Walker track, which for some reason I picture @Lostin76 listening to while drinking beer with his cats walking over him. Tell me I'm wrong. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

haha. I'm not sure what's going on this Friday, but the new songs released are just incredible. Spotify has a release radar it's catered list of new songs based on your listening habits. I listen to the list every Friday and there are normally a few good songs, but this week I'm 'hearting' almost every song. 

...Including a new Ryley Walker track, which for some reason I picture @Lostin76 listening to while drinking beer with his cats walking over him. Tell me I'm wrong. 

I like that guitar for sure. It’s funny, my wife often downloads the Spotify new music Friday playlist if we are driving to MD that weekend. Though it’s based on her listening habits, which skew towards pop and hip hop. There usually is some great stuff on there though. 

11 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Wonder what those groupies looked like... :D 

Ha ha. My friends cousin went to PU and she got the tix. Also..."No Doubt" was added to the concert at last minute as they just had that song "I'm Just a Girl" that was on the charts. Gwen Stefani was cute but we didn't know her music at all back then and walked in during middle of their set.

EDIT: I was curious and just looked this up...concert was April 3, 1996. I feel old.

Edited by FritzIam4IU
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Ha ha. My friends cousin went to PU and she got the tix. Also..."No Doubt" was added to the concert at last minute as they just had that song "I'm Just a Girl" that was on the charts. Gwen Stefani was cute but we didn't know her music at all back then and walked in during middle of their set.

EDIT: I was curious and just looked this up...concert was April 3, 1996. I feel old.

You feel old? I saw the Who and later CS+N back in Assembly Hall when it was new.  BB King, Jefferson Airplane and the Byrds in the old Stadium next to the Library.  Well, I didn't see clearly, that is.  And Chicago in the HPER building.  And Luther Allison at the Blue Bird.  

And now I have hearing aids and bifocals.  Just saw Santana a year ago. And Went to Abbey Road on the River a year ago.  Love blues and lively jazz...and live music outside.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Air Ball said:

You feel old? I saw the Who and later CS+N back in Assembly Hall when it was new.  BB King, Jefferson Airplane and the Byrds in the old Stadium next to the Library.  Well, I didn't see clearly, that is.  And Chicago in the HPER building.  And Luther Allison at the Blue Bird.  

And now I have hearing aids and bifocals.  Just saw Santana a year ago. And Went to Abbey Road on the River a year ago.  Love blues and lively jazz...and live music outside.

I saw Edgar Winter at AH when it was fairly new (1974?)...ELO and The James Gang (post Joe Walsh) opened...

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/8/2021 at 12:52 AM, mrflynn03 said:

Putting this in the music thread instead of the audiophile one. My favorite Dire Straits song. 

We were talking about this one in the audiophile forum because of how great is sounds. Anybody want to share their favorite ‘best mastered/produced’ albums. Dark Side of the Moon doesn’t count. :) In no particular order some of mine are:

REM - Automatic for the People

U2 - Achtung Baby

Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream: to this day I’m obsessed with the warmth of the guitar on that album. I think I read Billy layered a lot of the guitar tracks 3 times. Re-listen to ‘Hummer’ because it gives you a little of everything...it’s pretty much just showing off. 

Spoon - Gimmie Friction (One of @IUFLA’s new favorites)

...and this is a single and a simple song, but for some reason Streets of Philadelphia by Bruce always comes to mind of a perfectly mastered song. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

We were talking about this one in the audiophile forum because of how great is sounds. Anybody want to share their favorite ‘best mastered/produced’ albums. Dark Side of the Moon doesn’t count. :) In no particular order some of mine are:

U2 - Achtung Baby

Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream: to this day I’m obsessed with the warmth of the guitar on that album. I think I read Billy layered a lot of the guitar tracks 3 times. Re-listen to ‘Hummer’ because it gives you a little of everything...it’s pretty much just showing off. 

...and this is a single and a simple song, but for some reason Streets of Philadelphia by Bruce always comes to mind of a perfectly mastered song. 

The Beatles-Abbey Road

Fleetwood Mac-Rumours 

Steely Dan-Aja

Neil Young-After the Gold Rush

• Like 3

9 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

U2 - Achtung Baby

Automatic for the People is really well done, so is Siamese Dream. Great choices!

8 hours ago, IUFLA said:

The Beatles-Abbey Road

Fleetwood Mac-Rumours 

Steely Dan-Aja

Neil Young-After the Gold Rush

I would have mentioned Rumours and Aja for sure. I have a beat up old copy of Aja that still sounds incredible. I have a super fancy 45rpm double album set of Rumours that’s amazing, but I’m not too keen on the songs being spread over four sides instead of two. 

When I got the new edition of Rumours I put our old one out on the sidewalk one day with a bunch of aother albums for people to take for free. My wife happened to leave right afterwards before anyone had taken it and she texted me “You can’t get rid of Rumours!” 

7 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Neil Young- Harvest

Tracy Chapman - self titled

and I would agree with @IUFLA about Fleetwood Mac-Rumours

Neil Young’s albums are usually very well recorded and mastered. 

My own additions that hasn’t been mentioned would be:

Cowboy Junkies - The Trinity Sessions 

Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation

Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

And too many jazz albums to list. Nothing sounds like a good jazz quartet or trio that’s well recorded. Something about the all acoustic instruments just creates magic through your speakers. 

• Like 3