General Music Thread

IUFLA

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

I wrote a few songs. 

@tdhoosiercan you give me some chord suggestions 20220429_104051.thumb.jpg.4805255c5c16e20a779c031478fef464.jpg

....a music theory lesson in 2 minutes:

Think of the notes in a circle A through G. Most pop/rock songs use the I, IV and V chords because they are major chords. So if you're in the key of C (or you start in C), the I (first) chord will be C, the ii - Dm, the iii - Em, the IV - F, the V - G, the vii - Am, the viii - Bm.

The joke you see on t-shirt like linked below is in the key of G, because those are easy chords to play on guitar.

Throw in a iv minor for some depth and then have some fun. 

BUT, you're song seems dark and sad. Most sad songs are in minor. So following the same rationale as above, just flip the minors and the majors (I, IV and V now being minor chords). If you're looking for easy guitar chords to finger then stick with the key of Am (see below).

image.png.e8e4f637196913f6cfd4abfa6a5f246d.png

image.png

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

....a music theory lesson in 2 minutes:

Think of the notes in a circle A through G. Most pop/rock songs use the I, IV and V chords because they are major chords. So if you're in the key of C (or you start in C), the I (first) chord will be C, the ii - Dm, the iii - Em, the IV - F, the V - G, the vii - Am, the viii - Bm.

The joke you see on t-shirt like linked below is in the key of G, because those are easy chords to play on guitar.

Throw in a iv minor for some depth and then have some fun. 

BUT, you're song seems dark and sad. Most sad songs are in minor. So following the same rationale as above, just flip the minors and the majors (I, IV and V now being minor chords). If you're looking for easy guitar chords to finger then stick with the key of Am (see below).

image.png.e8e4f637196913f6cfd4abfa6a5f246d.png

image.png

When I wrote the song I had Hurt by NIN and Jason Isbells song cover me up in my head. 

I pretty much wrote an album and a novella in rehab in Henryville.  That's why I was gone for 30 days. I'm going to get back to teaching myself guitar. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

When I wrote the song I had Hurt by NIN and Jason Isbells song cover me up in my head. 

I pretty much wrote an album and a novella in rehab in Henryville.  That's why I was gone for 30 days. I'm going to get back to teaching myself guitar. 

Glad that you were big enough to get help if you needed it. I can't imagine it's an easy thing to admit to yourself. I hope you are doing well and stay well. 

Hurt is one of those sad Am songs. I'm not sure it's technically in the key of Am, but it starts there. Am - C - D. Other sad songs that start in Am that I can think of off the top of my head are Stairway to Heaven, One by U2 (Am-D-F-G), Don't Cry by GnR (Am-Dm-G-C), etc. I'm sure more will come to me after I hit send. 

...oh and Unforgiven. (an easy one to play)

And speaking of Metallica, a great Em song that's great to play on guitar is Nothing Else Matters.

If you need any help or have guitar questions let me know. It won't be a bother because I always love to talk about guitar. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Glad that you were big enough to get help if you needed it. I can't imagine it's an easy thing to admit to yourself. I hope you are doing well and stay well. 

Hurt is one of those sad Am songs. I'm not sure it's technically in the key of Am, but it starts there. Am - C - D. Other sad songs that start in Am that I can think of off the top of my head are Stairway to Heaven, One by U2 (Am-D-F-G), Don't Cry by GnR (Am-Dm-G-C), etc. I'm sure more will come to me after I hit send. 

And speaking of Metallica, a great Em song that's great to play on guitar is Nothing Else Matters.

If you need any help or have guitar questions let me know. It won't be a bother because I always love to talk about guitar. 

So I'm listening to hurt right now. I absolutely love Metallica.

Unforgiven 1,2, and 3 are great songs. 

Im down with talking guitar.  I'm 3 chords rock and roll and country. 

I'm self taught and can play rhythm. I want to play like Slash. 

Metallicas st anger sucked balls. I hated that album. Except for some kind of monster. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Maybe one day we can do a jam session.  If I remember correctly you are from Valpo?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

Yep. 

Now I'm missing my guitars. My 2 favorite ones are in the shop getting some fret work done. 

I have an acoustic alvarez and a squire Strat and a vox amp. Still thinking about adding a double humbucker

Edited by mrflynn03
Forgot the R

23 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I have an acoustic alvarez and a squire Stat and a vox amp. Still thinking about adding a double humbucker

I'm a fan of putting a humbucker in for the bridge pick up because the single coil sounds too harsh (it needs a little more meat) for my liking. That, and I don't play jangly country. But I'd never remove my single coils in the middle or at the neck because then why have a Strat? To me, that's sacrilegious. haha. Those are what make a Strat sound like Jimi, Stevie, John Frusciante, etc. 

If you want want a Slash tone just ditch the Strat and get an Epi Les Paul. You won't get that by putting in all humbuckers in Squire Strat. And by the time you buy decent humbuckers and get them installed you're halfway to the price a new guitar anyway. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

I'm a fan of putting a humbucker in for the bridge pick up because the single coil sounds too harsh (it needs a little more meat) for my liking. That, and I don't play jangly country. But I'd never remove my single coils in the middle or at the neck because then why have a Strat? To me, that's sacrilegious. haha. Those are what make a Strat sound like Jimi, Stevie, John Frusciante, etc. 

If you want want a Slash tone just ditch the Strat and get an Epi Les Paul. You won't get that by putting in all humbuckers in Squire Strat. And by the time you buy decent humbuckers and get them installed you're halfway to the price a new guitar anyway. 

What if I keep the strat and buy a Les Paul anyway. And while I'm at it an Epiphone and a telecaster. 

My neighbor also taught me how to play drums. I used to be able to play the banjo and ukulele.

Edited by mrflynn03